Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: If you were Sheriff...

Quote Originally Posted by FJB View Post
    Sounds like you might be the only cop I have heard about recently that cares more about the community then about their quota's. Unfortunately your in the minority.

I live pretty simply by some idealistic, strict construcionist principles laid down by our forefathers. The minority has been quiet too long. Thiss allows the fat cat beaureaucrat to entrench itself in the system. Running for public office is a good way to make the minority voice heard: win or lose doesn't mean you don't make an impact.

Sounds like you might be the only cop I have heard about recently that cares more about the community then about their quota's. Unfortunately your in the minority.
    If you don't want a ticket, don't break the law. It's as simple as that!

Quote Originally Posted by pilot56 View Post
    True enough. There is also the idea of discretion. FJB has some issues to sort out for sure. Where I come from I am in the main stream as far as ideology and practice. Every profession has a bad apple every so often. Police Officers are held to a higher standard and when folks see the power trips and authority binges among a few of them in public places it tends to build the stereo type. TV does that too. "Cops" and "CSI" are the worst for that but good entertainment. Happy New year Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadphael View Post
    True enough. There is also the idea of discretion. FJB has some issues to sort out for sure. Where I come from I am in the main stream as far as ideology and practice. Every profession has a bad apple every so often. Police Officers are held to a higher standard and when folks see the power trips and authority binges among a few of them in public places it tends to build the stereo type. TV does that too. "Cops" and "CSI" are the worst for that but good entertainment. Happy New year Everyone.
    Happy New Year,,

ps I think Judges are the worst

Unregistered
    True enough statement. But the fact is that most posted speed limits are 20- 25 mph lower than the realistic safe speed for that road. That is done so the townships can make money on people driving above the posted speed limit.

I believe I'm right when I say that a posted speed limit in PA was challenged about 10 years ago in court. The plaintiff won and his accusation was that the town had posted the speed limit far lower than other roads of the same sort just to make money on it. A judge and jury said he was right and the speed limit was changed.

Here in NY our roads are posted lower than most of the rest of the nation. I-90 itself is 65 mph and and it was hell getting it to that speed limit. Go two states south and it's 70mph for the same stretch of road.

I honestly believe that town officials use the cops as a taxing income and the cops are happy to do it as long as they get a cut for newer cars and better equipment. You and I are only the cash cow for their personal agendas. That needs to stop.

Unregistered
    Just imagine if you were pulled over speeding and the first words out of the Officers mouth were " Are you all right? Is everything OK?"

Instead it's always "do you have any idea how fast you were going?"

Cops always assume someone is speeding because they had no idea of what they were doing. I would like to see concern before accusations from our police force.

Just imagine if you were pulled over speeding and the first words out of the Officers mouth were " Are you all right? Is everything OK?"

Cops always assume someone is speeding because they had no idea of what they were doing. I would like to see concern before accusations from our police force.
    Well, if a person is speeding they must not know what they are doing because they are breaking the law. The only time I can see where it would be acceptable to speed is when you are taking someone to the hospital for something life threatening.

Buy the way, almost all of the money from tickets goes to the state, not the town.

It is impossible for you to know that cops "always" assume the worst. The acredited agencies officer's start by asking questions. One is "Do you know why I stopped you?" If there is a problem in the vehicle it will be readily apparent. You write from a presupposition that "all"cops only act out of a motive to do harm to the good law abiding citizens.

The thread is what makes a good Sheriff(candidate). The NYSSA has a dopted a list of qualifications they think is good see the NYSSA website and read about it.
    NEW YORK STATE SHERIFFS' ASSOCIATION
    2008 WINTER TRANING CONFERENCE
    RESOLUTION REGARDING
    STANDARDS FOR THE ELECTED SHERIFF
    AND APPOINTED UNDERSHERIFF
    http://www.nysheriffs.org
    Tell me if you agree or disagree with what all NY state sheriff's believe make up the best qualifications for the elected position of Sheriff. Please start another thread if you want to keep dumping on cops.

Here in NY our roads are posted lower than most of the rest of the nation. I-90 itself is 65 mph and and it was hell getting it to that speed limit.

I honestly believe that town officials use the cops as a taxing income and the cops are happy to do it as long as they get a cut for newer cars and better equipment. You and I are only the cash cow for their personal agendas. That needs to stop.
    Yes you are right. Cops don't pay taxes either and therefore don't mind when taxes go up cause they get a new pair of boots to wear through the dog poo yards of people who whine over the fact that someone drove by their house too slow and looked at them.
    I-90 is a state road not a town road. there is merrit to yourt idea that fines and surcharges are used as a source of revenue but the speeds and rules are established by the NYS dept of motorvehicles not local municipalities. I.E the commisioner of motervehicles and NY state legislature.
    Pennsylvania only has a state police. the town constable that act as sort of civil officers. they are a commonwealth and there burroughs have diffferent rules than NY state.
    Your objection to an abuse is being projected on all law enforcement everywhere which just does not apply as a rule to "all" LE everywhere. Sweeping bald asertions are week arguing points.

Imagine wanting the newsest and best equipment and reliable cars. the scoundrel cops. I would rather a cop have an old junky gun and car thats transmission is so bad it has no power when a guy is robbing me or raping my children. Especially if it saves me a couple bucks.
    "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."
    Cadphael for Sheriff

Quote Originally Posted by Cadphael View Post
    Imagine wanting the newsest and best equipment and reliable cars. the scoundrel cops. I would rather a cop have an old junky gun and car thats transmission is so bad it has no power when a guy is robbing me or raping my children. Especially if it saves me a couple bucks.
    "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."
    Cadphael for Sheriff
    Yep, nobody seems to want the police driving fast or talking on their cell until they are responding to an emergency at their house.

Yep, nobody seems to want the police driving fast or talking on their cell until they are responding to an emergency at their house.
    How about the amherst cop driving like a nut friday night that hit another car
    going to a fight call. thank god no one got killed. These guys need to slow down when the roads are that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
    How about the amherst cop driving like a nut friday night that hit another car
    going to a fight call. thank god no one got killed. These guys need to slow down when the roads are that bad.
    Uh....Not if they are responding to an officer who is hurt.

Uh....Not if they are responding to an officer who is hurt.
    broken leg????? but lets kill someone on the road because the guy drives like a nut in bad weather, is this the only car amherst has?

broken leg????? but lets kill someone on the road because the guy drives like a nut in bad weather, is this the only car amherst has?
    No one was killed. Think about it, if there are reports of about 15 people fighting in a gym you are going to be hauling @ss to get there.

is this the only car amherst has?
    12-15 on regular patrol at a time.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information