Thread: Aurora officials differ on importance of trying to ‘civilize’ Cazenovia Creek

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Aurora officials differ on importance of trying to ‘civilize’ Cazenovia Creek

Aurora officials differ on importance of trying to ‘civilize’ Cazenovia Creek

The stretch of Cazenovia Creek winding through East Aurora and toward Majors Park is becoming more popular among kayaking and canoeing enthusiasts.
    But there seems to be disagreement over just how “natural” the creek should be.
    Village Trustee Peter Mercurio said he wants the creek cleared of dead tree limbs and debris so that more residents can take to the water.
    Read the full story by Karen Robinson

Hell, why not go all the way, fill it in then pave it so power walkers and baby carriages can use it.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I think they should add some architecturally significant canoe docks with matching garbage cans. While we are at it don't forget some doggy pooper bag stations along the paved path.

I think some of those people were deaf. They were told the creek can't be disturbed due to the overseeing agency ACOE.
    "The town has had a standing agreement since 2009 with the Corps of Engineers to do minimal cleanup once a year.
    No bulldozers or bladed equipment is allowed in the waterway."
    Yet, they talk of a group of people going in with chainsaws.
    Maybe, they have been chainsawing without ear protection for too long.

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Well if they are considering going in with chainsaws our town can lend them our hovercraft. I was told to my face "no hearsay" that our town hovercraft was going to be used for creek cleanup. Use it as a platform to chainsaw up fallen trees. I could picture OSHA all over that concept.

I wonder how many canoes they expect to go down the creek compared to the people using it now.

You know how they can pay for cleanup? Tourism! The economic impact from canoe tourism will give EA millions in economic impact.

We can lure this national competition to EA.

National Competition

The ASCE National Concrete Canoe Competition (NCCC) provides students with a practical application of the engineering principles they learn in the classroom, along with important team and project management skills they will need in their careers. The event challenges the students' knowledge, creativity and stamina, while showcasing the versatility and durability of concrete as a building material.

Each year, the NCCC, which is held in mid-June, is hosted by an ASCE Student Organization. Teams qualify for the NCCC by placing first in one of the 18 conference competitions held throughout the United States during the spring. Teams placing second in a conference competition behind a university that finished in the top five at the previous year's national competition are also invited. To be eligible to compete the entrant school must be a recognized ASCE Student Chapter or ASCE International Student Group.

Thread Information