Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Americorps off the hook?

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofCharles View Post
    Enough is enough.
    Well Charles. What happened?

I believe this was all covered previously. The Town basically acts as a pass through for the Americorps Grants which means that the Town fronts the money for the expenses and is reimbursed when the grant funds are released which nets to 0 expense for the Town. At least in theory because there is the loss of use of those funds between outlay and reimbursement.

However, I do believe these should be reflected on the expense and revenue sides of the budget and not just left out, just like the County reflects such transactions in its budget.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    I believe this was all covered previously. The Town basically acts as a pass through for the Americorps Grants which means that the Town fronts the money for the expenses and is reimbursed when the grant funds are released which nets to 0 expense for the Town. At least in theory because there is the loss of use of those funds between outlay and reimbursement.

However, I do believe these should be reflected on the expense and revenue sides of the budget and not just left out, just like the County reflects such transactions in its budget.
    And that, my friends, is basic accounting. And, accountability. Had this been in practice, the funds deficiet would have been identified way before it got too late. Now, it seems it is way too late. All hail the Queen. Some of you know who I mean.

You mean that nothing happened? This thread is a bitchfest of those who do not like Americorp, claim the town is out two million dollars and when push comes to shove they all climbed into a hole? I get the impression nobody in this town including the comptroller, supervisor, and many posters on this forum know what they are talking about.

And if indeed there is an accounting issue, is it the fault of Americorp or the town comptroller present or past?

You can see what the TB did here: http://www.westseneca.net/bdmin08/mi080623.html at Itme #23.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    I get the impression nobody in this town including the comptroller, supervisor, and many posters on this forum know what they are talking about.
    Are you including DTWarren with this accusation ?
    A remark should only hurt within it's proportion of what is true.

You can see what the TB did here: http://www.westseneca.net/bdmin08/mi080623.html at Itme #23.
    Thanks DT. Finally someone posts a link. You would think hardly anyone knows how to cut and paste. To think some of the information was in the 06/3/008 communications. But what happened on Monday night is still a mystery.

Mary Lou Dietrich, 156 Bellwood Avenue, Director of the West Seneca Food Pantry, stated that for 20 years she did the deliveries for the food pantry, but she was unable to do it any longer and she appreciated what AmeriCorps did. Mrs. Dietrich was saddened that people felt the way they did about this issue and thought that better communication might help...Mrs. Dietrich commented on how the AmeriCorps members had grown into young, responsible adults and she hoped that everyone could work together and be open so people understood the funding and other issues.
    Deb Fazara, 1416 Ridge Road, stated that she works for Baker Victory Services and they had great success with AmeriCorps. She also spent years in Jamestown where AmeriCorps provided a lot of opportunities for people with developmental disabilities to accomplish things on their own or non-profits that don’t have the manpower to do things that are very necessary. Ms. Fazara had a nephew who was once very depressed but became a recipient of AmeriCorps, received his GED, and was becoming very prosperous in his life. She was concerned about the tension and animosity and thought there was some kind of vindictiveness against AmeriCorps and Mr. Lazzara.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Ebenezer View Post
    Are you including DTWarren with this accusation ?
    How about you SOE, do you know what happened on Monday night?

Monday nights meeting

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    How about you SOE, do you know what happened on Monday night?
    I wasn't at the meeting, but I did call Meegan today and she asked Bielicki what Americorp owes the town and he replied that it is 3.1 million dollars. She asked if they are responsible for paying the Town back and he said YES. So, Manny, call up your good friend Mark and tell him to get busy fundraising because he in debt up to his eyeballs. And I for one will keep after him until all that money is returned to the town. Because it is my money and your money and your neighbors money and anyone else inthis town who pays taxes!

Quote Originally Posted by snowwhite View Post
    I wasn't at the meeting, but I did call Meegan today and she asked Bielicki what Americorp owes the town and he replied that it is 3.1 million dollars. She asked if they are responsible for paying the Town back and he said YES. So, Manny, call up your good friend Mark and tell him to get busy fundraising because he in debt up to his eyeballs. And I for one will keep after him until all that money is returned to the town. Because it is my money and your money and your neighbors money and anyone else inthis town who pays taxes!
    Interesting information. Obviously if there is a "pass through" there is a potential problem of budgeting. This does not mean there is malfesance, it means there needs to be meticulous accounting. I would get onto Bielcki to get onto the stick to figure out potential income from grants through 2011 and monies owed the town and get together with Americorp chapter to figure a budget for them through that time. Either that, or/and go to the federal government and get money owed, or make sure it is forthcoming. You beat the drum of someone stealing YOUR tax dollars. Far from it. Better to learn how to work the system than to can the system and wallow in ignorance.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Whta was the money actually spent on?

It didn't seem like there were a lot of employees. Or was everyone on a salary?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Whta was the money actually spent on?

It didn't seem like there were a lot of employees. Or was everyone on a salary?
    There are about 15 employees now. Their salaries come out of the grants, but not MLs. But ML is known to like to travel and stay at only the best places. He enjoys eating at only the best restaurants. He also likes to throw parties for his friends. I have heard that he nevers look at the budget, he buys what he wants when he wants it. If you notice, the Americorp always has new jackets, t-shirts, etc. That all costs alot of money. From what I have heard and know, there has not been many fundraisers that actually made any money. In fact, they lost money. And to Manuel- if the Corporation was to know how much money ML has overspent, they would close his unit down. It is not their problem to bail him out, its his problem to find the money to repay the town.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    There are about 15 employees now. Their salaries come out of the grants, but not MLs. But ML is known to like to travel and stay at only the best places. He enjoys eating at only the best restaurants. He also likes to throw parties for his friends. I have heard that he nevers look at the budget, he buys what he wants when he wants it. If you notice, the Americorp always has new jackets, t-shirts, etc. That all costs alot of money. From what I have heard and know, there has not been many fundraisers that actually made any money. In fact, they lost money. And to Manuel- if the Corporation was to know how much money ML has overspent, they would close his unit down. It is not their problem to bail him out, its his problem to find the money to repay the town.

So the salaries were paid for by grants? WHAT was the 2 or what ever million used for then?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    So the salaries were paid for by grants? WHAT was the 2 or what ever million used for then?
    That's the issue - fuzzy math and lack of accountability. How unfortunate. AmeriCorps is a tremendous nationwide organization. It is the individual chapters that people judge them by. There's another chapter in Buffalo proper and they do great work with transparency.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    They have to keep receipts...

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information