Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Fire Hall?

Quote Originally Posted by mnb811 View Post
    WHATEVER THE TOWN GIVES IS TAX DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obviously YOU DO NOT GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you sir are the one that DOES NOT GET IT. the town contracts with the fire companys in the same manner that it contracts with waste management. They are contracting for a service. The Town Board does NOT have any more authority over the fire assets(trucks&buildings) than it has over how waste management replaces it's garbage trucks. PERIOD. END OF STORY. You highly educated morons can debate till you are blue in the face about how the taxpayers should have a say in the fire company budgeting process just because we pay our tax bill. Go debate how new your garbage truck is and what that might cost. Maybe you should have control of that too. IDIOTS.

Its comical how there are fire companies out there that purchase fire trucks every five years, vehicles for their chiefs (including unlimited fuel cards) every 5 years, have brick 3 story fire halls with somewhere around a dozen different rooms you can get lost in....ahem.....newton abbott......ahem, and you are arguing how your tax dollars are spent in Boston with 25 year old trucks, NO chiefs vehicles, and steel 4 bay garage with no extra ammenities.

You know this is getting boring. Your right these guys spend WAY too much money around here on frivelous things.......

I saw a garbage truck in front of my house the other day that looked pretty new now that you mention it. They probably should have rebuilt that truck instead of buying a new one.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by slitter View Post
    I saw a garbage truck in front of my house the other day that looked pretty new now that you mention it. They probably should have rebuilt that truck instead of buying a new one.
    How many miles does a firetruck drive a year versus a garbage truck?

Doesnt matter, they could have gotten 15 more years out of it if they rebuilt it.

Also the town spends $720,000 a year on fire protection and $546,120 on getting your garbage picked up. A difference of $173,000. You know down in concord they dont have garbage collection. The town could eliminate that and save over half a million dollars instantly. Now thats a tax savings.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Here is something interesting..

Pratt Moves Forward With Replacing Fire Engine

Pratt Commissioners passed a motion to replace the city's 33-year-old fire engine instead of paying about $42,000 in repairs.
    Reporter: Lily Wu
    Read more

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    How many miles does a firetruck drive a year versus a garbage truck?
    Miles cannot be compared apples to apples. Have you ever heard the engine of a garbage truck scream at high RPMs like a fire truck with its pump running, those pumps put a lot of strain on them and they get pushed to high limits when you have all that pressure at the end of a hose. Also have you ever seen a garbage truck start up on a freezing winter day and by the time the garage door gets up the pedal is to the floor with barely enough time for oil to get to the bearings in the engine? Didnt think so, those guys are defenitely not in a hurry. Not to mention the firemen themselves that strain and wear out their own personal vehicles from doing the same thing. I dont see any of them warming up their cars when its 2am and zero degrees outside so they can get to a call. When I was in the fire company my truck would knock all the way to the hall, never complained about why my truck quit at 90,000 miles. I knew why.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston99 View Post
    you sir are the one that DOES NOT GET IT. the town contracts with the fire companys in the same manner that it contracts with waste management. They are contracting for a service. The Town Board does NOT have any more authority over the fire assets(trucks&buildings) than it has over how waste management replaces it's garbage trucks. PERIOD. END OF STORY. You highly educated morons can debate till you are blue in the face about how the taxpayers should have a say in the fire company budgeting process just because we pay our tax bill. Go debate how new your garbage truck is and what that might cost. Maybe you should have control of that too. IDIOTS.
    Once again name calling defeats any logic or purpose you have. A fire company is a public non profit entity that gets homeland security money and whose members get a government pension and is governed by laws of the municipality and State of NY am I correct? Waste management on the other hand is a private entity who gets money by the people it contracts to and covers more than the Town of Boston. Last I heard other than the contracted services they provide they do not get state and federal funds for equiptment and the like. The Town Board can fire either one of you but the difference is Waste Management will just find someone else to provide services for and not cry and scream and call people names while the fire companies can't.

Its comical how there are fire companies out there that purchase fire trucks every five years, vehicles for their chiefs (including unlimited fuel cards) every 5 years, have brick 3 story fire halls with somewhere around a dozen different rooms you can get lost in....ahem.....newton abbott......ahem, and you are arguing how your tax dollars are spent in Boston with 25 year old trucks, NO chiefs vehicles, and steel 4 bay garage with no extra ammenities.

You know this is getting boring. Your right these guys spend WAY too much money around here on frivelous things.......

If you hadn't noticed I put Orchard Park on this thread as wasting money also. So just don't think all this is just about you and your fire company. Each and everyone of the fire companies in Erie County need to be watched. Res posted an article about a33 year old truck being rebuilt but obviously you think you need new not refurbished.Its obvious from your posts you feel the need to compete with Newton Abbott since they have a lot better stuff. Which is exactly the point I was trying to make. Which is instead of building a new garage to accomodate the bigger and bigger new trucks (in your words not mine) refurbish the old ones and keep the same damn garage!
    Last edited by mnb811; March 16th, 2012 at 11:20 PM.

Who doesnt get it? Duh genious, of course its tax dollars. You made the statement that your taxes go UP so they can buy a new truck. Show where they went up to buy a truck.

And I get it all right, this is getting fun!
    I made my point in several ways but obviously you either refuse to acknowledge it or can't comprehend it.

Once again name calling defeats any logic or purpose you have. A fire company is a public non profit entity that gets homeland security money and whose members get a government pension and is governed by laws of the municipality and State of NY am I correct? Waste management on the other hand is a private entity who gets money by the people it contracts to and covers more than the Town of Boston. Last I heard other than the contracted services they provide they do not get state and federal funds for equiptment and the like. The Town Board can fire either one of you but the difference is Waste Management will just find someone else to provide services for and not cry and scream and call people names while the fire companies can't.
    lets see, homeland security money is tax dollars, but "a private entity that gets paid by the people it contracts to" is not? I dont care how many towns pay waste management. The fact is they get over half a million dollars from the town of bostons tax dollars. Eliminate garbage pickup, save half a million dollars tommorrow. concord can do it so can we.

I made my point in several ways but obviously you either refuse to acknowledge it or can't comprehend it.
    Ditto...........

lets see, homeland security money is tax dollars, but "a private entity that gets paid by the people it contracts to" is not? I dont care how many towns pay waste management. The fact is they get over half a million dollars from the town of bostons tax dollars. Eliminate garbage pickup, save half a million dollars tommorrow. concord can do it so can we.
    Were not talking garbage my friend were talking FIRE COMPANIES! Start a new thread. Show some accountability. Lets see, your really losing here! First you call me names and second you try changing the subject to deflect questions and suggestions to save money. Obviously when you do this there is a PROBLEM. People tend to see right thru it.

Government, Police & FireSelectmen Approve Contract To Rebuild Fire Truck
    The town will save $470,000 versus the cost associated with buying a new apparatus, the Fire Chief said.

By Harold F. Cobin Email the authorNovember 23, 2009 Email Print Comment The fire department received approval Monday night to have its 16-year-old ladder truck rebuilt at a cost of $703,000.

Fire Chief Christopher Ackley told the Board of Selectman the rebuild will save the town $470,000, compared to the cost of a new truck.

Ackley said the department wanted to get the contract signed now in order to avoid having to install a new diesel engine that meets federal pollution control requirements going into effect in 2010. He said diesel engines meeting the new requirements cost an additional $25,000 to $30,000 and use technology requiring additional maintenance.

The contract, which was approved unanimously by the town's three selectman, calls for the truck to be returned to its Ohio manufacturer, Sutphen Corporation, which delivered it in 1993. The body and chassis will be replaced, and its 95-foot-long ladder boom will be rebuilt.

Ackley said the finished truck will meet the current standards of the National Fire Protection Association for firefighting apparatus.

Ackley said that despite careful maintenance and moderate use, "rust is becoming a critical factor with the chassis and frame," and the engine and transmission are having mechanical problems. He said the rebuilt truck will likely be serviceable for an additional 15 years or more, and might be worth rebuilding a second time in the future.

The work on the truck will take six months, Ackley said, during which Sutphen will lend the town another truck. He said the company will provide a two-year warranty on the entire vehicle and eight years on the paint. The engine manufacturer, Cummins, and transmission manufacture, Allison, will provide five-year warranties on their equipment.

First Selectman Gordon F. Joseloff said he remembered the day the truck was put into service, and found it remarkable how quickly time had past that it needed to be rebuilt.

As you notice in this article the truck can even be rebuilt a second time after this one. So your excuse that trucks are getting bigger so we need a new garage just doesn't wash!

The past few years have presented some of the most difficult economic challenges for our country since the Great Depression. Municipal governments are struggling to provide services in all areas as their income has decreased. A combination of lower real estate transfer tax, sales tax receipts and other funding streams have all decreased to the point where for the first time in years many municipalities are having to consider reducing the level of services including closing of libraries, schools and lay offs of some municipal employees. It should come as no surprise that the fire service would be included in an analysis of government services that would come under review for possible budget reductions, particularly with respect to capital purchases for fire apparatus. In many communities the cost of a new engine apparatus or other pumper /ladder trucks would most likely be the most expensive piece of rolling stock that would be acquired by the municipality. Simply stating that “we need a new pumper right now” or "they are getting bigger we can't fit them in the door so we need a new building" will not satisfy those in charge of approving large capital cost equipment especially when the total amount of the purchase will impact the budget in a single year or over several ensuing years. We need to look at everything including Slitters favorite subject Garbage! Please start another thread I would love to hear people complain about unsanitary conditions and going to be overun by rats comments!

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information