Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: School board 2012

School board 2012

Is it too early???

NEVER too early.....NOW IS THE TIME to start planning BEFORE the May vote!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here's a great saying by Mark Twain: "In the first place God made idiots. This was for practice. Then he made school boards.”
    In other more simpler terms "Don't waste your time!" The district is to far gone to save. No one has the guts to do what is right and the ones that do get fustrated with the torment inflicted on them and quit. Don't blame them one bit.

I disagree. The vote went down last May and only a handul of teachers were cut....NO aides of administrsators. If it goes down again this year they will be FORCED to start cutting their friends.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by literal View Post
    I disagree. The vote went down last May and only a handul of teachers were cut....NO aides of administrsators. If it goes down again this year they will be FORCED to start cutting their friends.....
    I agree, voters need to play close attention this May election. A definite NO for all the incompetent candidates they want to recycle and a NO for the budget. Get down to the bare basic, educate the children.

Vote NO for the budget then vote for Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck or whoever else for school board. It'll implode before you know it and in the meantime you will save the candidates who really want change from being tormented for doing what's right. It's a waste of time. Let the state take the district over!

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder View Post
    Vote NO for the budget then vote for Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck or whoever else for school board. It'll implode before you know it and in the meantime you will save the candidates who really want change from being tormented for doing what's right. It's a waste of time. Let the state take the district over!
    OH my.... What on earth will happen to the people that were put into a position of someone elses job?? ( that were fired, as to open this said position) I no,,,, unemployment!

It is NOT so simple as people losing jobs, although that will happen. It is about choosing life. Something drastic has to happen to turn the tide for the FUTURE of the children.
    The district needs a VISIONARY! If you were seriously ill would you go to an MD who treated you cosmetically? I doubt it. You put your life and TRUST in a doctor that will exhaust every possible treatment to save you.
    The district has PLENTY of money pumped into it by grants etc. over the years BUT it has not been used wisely. It goes for JOBS..........WHO will be brave enough to stop the insanity????????????

The state will NOT take over the district! The best you will get from them is a good laugh!!!!

The district belongs to the COMMUNITY/TAXPAYERS who have to do the right thing.....there is no one else to blame. Every "YES" vote over the years by taxpayers and the BOE brought us to the damage you see today! Why is it soooooo hard to say NO?
    Last edited by literal; January 1st, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post OUR neighbor next door, Frontier District already started!

Quote Originally Posted by ChangeNeededNow View Post
    Is it too early???
    Catching up on old newspapers, I found this article interesting........I really like what the princi"pal" has in place.

City & Region
    Frontier Schools
    Father, son eye seats on board

By Karen Robinson
    News Staff Reporter

Publishedecember 26, 2011, 12:00 AM
    4 Comments
    School Zone blog
    The News' education page
    A Frontier School District father and son are double-teaming the Frontier School Board.

Davis A. Podkulski, a senior and student government president, told the School Board last week that it should appoint a student to the board. His father, Richard A. Podkulski, accompanies his son to meetings.

At the same time, speculation is swirling that the father may be considering a run for the School Board next spring — which he has not ruled out. The family has ties to the district. Richard Podkulski’s sister, Lucille Bogold, works in accounts payable in the district’s business office.

Addressing the board last week, Davis Podkulski said he was frustrated the board has not acted on the issue, which was raised previously by board member Jack Chiappone. He also said the student government and student body are disenfranchised by not being represented on the board.

“I would be more than happy to take that position, like a guinea pig, to see how it works — to finish the year. I’d like to leave that legacy with the district,” the student said in an interview.

Since early fall, the Hamburg son and father have regularly attended board meetings.

“When my son mentioned he would run for student government president, I told him I expect him to attend the School Board meetings so he understands what is going on and can share with the student body what the board is discussing,” the father said. “I took it upon myself to ensure that he goes and attended with him.”

The issue of student representation is new to Jeff Sortisio, high school principal for the past four years. Sortisio, who organized a principal’s advisory cabinet, made up of 28 students from ninth through 12th grades, said the issue has never surfaced.

Some board members have said they are willing to consider the request. Others, meanwhile, are opposed to the idea.

Richard Podkulski is a senior project manager at Praxair and a member of the McKinley- Scranton Taxpayers Association.

krobinson@buffnews.com

Comments

Sort:NEWEST FIRST | OLDEST FIRST

Any board bylaws can be revised for an ex efficio board member, including voting, debate, and motions. I don't see a problem with this if the proper regulations or limitations are put in place. We should be encouraging all of our kids to participate in the governmental process, I like the idea.

JEFF CONRAD, BUFFALO, NY on Tue Dec 27, 2011 at 09:55 AM

the question that begs to be asked of the father that is apparently in a responsible position at Praxair......
    in your world -sir....even next year if your son was hired as an intern at Praxair - what would be the dollar value of his signature on invoices to be approved ?.........exactly NOTHING - so why are you encouraging your son to seek a postion that involves being part of a board approving TENS OF MILLIONS of dollars of taxpayer money ?

ROBERT WENDT, BUFFALO, NY on Mon Dec 26, 2011 at 07:17 PM

agree with Mr Catalano - a student should not be on a school board.....a student has NO monitary investment and no real life experience on which to base decisions .
    His/her vote would be based on popular student wish lists.......isnt it enough that non tax paying renters already vote on spending property owners money?

The concept that renters some how pay property tax is a stretch - there is no way- no how for a landlord to recoup the increases in school taxes that we have seen over the past 15 or so years.....with all the govt subsidized rentals competing with tax paying landlords - rent is very -very competitive and many times doesnt even cover the costs of doing business.....many private landlords are just turning dollars and waiting for the inevitable major repair / upgrade /replacement costs to hit them in the face.

there should be a conflict of interest law that prohibits someone from sitting on a school board when they.... or family work for the district.....the fathers sister works there according to the article.

This concept of inbreeding is far to common in todays school districts and is a MAJOR reason the huge budgets get passed - the other is the contingency budgets punish students while still costing taxpayers dearly - so other than trying to make a statement - there is little reason to vote down proposed cadillac school budgets .....and voters dont.

ROBERT WENDT, BUFFALO, NY on Mon Dec 26, 2011 at 02:33 PM

No student should be a voting member on any school board. Children should not be in charge of how much school taxes anyone pays. That's just nuts.

BOB CATALANO, DERBY, NY on Mon Dec 26, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    ************************************************** ****************************************
    Citizens' involvement of their school/city business at any level thrills me! We need much more community in-put and watch-dogging of how THEY run OUR show, don't you think?!?

Communications from Citizens:
    11.Annette Iafallo, School Clerk – requests use of Bocce Court for special school election on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 between the hours of 12 noon and 9 pm.
    Ordinances

What's this about????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Special election for vacated 145th Assembly district seat.

Not for the school. This must be for bonding or something.

I jumped the gun on that one. Thought it was something else.

Has anyone found out about this "Special Election" yet? I guess it seems like the city told them they are unable to use the bocce court?

Recreational facilities at Truman School?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information