Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: If you were Sheriff...

Quote Originally Posted by pilot56 View Post
    No one was killed. Think about it, if there are reports of about 15 people fighting in a gym you are going to be hauling @ss to get there.
    if you got a fight i guess you got to get there. i have a question since you are talking about pd cars why is it when cops are at a red light they go through them put there lightds go through the light shut the lights off and continue to drive normally? also you guys in apd have a k-9 dog do you know if it's a female or male? i'm a male and looking for a girlfriend my friends in cheek, and nfta are all males.

Quote Originally Posted by pilot56 View Post
    No one was killed. Think about it, if there are reports of about 15 people fighting in a gym you are going to be hauling @ss to get there.

Not me!

Quote Originally Posted by cheekman View Post
    if you got a fight i guess you got to get there. i have a question since you are talking about pd cars why is it when cops are at a red light they go through them put there lightds go through the light shut the lights off and continue to drive normally? also you guys in apd have a k-9 dog do you know if it's a female or male? i'm a male and looking for a girlfriend my friends in cheek, and nfta are all males.
    Generally they do this when they are responding to a call and they may just have to get through a busy intersection or make a quick turn around. If the place they are responding to is nearby they may want to "sneak up" if it is something such as a burglary in progress, in which case they usually "black out" all of their lights. Not sure about the dogs I don't work for APD I just know some people, Sorry.

ok thanks for the infoe... i gues i'll keep sniffing, i'll ask my friend at U.S. Customs k-9 she might know.

If I was a cop, I'd get people for littering. I hate it when people litter. Why can't they just keep the trash in their car and put it in a trash can when they get a chance to? I'd also pull people over for speeding but would give them a break if they are polite. And I'd give them advise as to what the next steps are because I know how getting a speeding ticket is a pain in the butt and most have no clue as to what the next steps are. I'd let them know if they've not gotten a ticket in some time, they can take online traffic courses instead of having to take a whole day off work to attend a traditional defensive driving school. There are lots of other things I would do but I guess this is good for now.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    If I was sheriff I would make sure everyone in the department was up and up.

Any employee/officer who was not up and up would be made an example of. Why, because it tarnishes the entire department and gives a bad name to the officers/employees that serve the public well. I would also hold accountable any officer who knew what was going on if they were just holding a blind eye to the situation.

Accountability, transparency

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    If I was sheriff I would make sure everyone in the department was up and up.

Any employee/officer who was not up and up would be made an example of. Why, because it tarnishes the entire department and gives a bad name to the officers/employees that serve the public well. I would also hold accountable any officer who knew what was going on if they were just holding a blind eye to the situation.
    things we would like to see. Good thought WNY Resident. This is an interesting thread. Officers in my opinion have the hardest job I believe. Especially in the city.

If I were sheriff, I would put safety first of course we all say the same thing, it's like the beauty contests, the always say, "world peace".

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    things we would like to see. Good thought WNY Resident. This is an interesting thread. Officers in my opinion have the hardest job I believe. Especially in the city.

If I were sheriff, I would put safety first of course we all say the same thing, it's like the beauty contests, the always say, "world peace".
    Yes the job is rough. Safety is a huge facet of the job: safety of the police, the community they protect and even the perpetrator of the alleged deed. Safety of life and property.
    These all are a priority and impossible to rank any order of importance.
    There was a person who spoke about a cop who is not on the "up-and-up,_ should be made an example of. No one s above the law regardless of occupation or profession. "making examples of people is retributive in nature. One should be held accountable if one has done wrong. the standard of accountability is impartiality. It is especially difficult when one who holds such high position of public trust as a police officer and he/she violates that trust...It makes us that much more vulnerable...
    Cadphael

Quote Originally Posted by traf2009 View Post
    If I was a cop, I'd get people for littering. I hate it when people litter. Why can't they just keep the trash in their car and put it in a trash can when they get a chance to? I'd also pull people over for speeding but would give them a break if they are polite. And I'd give them advise as to what the next steps are because I know how getting a speeding ticket is a pain in the butt and most have no clue as to what the next steps are. I'd let them know if they've not gotten a ticket in some time, they can take online traffic courses instead of having to take a whole day off work to attend a traditional defensive driving school. There are lots of other things I would do but I guess this is good for now.

The things you mentioned are standard Operating procedures at my Dept. except I did not know about the defensive driving course on line. that would still fall under the DMV aspect of matters who facilitate those things Not the cops.
    Secondly, just because one is polite does not mean they do not get a ticket. Other factors weigh in...is this the first time you have stopped them? are they in an emergency situation like getting home to get the kids off the bus? are they just polite to get out of a ticket? a cop first considers the violation of law then considers possible mitigating circumstances... As far as keeping people from littering...thats an individual decision for the one who litters. I can no more stop a person from littering as a i can from speeding or robbing someone. Its pretty much reactive. Was it President Mckinley(former Sheriff of erie County who said," people should think less about what the cops aren't doing to stop crime. Pople should think more about how they should obey the law."
    Cadphael

Quote Originally Posted by cheekman View Post
    red lights activated for lawful reasons are the sign of authority established that give the rights to proceed to the police. It is also a signal/ safety to other motorists pedestrians. Cops have calls stacked up people waiting. If we stayed and waited for every light we wouldn't get anything done. As long as safety conditions are met and it's not just cause my order is ready at the cafe we must be able to proceed..."with due care" another reason for driving with the red lights off... most people are not paying attention to the road and other traffic see the red lights are on the people sometimes drive into the ditch cause they are so startled by the red lights. or drive into the oncoming lane or a whole host of things cause people dont pay attention
    Cadphael

I like what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadphael View Post
    Yes the job is rough. Safety is a huge facet of the job: safety of the police, the community they protect and even the perpetrator of the alleged deed. Safety of life and property.
    These all are a priority and impossible to rank any order of importance.
    There was a person who spoke about a cop who is not on the "up-and-up,_ should be made an example of. No one s above the law regardless of occupation or profession. "making examples of people is retributive in nature. One should be held accountable if one has done wrong. the standard of accountability is impartiality. It is especially difficult when one who holds such high position of public trust as a police officer and he/she violates that trust...It makes us that much more vulnerable...
    Cadphael
    Trust is something we tend to fear though. Because of our vulnerability and because people have been hurt in way or another. But we need to respect our officers again. I think we tend to follow the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Trust is something we tend to fear though. Because of our vulnerability and because people have been hurt in way or another. But we need to respect our officers again. I think we tend to follow the norm.
    I know exactly what you mean. I do my best every day to earn the respect of all I come in contact with. The ones that go to jail and the ones that dont alike. 98% percent of the cops I know do the same thing. I've been working on getting rid of the other 2%. It back fired and I got in deep. It cost me dearly. I am still fighting .... all the same.

In not just this field, but

Quote Originally Posted by Cadphael View Post
    I know exactly what you mean. I do my best every day to earn the respect of all I come in contact with. The ones that go to jail and the ones that dont alike. 98% percent of the cops I know do the same thing. I've been working on getting rid of the other 2%. It back fired and I got in deep. It cost me dearly. I am still fighting .... all the same.
    in other fields or line of work, there is always that 2% that should get their a-- kicked out.

Look at what's going on in Albany~~Bruno~~is one example, does the public have respect for their politicians? H--- no. Not anymore more. Public opinion is one way to gage the line of work that serves the people. Officers serves and protects the people. I still have faith that they do just that.

Keep fighting!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information