Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Reorganization Meeting

2012 Reorganization Meeting

4. Moved by ________, seconded by __________ that Linda Kauderer be terminated as Deputy Town Comptroller effective January 1, 2012 and be re-instated to her prior position of Account Clerk Mini Computer Operator and authorize the Supervisor to complete and sign the necessary forms for Erie County Personnel.

5. Moved by ________, seconded by __________ that the Office of the Town Comptroller be abolished pursuant to Town Law Section 20.

6. Moved by ________, seconded by __________ that Freed Maxick and Battaglia, P.C. be hired as the provider of Accounting and Financial Consulting Services to the Town at a cost not to exceed $8,000.00 per month.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Yes, that was a surprising list of items on the agenda yesterday. And they were passed. However, some of the people who work in the department were unclear on where they were to report for work today.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

Few questions, how did the Town Board choose this firm? Was there a bidding process? How does this save money? Looks like a 100,000 expense. Another item on the agenda was the hiring of a secretary to the supervisor who doesn't live in West Seneca. Isn't there a residency clause?

Quote Originally Posted by rumor4wny View Post
    Few questions, how did the Town Board choose this firm? Was there a bidding process? How does this save money? Looks like a 100,000 expense. Another item on the agenda was the hiring of a secretary to the supervisor who doesn't live in West Seneca. Isn't there a residency clause?
    Don't know how the firm was chosen, and may save money depending on the overall restructuring. Besides salaries, you have to factor in benefits to the cost, which could account for savings. When you factor in the pay of the Comptroller and Asst. Comp. plus benefits, it appears to be a lower cost to the Town.

The secretary is in the process of purchasing a home in WS, and may have closed this week. He will not be in the position until mid month, according to the WS Bee.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

15. Moved by ________, seconded by __________, that Maureen Murphy , be appointed as Clerk to the Town Justices at an annual salary of $43,195 effective January 1, 2012 and authorize the Supervisor to complete and sign the necessary forms for Erie County Personnel.
    Really?

It seems to me that they took a $25,000 per year employee and made it a $96,000 subcontractor. The comptroller position has always been filled with an extremely qualified CPA. The CPA, as town comptroller, has always been an employee of the town. They have abolished the comptroller position and replaced that position with an independent contractor. The main difference between an employee and independent contractor is control. The outsourcing of the position takes the control away from the town and its people, and gives it to an accounting firm who is simply working on one of their many clients. There is no person to be held accountable for the actions of the position, only a firm. The firm chosen has over 250 people on staff. Theoretically, they can send a $10 per hour bookkeeper who has no experience in governmental accounting to perform the functions of the comptroller, all for $8,000 per month rather than the $2,500 they were paying to the comptroller. They demoted the deputy comptroller to her previous duties, where she made $84,615 per year (in 2008) while, as deputy, she made $78,590 (in 2010). There seems to be absolutely no savings to the taxpayer, while compromising the control the town has over its finances.

Extremely qualified CPAs, you are joking right. My lawsuit and the State Audit that was admitted into evidence established that Bielecki and Koller failed to perform their statutory duties. Those duties will now devolve to the Supervisor, Town Clerk and Town Board. The only reason Kauderer made $84,615 in 2008 was due to overtime, whether or not that overtime was actually needed remains unknown at this point.
    Last edited by dtwarren; January 11th, 2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Left out the Clerk
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Also in 2011 we budgeted $20,000 for independent auditing that I believed was performed by Drescher & Malecki, LLP

Both have many years experience as partners in their accounting firm. I guess being a partner at Freed Maxick Battaglia makes you more qualified. At least you have Bieliecki and Koller to point your finger at as the responsible party.

I would hope that Freed Maxick will not be performing an independent audit on themselves!?! Talk about not having control.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Both have many years experience as partners in their accounting firm. I guess being a partner at Freed Maxick Battaglia makes you more qualified. At least you have Bieliecki and Koller to point your finger at as the responsible party.

I would hope that Freed Maxick will not be performing an independent audit on themselves!?! Talk about not having control.
    I do not know what being a partner at Freed, Maxick, Battaglia makes anyone, but I do know what we received from the other two "partners" and that is set forth in State Comptroller's report.

You won't have to worry about another State Comptroller Audit. Freed Maxick Battaglia is only an "accounting and financial consultant" with absolutely no responsibility (again, at 4x the cost of a comptroller). They are not hired to be the comptroller, just a consultant. If anything goes wrong, everybody can blame someone else. How convenient.

As I said before the duties of the Comptroller's Office will now revert back to being split among the Town Clerk, Town Board and Supervisor. Freed Maxick will not be the comptroller nor will it exercise any duties under the Town Law. You do realize that the office of the comptroller is optional, correct? Do you also understand that the town is still subject to audit by the State Comptroller, correct?

If this new administration is wise they will ask the State Comptroller for a complete forensic audit of the town finances over the past several administrations and request that the State Comptroller assist them in putting into place the proper internal controls this new structure will require. Seeing that Mr. Hart previously worked at The State Comptroller's office perhaps he can facilitate in this.

It does not matter whether or not the position is optional. There was a comptroller earning $25000 per year. Now we have an accounting and financial consultant, made up of at least 2 employees of Freed Maxick Battaglia, billing the taxpayers for 2 (or more) people, up to $8000 per month (plus expenses I assume). The consultants, along with the town clerk, town board, the supervisor, and, in your opinion, NYS comptrollers office, are needed to perform these same duties. I do not see how this decision makes any sense, or benefits the town in any way. In fact, I wonder who this decision does benefit...???

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    It does not matter whether or not the position is optional. There was a comptroller earning $25000 per year. Now we have an accounting and financial consultant, made up of at least 2 employees of Freed Maxick Battaglia, billing the taxpayers for 2 (or more) people, up to $8000 per month (plus expenses I assume). The consultants, along with the town clerk, town board, the supervisor, and, in your opinion, NYS comptrollers office, are needed to perform these same duties. I do not see how this decision makes any sense, or benefits the town in any way. In fact, I wonder who this decision does benefit...???
    Apparently it does not benefit you, so the question is are you one of the people who lost something because of this change or are you someone who was vying to be a part of the new structure and lost out?

I am a concerned taxpayer why is trying to make sense of this decision. Every year, my taxes keep going up. Every politician talks about lowering taxes, keeping taxes in line etc... I do not see where this decision benefits the town, or the taxpayers at all. It takes away accountability, spreads around the work, and all this for a lot more money. WHY?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information