Thread: Boston Town Board Downsizing

Boston Town Board Downsizing

Wondering what peoples thoughts are on downsizing Bostons town board from 5 members to 3. This has been done successfully in the towns of Evans (Pop.17,594), West Seneca (pop. 44,711),Orchard Park (pop. 29,054),Alden (pop.10,470). All of these towns have a MUCH larger population than Boston (7,897). If these large towns feel by a majority that they can do just fine with 3 board members, why cant our small town? There could be a refurendum vote and then at the next town board election there would only be one open position to fill.

You may want to see what the members of this board that live in those other towns that did go through a downsizing think on this topic before you jump on the bandwagon.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by slitter View Post
    Wondering what peoples thoughts are on downsizing Bostons town board from 5 members to 3. This has been done successfully in the towns of Evans (Pop.17,594), West Seneca (pop. 44,711),Orchard Park (pop. 29,054),Alden (pop.10,470). All of these towns have a MUCH larger population than Boston (7,897). If these large towns feel by a majority that they can do just fine with 3 board members, why cant our small town? There could be a refurendum vote and then at the next town board election there would only be one open position to fill.
    And then that would leave the Democratic Party back in power. You are such a political operative slitter.
    Your thinking is flawed because we are a second class town. Maybe you should do some research before posting such useless nonsense.

Stop listening to Jim, Rich, and Gary. You will thank me for that.

You could have just sent me a PM and I could have given you the link before you made an ass out of yourself.

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/LAWSSEAF.cgi?QUERYTYPE=LAWS+&QUERYDATA=$$TWN87$$@TXTWN087+&LIST=LAW+&BROWSER=EXPLORER+&TOKEN=22999939+&TARGET=VIEW

Your Welcome.
    Last edited by sneakers77; January 5th, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
    I never said I had no idea about most of the things you said I said I had no idea about.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    5 people. 3 not enough. You have one simple minded person on the board and one or the other will be able to sway them. If you have at least 5 you there should be enough there to keep things in check. I wouldn't want our town board with three. That would be very bad for the non-government tax payers.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers77 View Post
    And then that would leave the Democratic Party back in power. You are such a political operative slitter.
    Your thinking is flawed because we are a second class town. Maybe you should do some research before posting such useless nonsense.

Stop listening to Jim, Rich, and Gary. You will thank me for that.

You could have just sent me a PM and I could have given you the link before you made an ass out of yourself.

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/LAWSSEAF.cgi?QUERYTYPE=LAWS+&QUERYDATA=$$TWN87$$@TXTWN087+&LIST=LAW+&BROWSER=EXPLORER+&TOKEN=22999939+&TARGET=VIEW

Your Welcome.
    Wow getting a little jumpy are we? Its called a discussion board for a reason, My topic even states just wondering what everyone thought about it. Whose on a bandwagon???????

WOW after seeing Gary Vera half asleep and in a sweater at his first town board meeting I would never risk leaving him in charge of anything. Good Luck Boston with that guy!!

Wow getting a little jumpy are we? Its called a discussion board for a reason, My topic even states just wondering what everyone thought about it. Whose on a bandwagon???????
    Nobody is jumpy..........just trying to help out a mislead soul.
    I never said I had no idea about most of the things you said I said I had no idea about.

Sucessfully really? You must be talking to Kevin Gaughan because Evans and West Seneca members are bitching up a storm about business not be able to get done efficently due to state open meetings laws. I think your version of success is more like propoganda and the real reason is having less opposition so you Eaganites can run amok and wreak havoc once again. Sorry pal but I will fight your sorry pathetic downsizing proposition or rather propoganda so we the taxpayers can have a voice in government. Better yet learn how to compromise its something that YOU should do but being an Eaganite I can understand why you can't!

Before downsizing the number of councilmen, the first thing that needs downsizing is their terms. Shortening the terms from 4 years to 2 years would make them more responsive and accountable. Good people would easily get re-elected, but mistakes could be voted out sooner before they do too much damage. Voters win either way.

One problem with two year terms is as soon as they are elected they are running for re-election, little time for addressing substantive issues.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    One problem with two year terms is as soon as they are elected they are running for re-election, little time for addressing substantive issues.
    That's too deep for some people to understand.

They should actually increase the terms of county legislators, US Congressmen, State Assembly and State Senators to 4 year terms. That will make them focus on the job they have to do rather than worrying about getting reelected right away. But like you said that's to deep for some people to understand!

Five years and you are done for good! I like that...
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Downsizer

Three should be enough in nay event in a town that small especially. There needs to be term limits regaerdless 2 or 4 year terms. Hopefully for the taxpayers of the town there is a sharing agreement with other municipalities for certain services. The critical part is can the citizen go to meetings and will their voices be heard. Amherst has 120,000 people and 5 board members but teh supervisor controls 4 votes with no dissent and there is scant input from citizens with a draconian set of rules for who speaks.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    Three should be enough in nay event in a town that small especially. There needs to be term limits regaerdless 2 or 4 year terms. Hopefully for the taxpayers of the town there is a sharing agreement with other municipalities for certain services. The critical part is can the citizen go to meetings and will their voices be heard. Amherst has 120,000 people and 5 board members but teh supervisor controls 4 votes with no dissent and there is scant input from citizens with a draconian set of rules for who speaks.
    I'm not an advocate of less representation to the people. I feel 5 is a good number.

The Town of Boston shares its assessor with the Town of Cheektowaga.

Citizens can voice their opinions at Town Board Meetings, Planning Board Meetings, and public hearings.

Input from the citizens is what this town board encourages.

Thread Information