Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were Sheriff...

I am sorry i misunderstood your reply and gave a dumb answer. Enforcement of these infringements is usually coupled with discretion. A person may get stopped for the violation but the ticket may not be issued based on circumstance when the officer asks all the questions.
    Last edited by Cadphael; November 2nd, 2008 at 09:55 AM. Reason: I misunderstood your answer to my question then I reread what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466 View Post
    Drink and bragg about all the DUI stops they make. Go to Curlys in Auburn some Night.
    They are not me. Drinking is legal in the New York. it's the driving part that's not. if they drive they should be arrested and stripped of their position. I will not make excuses for the cops who bring shame to the badge. I will not accept the criticism for them either.
    So to boil it down you see a hyocrisy in the profession and from what you are saying a Sheriff will be of such character so as to discourage the deputies in his dapartment from drinking and carrying on as if the badge has entitled them. is that fair.

The issue of ethics and being of good reputation, showing temperance in behavior is one issue. Not being a monkey for the man is another. What about the take home car issue verses fleet cars? How about inmates paying a portion for their room and board so to speak? What thoughts for budgetary management? Programs that work well for inmate rehabilitation or programs that don't work well. how about work release programs. People eating only sandwiches and no coffee. etc ettc.

Should inmates get cable TV. law libraries?

Quote Originally Posted by Cadphael View Post
    I am sorry i misunderstood your reply and gave a dumb answer. Enforcement of these infringements is usually coupled with discretion. A person may get stopped for the violation but the ticket may not be issued based on circumstance when the officer asks all the questions.

You know thats funny,I have been stopped a few times for speeding,I have always been a gentelman,Hands on the wheel untill the officer comes up to my window.When heasks for registration I always say its in the glove box.Always yes sir no sir,and I never get a warning> So excuse me if I aint a police lover.The last Ticket I was doing 66 in a 55 I paid $250.00 to the Town Judge who did me a big favor and reduced it down,no points just no money. Like I said I am 59 and when I was a kid I respected cops,not anymore.

If you want some advice, consider Sheriff Joe Arpaio, as someone with good ideas.

http://www.mcso.org/
    If it weren't for the United States Military, there would be NO United States of America !

sherrif should work with the courts, guard the prisons and holding center. let the local cops do traffic. and tell any town that does not have police to hire some quick.
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob View Post
    sherrif should work with the courts, guard the prisons and holding center. let the local cops do traffic. and tell any town that does not have police to hire some quick.

I agree In Pennsylvania thats all they do and thats all they should do.State Police want to bes. It always amazes me If you aint good enough for thae Varsity why would you want to play second string.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by JustRetired View Post
    If you want some advice, consider Sheriff Joe Arpaio, as someone with good ideas.

http://www.mcso.org/
    The best Sheriff, a shining example of how a sheriff's office should be run!

To the 59 year old who lost respect for cops because he was caught doing 11 miles over the limit, and was given a break from the prosecutor so that he didn't get points on his license: Lets clear this up.
    1. You were stopped for speeding, one mile over the limit is speeding, no numbers are associated with it. I.e. if between 56-60 is this and 61-65 is that, just exceeding the speed limit.
    2. It is the legislature who writes the laws and or City, County, Town or Village boards, and they attach a violation fine schedule, not the cop.
    3. the friend who reduced your speed so that you could get the points not added to your insurance but have to pay the fine so that the local government and not the state receives the fine money. He/she can't reduce the ticket from speeding to speeding at a lower speed, and lets face it you were speeding, and its against the law BUT lets put the cop on the line here, hay why didn't the bastard give you a break??? What is he/she the cop supposed to do, especially now when everything is video taped? Also, where do you work, lets say a furniture store; that you own, should the cop come there and walk out without paying for merchandize? No, of course not because whether you owned it or not he/she should have to pay for the item, just like everyone else has to follow the rules of the road. It really irrates me that its just the whiners who complain, the ones who break the rules and get a ticket, I bet they didn't complain all the other times they did break the law and weren't caught, did you!
    Get real and slow down.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ127 View Post
    A police officer takes an oath and is sworn to uphold the laws to protect the people of the community they serve.
    This has so many meaning that, I wonder why you just focus on the "hidden tax" of ticket writing; what about the other so called "hidden taxes" of costs of a simple form, or building codes, etc., (so numerous to express with this writing)? It's the elected officials who need to govern the will of the people and reduce spending and "hidden taxes" where possible. If a law enforcement officer were to be in a situation of protecting the "people-majority" .Vs a minority of self righteous people, including politicians, then I know that the police would protect the rights of these people in the majority!!
    I have graduated the police academy and I am a certified Police Officer in Florida. I can tell you that everyone in my class got into it to protect their community and try and make things better for people.

I also can tell you that Florida and NY are much different from each other. When I was in FL the police would be more concerned about what was wrong with a situation then worrying about writing a ticket. They would ask why you were speeding and if it had any legitimate pretense then people were, more often than not, let off the hook. In NY it's safe to say that 99.9% of people get the ticket and the town prosecuter will offer(so kindly,LOL) to reduce it to a parking ticket. The only reason is so the town can keep the money for a revenue source.

People are fed up of everything and many are just waiting for the next revolution. You see it all the time. Some guy taking his family to a hold out in the boondox to fight the feds off with force. We lable them as nut cases but it is getting more frequent.

I believe that eventually we will be at a tipping point that the police will have to decide whether or not to use force against a group that has desented and refuses to obey the rules of a runaway government. At that time what decision will the cops make. Will they enter and shoot, or refuse to use force? That will decide the next step in any civil revolt. Like it or not the Feds have killed citizens because they disagreed with the way people are living their own lives. If that happens here, do you think the police would stand between the feds and our citizens or will they join them? If the shooting starts what side will the police be on?

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ127 View Post
    The best Sheriff, a shining example of how a sheriff's office should be run!

To the 59 year old who lost respect for cops because he was caught doing 11 miles over the limit, and was given a break from the prosecutor so that he didn't get points on his license: Lets clear this up.
    1. You were stopped for speeding, one mile over the limit is speeding, no numbers are associated with it. I.e. if between 56-60 is this and 61-65 is that, just exceeding the speed limit.
    2. It is the legislature who writes the laws and or City, County, Town or Village boards, and they attach a violation fine schedule, not the cop.
    3. the friend who reduced your speed so that you could get the points not added to your insurance but have to pay the fine so that the local government and not the state receives the fine money. He/she can't reduce the ticket from speeding to speeding at a lower speed, and lets face it you were speeding, and its against the law BUT lets put the cop on the line here, hay why didn't the bastard give you a break??? What is he/she the cop supposed to do, especially now when everything is video taped? Also, where do you work, lets say a furniture store; that you own, should the cop come there and walk out without paying for merchandize? No, of course not because whether you owned it or not he/she should have to pay for the item, just like everyone else has to follow the rules of the road. It really irrates me that its just the whiners who complain, the ones who break the rules and get a ticket, I bet they didn't complain all the other times they did break the law and weren't caught, did you!
    Get real and slow down.

Thanks Sargent Preston. Years ago I owned a Auto parts store and all The coppers that came in always said Oh I am a Cop for ?Whats my price. Dont lecture me.

You know thats funny,I have been stopped a few times for speeding,I have always been a gentelman,Hands on the wheel untill the officer comes up to my window.When heasks for registration I always say its in the glove box.Always yes sir no sir,and I never get a warning> So excuse me if I aint a police lover.The last Ticket I was doing 66 in a 55 I paid $250.00 to the Town Judge who did me a big favor and reduced it down,no points just no money. Like I said I am 59 and when I was a kid I respected cops,not anymore.
    this thread is about what I can do to make a good Sheriff in my area. I want to hear about what works in your area. Your thoughts on programs cost savings etc. I can go all day on the good cop bad cop thing.

Secondly you admitted to violating the law (A FEW TIMES) A repeat offender. You deserve the ticket. Stop speeding and blaming the cops for your indiscretion. But this thread isn't about that Start another one and I will be glad to rehabilitate you on the difference between mercy and justice. I agree tickets fines and surcharges have risen to be cruel and unusual punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadphael View Post
    this thread is about what I can do to make a good Sheriff in my area. I want to hear about what works in your area. Your thoughts on programs cost savings etc. I can go all day on the good cop bad cop thing.

Secondly you admitted to violating the law (A FEW TIMES) A repeat offender. You deserve the ticket. Stop speeding and blaming the cops for your indiscretion. But this thread isn't about that Start another one and I will be glad to rehabilitate you on the difference between mercy and justice. I agree tickets fines and surcharges have risen to be cruel and unusual punishment.
    I talk on my cell phone to,I drive with out a seat belt and I smoke in resturants and Bars. Yes sir I am a real badd ass. Go preach some where else.
    Oh when the Vatican calls and tells me you made saint get back to me.10-4

Question

"I have graduated the police academy and I am a certified Police Officer in Florida. I can tell you that everyone in my class got into it to protect their community and try and make things better for people."

Certified; but have you ever been on the job?
    Plus, you live in Hamburg, New York?

"I also can tell you that Florida and NY are much different from each other. When I was in FL the police would be more concerned about what was wrong with a situation then worrying about writing a ticket. They would ask why you were speeding and if it had any legitimate pretense then people were, more often than not, let off the hook."

The police but not you as you aren't and never worked as a police officer, have you?
    Now you reside in Hamburg, New York....

Revolt, must be why you live in NYS, and pay one of the highest taxes in the Union or are on welfare. A real cop knows what is right to do pertaining to most everything, especially during civil unrest. Have you ever faced an angry crowd, out numbered? its no fun, and I bet you'd be the one who would run away from someone with a gun, while the cop runs toward the threat trying to make your scared ass safe!
    Last edited by TheQ127; November 3rd, 2008 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spl

Angry

I talk on my cell phone to,I drive with out a seat belt and I smoke in resturants and Bars. Yes sir I am a real badd ass. Go preach some where else.
    Oh when the Vatican calls and tells me you made saint get back to me.10-4
    hummmm and you needed to sell these items to the cop, why? What were they going to do?? Did you ever think of reporting them to their supervisors? No, sounds like you whimped out, just like you are now when you say you violate the laws of the land, I bet ya cheat on your wife and gamble away your wages so that your family has to live on welfare etc.,
    Get a life ya bum!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information