Thread: Anyone ever think of bringing back the INTER-URBAN?

moadib

Anyone ever think of bringing back the INTER-URBAN?

Anyone ever think of bringing back the INTER-URBAN?

The INTER-URBAN once connected Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Batavia, Rochester and Syracuse.

Boy, it would cool if we could bring people from Syracuse to a Bills game.

You talking about a train?

Jet Blue is great to get from NYC to upstate & back, but there is no efficient intra-upstate transportation except for the Thruway.

A high-speed rail line, (privately owned), between Buffalo and Albany would be fantastic.
    This website makes money off of a depraved and idiotic conspiracy theory.

Originally posted by wny4clark
    You talking about a train?

Jet Blue is great to get from NYC to upstate & back, but there is no efficient intra-upstate transportation except for the Thruway.

A high-speed rail line, (privately owned), between Buffalo and Albany would be fantastic.
    Wasn't there supposed to be some kind of test of a high-speed train along the right-of-way of the Thruway somewhere in upstate back in the late 1980s or early 1990s? When I lived in Albany, I remember hearing about this, but I don't think anything ever came of it.

moadib

Yes, there there were plans for High Speed Rail between Buffalo & Albany

Yes, there there were plans for High Speed Rail between Buffalo & Albany

However, the economy in Albany is improving because:

They did upgrade the passenger rail tracks between NYC and Albany to High Speed Rail above 100 mph. Its not Acela speeds but it has shortened the commute from NYC to similar times as Long Island.

So companies that would have gone to Long Island, Connecticut, New Jersey or Pennsylvania have decided to move upstate.

In fact the Port of New York/New Jersey is now using the Port of Albany as an Auxiliary port because they are so congested and have limited ability to expand.

EXTENDING HIGH SPEED RAIL BETWEEN BUFFALO AND ALBANY WOULD RELINK THE REST OF THE UPSTATE ECONOMIES TO THE DOWNSTATE ECONOMIES WHICH IS A HECK OF ALOT BETTER THAN SPENDING ALL OUR NYSTATE TAX DOLLARS CREATING DOWN-STATE JOBS FOR A COMPANY THAT DECIDES TO MOVE A FEW MILES OVER THE STATE BORDER FOR LOWER TAXES.

ITS TIME NY STATE INVESTED IN THEIR UPSTATE COMMUNITIES.

I heard once that the inter-urbans were so extensive that you could've travelled as far west as Chicago on what were basically local mass transit systems. Lots o' transfers though.

I don't think it'll work, though. I just read that Amtrak passenger service is down 30% the past three years due to the availablity of cheap flights, such as JetBlue.

It's not a bad thing; just evolution. Like the railroads eclipsing the Erie Canal.

moadib

AT SOME POINT BUFFALO NEEDS TO BE CONNECTED TO THE REST OF THE REGION

At some point Buffalo needs to be connected to the rest of the regions in the area other than air and auto

1) Erie and Niagara County Region
    2) 8 County WNY Region
    3) Upstate New York Region
    4) Great Lakes Region

It just seems that the NFTA simply isnt aggressively minding the business of transportation.

There are alot of areas that need service from all regions and they are not being served and Buffalonians are the poorer for it.

Re: AT SOME POINT BUFFALO NEEDS TO BE CONNECTED TO THE REST OF THE REGION

Originally posted by moadib
    At some point Buffalo needs to be connected to the rest of the regions in the area other than air and auto
    Why. They seem to be doing just fine.

The only people "poorer for it" are all the taxpayers who have to subsidize Amtrak.

moadib

SUBSIDIZE AMTRACK? WHATS YOUR REAL COMPLAINT?

America subsidizes airports
    America subsidizes the construction, expansion and maintenance of roads
    America subsidizes the maintenance of ports

WHY IS METRO TRANSPORTATION AND RAIL SUPPOSED TO BE SELF FINANCING?

Besides its financed at the federal level, not at the state, county or municipal level. You know at the federal level, their just going to give that money to Israel in foreign aid or some other waste!

Re: SUBSIDIZE AMTRACK? WHATS YOUR REAL COMPLAINT?

America subsidizes airports
    America subsidizes the construction, expansion and maintenance of roads
    America subsidizes the maintenance of ports

WHY IS METRO TRANSPORTATION AND RAIL SUPPOSED TO BE SELF FINANCING?

Besides its financed at the federal level, not at the state, county or municipal level. You know at the federal level, their just going to give that money to Israel in foreign aid or some other waste!
    No pally. The feds don't finance it. Nor the states, counties, towns, cities or villages.

I do.

And I don't want to any more.

That's what the past four months have been about here locally. Thousands of "Is" are fed up. See those red states last November. Millions of "I's".

Don't bother responding, capitals or not. The parents are taking back the dough. The subsidy/spending junkies can eat each other.

moonshine
    Biker-

Moadib has an irrational love of rail transportation. I think it feeds into his/her hatred of Jews and the fact they arrived via rail to their ultimate destination during WWII. Take a good look at some of his/her past posts if you don't believe me.

Re: Anyone ever think of bringing back the INTER-URBAN?

Boy, it would cool if we could bring people from Syracuse to a Bills game.
    Why would that be cool. Nearly every game sells out anyway.

moadib

I never put rail & jews together until you mentioned it

I never put rail & jews together until you mentioned it

because I have always had very specific reasons for supporting business and transportation causes for local economic development.

because I object to american soldiers dying and disabled because their are being forced to fight a proxy war for a foreign power due to a traitorous domestic lobby.

Now if you choose to undermine me by attempting to libel my character by assuming that my opinions are based on prejudice instead of experience and/or facts....then that is your problem and I will certainly rebut you as trying to silence free speach by using political correctness to silence that which you disagree.

moadib

just another example of victimization (Holocaust) for empowerment

just another example of victimization (Holocaust) for empowerment.

How many times are people going to use Anti-Semitism and the Holocaust to shield Israel and Jews from open discussion?

Well, let me make this prediction. If there is another holocaust, it will be from the abuses created by the jewish community.

The jewish lobby and the jewish community and their actions / motives, etc cannot be above approach....while everything else is free to discuss.

Silencing people because you dont agree with their opinions will eventually create a backlash....its one reason why people think jews and feminists are nothing more than nazi fascists using victimization to justify their cloaked assault to further their power and agenda.

Enough said.

Re: I never put rail & jews together until you mentioned it

Now if you choose to undermine me by attempting to libel my character by assuming that my opinions are based on prejudice instead of experience and/or facts...
    I have no doubt that your opinion is based on experience.
    Sometime in the past, you obviously had an experience with a Jew (maybe more than 1) that has haunted you to this day. Maybe a Jewish guy at work got a promotion over you. Or maybe you owned a business that closed due to a Jewish competitor.

You sure do carry a grudge.

Back more on topic....

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/today/sky.htm#jb

New York-Boston flights for just $100 on JetBlue? JetBlue CEO David Neeleman is again talking about a New York-Boston route that would compete against Amtrak and both the Delta and US Airways shuttles. Appearing at a tourism conference in Brazil on Tuesday, The Boston Globe says Neeleman reiterated his plans to start JetBlue flights between New York JFK (the airline's top hub) and Boston, which was recently a "focus city" by the airline. But since JetBlue wouldn't start the service until it takes delivery of its new 100-seat Embraer 190 regional jets, the service appears to be at least a year away. "We have a good presence in Boston and New York," Neeleman is quoted as saying by Bloomberg News/The Atlanta Journal Constitution(free registration). "We're probably going to be there with the Embraer 190. It's a route we think we're going to do with a charge of about $100 round-trip." That fare would be up 50% less than the current rates charged by Delta, US Airways and Amtrak for their New York-Boston service. But JetBlue spokesman Gareth Edmondson-Jones tells Newsday of Long Island that the $100 fare is just "a discussion point," noting that such a fare would be comparable to the airline's lowest fares between JFK and its other New England destination of Burlington, Vt.

Thread Information