Thread: Donn Esmonde: DiPietro glad he’s out of politics

Donn Esmonde: DiPietro glad he’s out of politics

by Donn Esmonde

Dave DiPietro feels he is better off without politics. I can hardly blame him.

DiPietro, dark-haired and plain-spoken, made the mistake of taking on Albany institution Dale Volker in the recent Republican primary for State Senate.

The former East Aurora mayor knew it would be an uphill run. Forcing fellow Republican Volker to spend time and money on a primary in a year when Republicans cling to a one-seat majority in the State Senate angered Republican Party bosses all the way to Albany.

Still, DiPietro did not expect the threats and abuse he said he and his supporters got from Volker’s people.

“I got the crap kicked out of me,” said DiPietro, 48.

DiPietro lost the September primary to Volker, 68, who now faces Democrat Kathy Konst. But DiPietro wants people to know how slimy politics can get. He hoped that the law would come down on the people behind the threats.

According to DiPietro:

• Republican Party boss Jim Domagalski warned DiPietro that Volker’s people would “come after him.”

“I told [Domagalski] I’m a big boy, I can take it,” said DiPietro. “I had no idea how nasty it would get.”

• Dave Gunner, a political novice running for Aurora highway superintendent, said Republicans pulled their endorsement of him after he ignored warnings about supporting DiPietro.

“Harry Wahl [Volker’s chief of staff] told me, ‘You don’t mess with Dale Volker, and you don’t mess with the state [Republican] Party,” Gunner confirmed. “He told my wife, ‘If you want to help Di- Pietro, get him some moving boxes, because he will lose his house, his business and his marriage.’ ”

More

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ostrowski View Post

by Donn Esmonde

Dave DiPietro feels he is better off without politics. I can hardly blame him.

DiPietro, dark-haired and plain-spoken, made the mistake of taking on Albany institution Dale Volker in the recent Republican primary for State Senate.

The former East Aurora mayor knew it would be an uphill run. Forcing fellow Republican Volker to spend time and money on a primary in a year when Republicans cling to a one-seat majority in the State Senate angered Republican Party bosses all the way to Albany.

Still, DiPietro did not expect the threats and abuse he said he and his supporters got from Volker’s people.

“I got the crap kicked out of me,” said DiPietro, 48.

DiPietro lost the September primary to Volker, 68, who now faces Democrat Kathy Konst. But DiPietro wants people to know how slimy politics can get. He hoped that the law would come down on the people behind the threats.

According to DiPietro:

• Republican Party boss Jim Domagalski warned DiPietro that Volker’s people would “come after him.”

“I told [Domagalski] I’m a big boy, I can take it,” said DiPietro. “I had no idea how nasty it would get.”

• Dave Gunner, a political novice running for Aurora highway superintendent, said Republicans pulled their endorsement of him after he ignored warnings about supporting DiPietro.

“Harry Wahl [Volker’s chief of staff] told me, ‘You don’t mess with Dale Volker, and you don’t mess with the state [Republican] Party,” Gunner confirmed. “He told my wife, ‘If you want to help Di- Pietro, get him some moving boxes, because he will lose his house, his business and his marriage.’ ”

More
    It is a shame that some factions in both parties use mafia goon tactics to harrass and intimidate to maintain control. These were tactics used against organizers. Too bad the voters can't use RICO..

who is the A hole Goon that said you dent mess with NY State and you dont mess with Volker?

Thread Information