Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Second ward council seat

Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post
    I thank you for believing in me. I do possess the same ideals that you do regarding your civic duty/solitary concern has always been to "make the district better"......I too started out sweeping up our playground and begging for new equipment ........

I apologize to you jenrose if you think I mocked you or tried to "bash you" in any way......NOT at all by any means!
    My point was that the party is in control of City Hall and they want their candidate in.....so.....hence, attention'! They know YOU influence votes and want to keep you going with THEIR flow! It is all about PARTY politics.......not you.

Talk to me next year, and the next, and the next........Sadly, I have heard it time and time again from folks that they used election year.
    Of course the dog-catcher and police should have addressed that dog thing immediately......WHAT happens to the poor citizens needs/issues that are not connected? So many tried to get their issues addressed over the years that fell on deaf ears after the elections that they just gave up trying to make their streets safer, nicer, etc.. Many just moved and the core of stake-holders (home owners) are no more.
    I am not trying to change your views....this is a political forum to discuss issues.

You have keen insight.......but just beware of being bamboozled. It hurts!
    Maybe if there were about 5000 of us we could take the City over for the good of ALL.......NOT the some!
    Sorry, I should have been more specific, the mocking comments weren't directed at you...just in general, I was trying to point out that I actually had a positive experience and it seems impossible for most to just take that for what it is...and of course I find it frustrating that nothing was done with the numerous calls that I made on my own. I'm just as frustrated that the only improvement made to the Center St. playground was taking out one of the rotted wood boards and nothing else...sometimes change happens painfully slow...doesn't mean it won't happen though.

With that...since it's an election year and it's assumed that all candidates and some others may be listening and reading I have a whole list of easy things that can make the city nicer/run better.

1. Let the citizens take over the playgrounds. I'm not sure of the logistics of how it would work, but put someone in city hall in charge of getting a group of volunteers from every neighborhood. The city gives each playground a reasonable sum of money and the citizens do the work. There are many programs that give grant money, such as Kaboom...but the city has to be willing to let the citizens take over. We have the most stake in the area and if we are the ones keeping it nice it's a win/win situation. While some playgrounds need a complete overhaul, there are others that can be spruced up and made safe with some paint and a little bit of mulch.

2. Beautify city owned spaces. Knock down the houses that have been condemned for years and keep lots mowed. Around Ridge there has been a little bit done. It's not hard to do it around the rest of the city. Nothing fancy, just keep it clean. This will encourage homeowners to keep their property nice.

3. This brings me to my last point. In West Seneca they give their citizens free mulch/woodchips. You can bring your truck once a day and they fill it up for you to use with your landscaping. Lackawanna chips trees. I'd like to know what they do with the woodchips. Maybe they can give them away. Mulch is expensive and you need a lot of it to do any type of meaningful landscaping or flower beds.

There, I got us started. Who else wants to post their ideas?

Post He Who Laughs Last.....Lasts!

Quote Originally Posted by jenrose66 View Post
    Sorry, I should have been more specific, the mocking comments weren't directed at you...just in general, I was trying to point out that I actually had a positive experience and it seems impossible for most to just take that for what it is...and of course I find it frustrating that nothing was done with the numerous calls that I made on my own. I'm just as frustrated that the only improvement made to the Center St. playground was taking out one of the rotted wood boards and nothing else...sometimes change happens painfully slow...doesn't mean it won't happen though.

With that...since it's an election year and it's assumed that all candidates and some others may be listening and reading I have a whole list of easy things that can make the city nicer/run better.

1. Let the citizens take over the playgrounds. I'm not sure of the logistics of how it would work, but put someone in city hall in charge of getting a group of volunteers from every neighborhood. The city gives each playground a reasonable sum of money and the citizens do the work. There are many programs that give grant money, such as Kaboom...but the city has to be willing to let the citizens take over. We have the most stake in the area and if we are the ones keeping it nice it's a win/win situation. While some playgrounds need a complete overhaul, there are others that can be spruced up and made safe with some paint and a little bit of mulch.

2. Beautify city owned spaces. Knock down the houses that have been condemned for years and keep lots mowed. Around Ridge there has been a little bit done. It's not hard to do it around the rest of the city. Nothing fancy, just keep it clean. This will encourage homeowners to keep their property nice.

3. This brings me to my last point. In West Seneca they give their citizens free mulch/woodchips. You can bring your truck once a day and they fill it up for you to use with your landscaping. Lackawanna chips trees. I'd like to know what they do with the woodchips. Maybe they can give them away. Mulch is expensive and you need a lot of it to do any type of meaningful landscaping or flower beds.

There, I got us started. Who else wants to post their ideas?
    jenrose.....jenrose.....jenrose......

Good for you Jenrose.....I hope you inspire others to help out the people of the city!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by jenrose66 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken...didn't Norm get to run on the Republican line when he ran for mayor? Obviously, I've never been shy in my support for Annette so I'm happy for any line she's given. I'm just saying, it seems to happen in this area where a Democrat gets a Conservative or Republican line (western NY in general)...really a true Republican around here is a rare find.

Also, I spoke to Annette the other day about the issue I had with the unleashed pitbull in my neighborhood. In less than an hour animal control and code enforcement were in my neighborhood following up. Now, I had put in 3 calls in 2 days to city hall and couldn't get a call back, but with her help, my issue is addressed! We want a council representative that can get things done. Think about the bigger issues we've had in the 2nd ward for years, playgrounds, flood insurance etc...I think she has the connections and good working relationship with the city to make some tangible change, finally!
    Your wrong on Norm he wasn't given the line at all. Jim Sieracki was. Then he drops out. Then he ends up as Youth director for Norm. FYI really true republicans around here are not hard to find. They just don't play ball with status quo and therefore get zero support from the city and are subjected to lies and rumors. Furthermore a lot of republicans were pretty mad Annette didn't get the line when she wanted to run against Norm. So what does she do? She takes the well if I can't beat them I'll join them plan. I'm sorry but she is more of the same with a lot more baggage now.(soon to be ex school board president)Another point is that both of the true democrats are compromised they both have their own party,people and agendas to answer to. There is only one candidate that answers to no one but obviously parties other than the Democrats and Conservative are overlooked in this city. That's is why we have all the problems we have. No checks and balances just a history of the same people running the show. If you really want to change anything vote out the Democrats and Conservatives and try something different, otherwise all you will have are bunch of empty promises and broken dreams. BTW Jenrose you do have some good ideas.

Post He Who Laughs Last.....Lasts!

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder View Post
    Your wrong on Norm he wasn't given the line at all. Jim Sieracki was. Then he drops out. Then he ends up as Youth director for Norm. FYI really true republicans around here are not hard to find. They just don't play ball with status quo and therefore get zero support from the city and are subjected to lies and rumors. Furthermore a lot of republicans were pretty mad Annette didn't get the line when she wanted to run against Norm. So what does she do? She takes the well if I can't beat them I'll join them plan. I'm sorry but she is more of the same with a lot more baggage now.(soon to be ex school board president)Another point is that both of the true democrats are compromised they both have their own party,people and agendas to answer to. There is only one candidate that answers to no one but obviously parties other than the Democrats and Conservative are overlooked in this city. That's is why we have all the problems we have. No checks and balances just a history of the same people running the show. If you really want to change anything vote out the Democrats and Conservatives and try something different, otherwise all you will have are bunch of empty promises and broken dreams. BTW Jenrose you do have some good ideas.
    " Annette didn't get the line when she wanted to run against Norm. So what does she do? She takes the well if I can't beat them I'll join them plan. I'm sorry but she is more of the same with a lot more baggage now.(soon to be ex school board president) "

Do you mean School Board Clerk?
    Or do you mean when she jumped ship and compromised her integrity by kissing up to the current " school board president "?
    BTW........
    Does she still have the VOTES to be re-appointed again......oh yes, the minions......

Minion
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A minion is a follower devoted to serve his/her master relentlessly. (Good one LAsurvivor)!
    ************************************************** **********************************

Nice way to put it bluethunder.........I have witnessed the " I only do what the Board tells me to do " attitude many times since her appointment........the first three years she was herself, but these last two......

I only speak from facts.

I just finished reading Ms. Iafallo’s article in the July 18, 2012 Front Page. This is the best she could come up with? She states the morale in the city is at an all time low and that she has the answers to solve this problem. Really? Before we get to this lets first talk about the qualifications she sited in the article.

Does she really want to use six years on the School Board on her resume? Creating a budget is simple but getting results with that budget is difficult. What are the results of Ms. Iafallo’s tenure as a Board member? Here are the facts. The Lackawanna School District ranks near the bottom in Western New York for more years than I can remember. The only thing that keeps us from being at the bottom is the Buffalo School District which is arguable the most dysfunctional district in the state. She therefore must be proud that our tax dollars within the school district go to hiring more relatives and friends.
    Maybe she wants us to look at her time as Board Clerk. She gets paid every month but she has yet to post all the board minutes from the last school year.

She complains about the shift in the tax rates from the business to private sector. Certainly this is going to hurt the home owners in the city. The problem is that we need to create an environment where we can attract businesses to our community. The fact is we need jobs. Without a vibrant public sector this city is doomed. They pay the bills. She doesn’t state how she would have done it differently. Maybe she would have cut services or reduced staffing? This city needs a paradigm shift. We seem to have a council that understands that businesses create jobs and tax revenue which allows the city to prosper. Being stuck in the old politics will give us the same results, decaying city wards and loss of population. Maybe the increased taxes paid by then citizens will result in the masses asking, “what are we paying for and what is the cost?”.

Ms. Iafallo is correct is stating that we deserve better. We don’t need tired obsolete ideas. We don’t need more of the old politics. We need new people that have some original thoughts and there lies the problem. This city needs an enema and the old ideas need to be flushed and people with new ideas need to be elected. Maybe the morale problem is that the old politicians never solve anything they still think we have the steel plant to pay the bills. Being the School Board Clerk and Second Ward Coucilman would be a huge conflict of interest.

What a joke! Correct me if I am wrong doesn't her biggest backer Szymanski agree with the property tax shift????? More spin and lies by the Peid Piper! You can see he will blame the council for the shift even though he wanted it also. Morale in the city is at an all time low? Really? What the old school folks aren't getting their way anymore?? GOOD! Sorry Annette but your not the solution your part of the problem!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder View Post
    What a joke! Correct me if I am wrong doesn't her biggest backer Szymanski agree with the property tax shift????? More spin and lies by the Peid Piper! You can see he will blame the council for the shift even though he wanted it also. Morale in the city is at an all time low? Really? What the old school folks aren't getting their way anymore?? GOOD! Sorry Annette but your not the solution your part of the problem!
    " morale " has been low for years and years due to all the poli-tricking going on! Sadly....it is just a job for some, not a career.

What pressure to work under.....first the Little Caesars who puff around, and then the blatant unfairness is rampant!
    Of course this causes low morale! DUH!

I like your " Pied Piper " analogy blue. Yes....fool me once--fool me twice, and the third fool is??!!

Quote Originally Posted by youcangohome View Post
    Maybe Dion Watkins can change his address again and move into the 2nd ward.
    Now, I don't care who you are but that was some funny shiznit!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert H. Reed View Post
    Now, I don't care who you are but that was some funny shiznit!
    Yeah just like the guy who ran for 1st Ward council in 2009....

Is this guy related to the Iafallo running for office?

CITIZENS WISHING TO PLACE AN ITEM ON THE CITY COUNCIL'S AGENDA SHALL SUBMIT THEIR CONCERNS/COMPLAINTS IN LETTER FORM, SIGNED AND FORWARDED TO THE CITY CLERK'S OFFICE VIA CERTIFIED LETTER OR IN PERON BEFORE 12:00 NOON THE WEDNESDAY PRIOR TO THE COUNCIL MEETING. AFTER REVIEW BY THE CITY COUNCIL, AND DEEMED APPROPRIATE, IT WILL BE ENTERED INTO THE COUNCIL AGENDA.
    AGENDA

Reorganizational/Council Meeting
    Council Chambers

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Meeting called to order/Pledge of Allegiance
    NB: Meeting being recorded.
    Roll Call: Council: Noman, ________, Kulczyk, Lewis, Pirowski
    Hearings from Citizens:

Communications from the Mayor:

1. Mayor Szymanski - advises Council of his resignation in position of 2 nd Ward Council Member.

Mayor Szymanski issues the following executive orders:

2. Executive Order #1 – Appointment of Norman A. LeBlanc as City Attorney.

3. Executive Order #2 – Appointment of Thomas N. Love as Public Works Commissioner.

4. Executive Order #3 – Appointment of Dana Britton as Public Safety Director.

5. Executive Order #4 – Appointment of Angelo Iafallo as Parks & Recreation Director.

6. Executive Order #5 – Appointment of Ralph Miranda as Director of Development.

7. Executive Order #6 – Appointment of Maureen Gambino as Confidential Secretary to the Mayor

Communication from the Council:

8. Council President Pirowski – requests voting order be as follows: 1 st ward, 2 nd ward, 3 rd ward, 4 th ward, Council President.

9. Council President Pirowski – submits the following resolutions for Council approval:

Resolution # ___, 2012 – Appointment of 2 nd Ward Council Member

Resolution # , 2012 – Appointment of City Clerk

Resolution # , 2012 – Appointment of Council Member Noman as Council President Pro-Tempore.

Resolution # 2012 – Designation of City Council Meeting dates for the year 2012.

Resolution # , 2012 – Appointment of Council Clerk/Deputy Clerk

Resolution # , 2012 – Designation of Front Page Newspaper as official newspaper of the city.

Communications from Department/Division Heads:

10. City Attorney – seeks Council approval of settlement of $3,000 to Michael Abert for a law suit involving a fall due from the result of walking on Ridge Road when city snow plow covered sidewalk.

************************************************** ************************************************** *******************************

The Eagle has landed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information