Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bass Pro Shop ?

Unregistered

Bass Pro Shop ?

Tony Masiello says the Bass Pro Shop will draw
    people to the area and they are even planning to have hotel inside. This area is already surrounded by Bass Pro shops
    you don't have to go too far to find one or two
    North, theirs one in Toronto Ont
    West, theirs one in Detroit MI
    South, theirs one in Harrisburg PA & one in Cincinnati OH
    East, theirs one in Auburn NY Finger lakes
    And their are about 70 Bass pro shops already in the country & they will be opening new Bass pro Shops in Denham Springs,
    Louisianna, Council Bluffs Iowa, Independence Missouri,
    Columbia Missouri, Pearl Mississippi, If little citys & towns
    like them are getting them. whats the big deal!
    Take a look for youself www.Bassproshop.com
    It would have been a bigger Deal if a Super Wal Mart would
    have moved into the old Aud or they would have Made into Indoor waterpark or Indoor amusement park, what a waste ?
    Bass Pro shop might draw people from maybe Sloan or Batavia
    Batavias residents will probally go to the one in Auburn NY
    because the sales tax is cheaper, parkings free & they can shop
    at night and not get robbed or have their car broken into. thats
    if their car is still their. Now I know what the hotel is for. that's so when you go shopping their and it's gets dark out, you can go right to your hotel room, without having to worry about getting robbed, what a good idea Tony

I'll be honest.

I wondered that too..

do people REALLY "take a weekend" to visit a freaking tackle shop?
    The truth from a troll is still the truth.

I agree with you and your alter ego on ONE POINT

Don't get too excited old sport.....

LMFAO

COMMON SENSE dictates that a bait and tackle shop is a poor choice to hang your hat on....
    The truth from a troll is still the truth.

There is no way that a sporting goods store is going to bring in 8,000-13,000 people a day, 365 days a year (that's what it needs to do to meet projected customer numbers), into downtown Buffalo.

With 400 jobs and a $8 million payroll, that means the average salary is about $20,000 a year ... or about $9.60 an hour. Again, that's average, and this being a retail enterprise, let's face it, most of those jobs are really going to be parttime sales clerk positions making less than $9/hour.

Each of those 400 jobs is going to cost the state, county, and city taxpayers $165,000 in subsidies.

If, and that's a big if, the store actually met its sales goals, it would bring in about $14 million a year in sales taxes, with the state share about $7 million. As I understand it, the building would be owned by NYS, and government buildings don't generate local property tax revenue.

A "Great Lakes Museum" run by a non-profit group? Yeah. That sounds like the Everything-Belongs-in-Downtown crowd's attempt to move the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society from its current home to downtown.

I haven't figured out what the angle is, but this project makes absolutely no economic sense. It has scam written all over it, though. All I can believe is that this some kind of payoff to the downtown developers. As per usual, the developers will be the only ones to get rich off this, and the taxpayers will get stuck with another bill for a another white elephant.

The real pay off is giving Uniland the waterfront.
    Most people feel it should not all go to one developer for some grand plan that relies on three hundred million of tax payer money.
    You think Bass pro smells fishy (pun intended) this raid on the public treasury makes a minnow out of that deal.
    At least with Bass Pro you might get a bait store out of the deal, the Uniland project will cost everything and come to nothing.
    Same old, same old.
    That is the one we ought to stop from happening.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

I partially agree with this concern about multiple Bass Pro's, but your missing the important detail that this Bass Pro in Buffalo will be much bigger than many of those other Bass Pro's. For example the one in Detroit and the other one in NY State will pale in comparison with the amout of activities and entertainment that the Buffalo one will have. The Buffalo one will be the 3rd largest in the Nation.

Also, Linda ... side detail... but I think the Great Lakes museum will be focusing on... the...Great Lakes. It won't have any impact on the Historical Society. I read somewhere that we actually do have a small Great Lakes museum downtown somewhere and they will probably be involved with the new musem. Don't be too quick to judge downtown development as a negative against the rest of the city. Buffalo will also be investing in the Museum District where the Historical Society & Art Musem are. There are plans to build a new bldg for the Birchfield-Penny art center there and improve delaware park and improve the 198. I believe there are renovations to the Historical Society bldg going on right now. Why are you so against downtown?

News watch

If you been watching the news on this Bass Pro issue you will agree its becoming a lesser attractive company. THe tax payers here will pay for this store for the next 50 years. I say let Bass Pro leave the way it came....quitely walk away.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

The Mayor pushes things through whether Buffalonians like it or not, such as the convention center in the Statler hotel. Even after it's a dead dog issue he still whimpers about it. He has not had an original thought since he began his first term as mayor. I wish he'd get some OBJECTIVE consultants, who have no ulterior motives whatsover, to come up with some ideas, then get another objective group to debate the idea.
    If Bass Pro wants to establish a business here, let them do it. And they should pay for it.

The facts in jennifer's post are as inaccurate as her grammar & spelling.

Let me preface my remarks by saying that I don't hunt, I don't fish, and I've never been to a Bass Pro shop.

The Aud will become a Bass Pro Outdoor World store.

The Bass Pro shop in Springfield Missouri is 300,000 square feet and is Missouri's number one tourist attraction

The Bass Pro in Auburn is only 85,000 and is billed not as an "Outdoor World" store, but instead as a smaller-scale "Sportsman Center". There's more info at this link.

Auburn is in Cayuga County, which has an 8.25% sales tax; equal to that of Erie County

Finally, jennifer, you seem to have an irrational fear of downtown Buffalo:

Boo hoo. You have to pay to park. Name one downtown of a 100,000+ resident city in the country where that's not true. Suck it up. Maybe Bass Pro will validate your parking, cheapskate.

Boo hoo. Your car might be broken into. As if that didn't happen in the suburbs

I'm so tired of ignorant, insulated, scared people from the suburbs who daren't go downtown because of all the bad things that might happen to them. What a crock. You can check the stats yourself.
    This website makes money off of a depraved and idiotic conspiracy theory.

Too many people have an irrational fear of downtown. There's nothing scary about it. If you don't want to pay for parking, drive to UB South and take the Metro Rail in. Of course, the same people probably have an irrational fear of the Metro Rail too.

As a suburbanite, I understand the complaints people have about going into the city. Yes you have to pay for parking. Yes, there are a couple of one-way streets. Yes, you might have to yield for the occasional person crossing the street (). But seriously, downtown Buffalo is hardly NYC or Boston. The most atrocious traffic I've seen is the ~8 minutes it took me to get from Chippewa & Ellicott to Elmwood after the Lion King let out Friday night. Parking cost me $2 for the entire night.

Suburbanites need to get out of the suburbs sometimes too. Why can't blocks and cul-de-sacs just get along?

Unregistered
    To Wny4clark:
    Bass pro Shop is the number one tourist attraction
    in the state of Missouri, not just because of the one in Springfield Theirs a total of 5 bass pro shops in the citys of
    St. Louis, Branson, Springfield, Columbia, so they got
    5 Bass pro shops in that state, thats why Bass Pro is Missouri
    number one tourist attraction

Downtown is like an island to west, is Lake Erie
    To South abandon Grain Elevators, the polluted
    Buffalo River, Old Republic steel site(Hickory Woods)
    Thats Buffalos private Love canal and to the North the
    lower westside And the crime problems. And the best
    for the last. to the east , SLUMS, CRACK HOUSES,
    MORE SLUMS, Vaccant buildings, DRUG Dealing
    on almost every corner, garbage & trash all over
    the streets; gangs,

OH YA! Crime does happen in the suburbs, But different
    type of Crimes: Buffalo has daily shootings, stabbings,
    gang fights, murders, not to the mention Burglars
    Stollen cars that Suburbs have. But the majority
    of their crimes are loud music, & DWI's , go look
    at the Bees newspaper police blotter for towns Orchard Park,Lancaster, Clarence & other suburbs, theirs not very much crime. Aleast in the Suburbs you have aExcellent police departments & Great response times , In Lancaster you'll have 6 police cars with educated officers at your home in minute or two for a barking dog or loud music vs Buffalo, You lucky to get a police car with in hour for stolen car. Go Buy a Police Scanner and listen to Buffalo polices calls, I promise you, you won't be disappointed , Constent calls for Serious crimes.

PS for my Grammer & Spelling Mistakes, that an examples
    of the Poor school systems in this area and the overpaid
    teachers that Drink Coffee all day & Have Teachers
    assiants doing all the work. But I Think their typos
    from trying to laught too hard & type at the same

I went to the Bass Pro in Auburn on my way back from Syracuse a few weeks ago. First off, don't try to recreate my trip. The "Bass Pro at this exit sign" is a big, fat lie. Sure, it might be the closest exit on the Thruway, but Bass Pro is at least 30 mins away from the Thruway, and it's a poorly marked drive.

I know the Buffalo store is going to be bigger, but I just can't imagine that this will be that big of a draw. Basically, I just hope it makes enough money to stay open, the mom and pops aren't hurt too bad, and bass pro spurs some other development around it. My (far-fetched) hope is that they could kinda take the Bass Pro "concept" and expand it to other sports, particularly basketball. I've said this in a Bass Pro thread before, but build a basketball court, let people mess around, have college kids and coaches come in and give clinics. I know WNY has a lot of outdoorsmen, but does Buffalo? Doesn't it seem weird to anyone else that a store's target area is shaped like a doughnut?
    Remain calm!! But run for your lives if necessary!

Originally posted by jennifer7
    To Wny4clark:
    Bass pro Shop is the number one tourist attraction
    in the state of Missouri, not just because of the one in Springfield Theirs a total of 5 bass pro shops in the citys of
    St. Louis, Branson, Springfield, Columbia, so they got
    5 Bass pro shops in that state, thats why Bass Pro is Missouri
    number one tourist attraction

Downtown is like an island to west, is Lake Erie
    To South abandon Grain Elevators, the polluted
    Buffalo River, Old Republic steel site(Hickory Woods)
    Thats Buffalos private Love canal and to the North the
    lower westside And the crime problems. And the best
    for the last. to the east , SLUMS, CRACK HOUSES,
    MORE SLUMS, Vaccant buildings, DRUG Dealing
    on almost every corner, garbage & trash all over
    the streets; gangs,

OH YA! Crime does happen in the suburbs, But different
    type of Crimes: Buffalo has daily shootings, stabbings,
    gang fights, murders, not to the mention Burglars
    Stollen cars that Suburbs have. But the majority
    of their crimes are loud music, & DWI's , go look
    at the Bees newspaper police blotter for towns Orchard Park,Lancaster, Clarence & other suburbs, theirs not very much crime. Aleast in the Suburbs you have aExcellent police departments & Great response times , In Lancaster you'll have 6 police cars with educated officers at your home in minute or two for a barking dog or loud music vs Buffalo, You lucky to get a police car with in hour for stolen car. Go Buy a Police Scanner and listen to Buffalo polices calls, I promise you, you won't be disappointed , Constent calls for Serious crimes.

PS for my Grammer & Spelling Mistakes, that an examples
    of the Poor school systems in this area and the overpaid
    teachers that Drink Coffee all day & Have Teachers
    assiants doing all the work. But I Think their typos
    from trying to laught too hard & type at the same
    If your grammar and spelling suck, it's easy to blame the educational system. It's difficult to go out and learn how to do it. You've taken the easy way out. Too bad for you.

And read the article to which I linked: it is the Outdoor World store (1 store) in Springfield, MO that is the #1 tourist draw in all of Missouri. Bigger than Branson. Bigger than all the other Bass Pros in Missouri. It goes to show you that the presence of a Bass Pro in Toronto and Auburn will have a negligible effect on the draw that the one in the Aud will have.

I wonder when the last shooting occurred in the downtown core?
    This website makes money off of a depraved and idiotic conspiracy theory.

Unregistered
    What you need to do, is Put on your scanner(or go buy one
    if you don't have one) & listen to the Buffalo police
    Channels. I promise you, It won't be too long before your here A Shooting. Also listen to the Buffalo Fire Channels, With all the Firehousing closing. your hear how long it takes to respond to
    calls and realize that their are big gaps of protection, & yet they
    plan on closing more firehouses & tell everyone thats ok,

What is Bass Pro competeing with for biggest tourist attraction in Mussori?
    Whats there besides Bass Pro?
    Niagara falls? The Empire State Building? Statue of Liberty? Ellis Island?
    There are a few attractions in New York that might outshine this glorified bait store.
    As far as the ecomomy, four of the hated Wal-marts will do the same thing and provide the same number of jobs at the same level of pay and benefits.
    And they will do it with out a big influx of our harder to come by taxpayer dollars.
    The county is a fiscal nightmare. According to the same politicians that are praising and trowing money at Bass Pro, the city is on the verge of insolvency.
    How about some retooling and restructuring.
    There are better things to do with that money.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information