Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lancaster Town Board, a new beginning or status quo

Lancaster Town Board, a new beginning or status quo

I came away from Monday evening’s Lancaster Town Board meeting less sure that the pledge of Town Board Council Members to work with newly elected Supervisor Dino Fudoli is sincere.

At the work session that precedes the regular meeting, Republican Supervisor Fudoli informed the four Democratic council members that as he did not have an opportunity to meet with all the individuals who were on the Organizational appointment list, perhaps half of them. For that reason he would be voting “no” on the resolution that states who is appointed to the Planning/Zoning/LIDA Boards.

Supervisor Fudoli added that he was not doing this for political reason, but that he was elected to do a job and that he could not put his name on something where he did not have all the information at hand. “I will take a few minutes during the regular meeting to speak to the public so they know this is not a shot across anyone’s bow, but that I did not have time to reach out to all the people that are being appointed. It (the resolution) will obviously pass without my vote.”

Writer addresses board

Like many others, I heard Supervisor Fudoli express his confidence that the council members would work with him for the best interests of the community. He expressed as much at his inauguration speech last Saturday when he declared that he had reached out to them and that they can affirmed their pledge to work together.

Knowing that any executive candidate that comes into office with a pledge to bring government change wishes to make appointment changes that will favor his agenda, I found it strange that there were no appointee changes – despite the fact that there were “new” petitioners submitting resumes for openings on the Planning/Zoning/LIDA Boards. There were openings because several term limits had expired and current serving board members were applying for reappointment.

For said reasons, I addressed the board.

Chowaniec: “The other day you stated at your inauguration that you asked residents for patience on matters that were procedural and affected the town otherwise. As I usually do, I picked up a copy of (and reviewed) the Organizational and Regular meeting agenda and detailed proposed resolutions. What I found was that there were no changes in appointed positions; whatsoever.”

“In the work session, you alluded to resolution #2 (appointments) and declared you would vote “no” on the resolution and gave reasons for your decision. I therefore have to ask, and please answer just yes or no whether you personally had suggested any change in the appointments? Please refrain from using names and/or appointment positions.”

Supervisor Fudoli: “I did suggest a couple.”

Chowaniec: “I ask this because during your campaign and at your inauguration you promised change. In looking at this Organizational appointment list, I find no change. I see the same names in the same positions.”

Chowaniec: Secondly, Ms. Coleman (Town Clerk), in past Organizational reports all schedule of salaries were reported – union as well as non union. This year the non union schedule of salaries was omitted. Why is this year’s report so abbreviated?

Coleman: “It was determined by the finance department, as well as the Town Attorney, that since there was no union contract in place it was unnecessary. They would then have to go back and forth if settlement occurred.

Chowaniec: “I beg to differ. It is important. Supervisor Fudoli has set an example for fiscal responsibility by taking a ten percent pay cut, forfeited the Budget Officer stipend, and gave up the town provided personal vehicle, and he will probably drop to 57th on the payroll list.

Including the schedule of salaries for union personnel allows residents to see what town employees earn as there are a lot of misconceptions out there on what people do earn in total; just as what they contribute to their health care and pension plans. Transparency and openness is number one. Mr. Fudoli, you promised that and I am looking forward to that.”

Resident Mike Fronczak addresses board

Fronczak: “John (Councilman Abraham), is there any viable reason why the Supervisor asked for a delay in resolution #2 (appointments) and it was not given?”

Abraham: “He did not ask for a delay.”

Fronczak: “I believe I heard that he did, even from him.”

Abraham: “He did not submit one to the board.”

Fronczak: “But can you give me a viable reason why we are pushing this through without there being a delay so that he (Fudoli) has an opportunity with meeting with all these people?”

Abraham: “Nobody has asked to table it, formally.”

Fronczak: “Again, I am asking why you are pushing this thing forward.”

Abraham: “The people who are reappointed tonight submitted their letters and we are going to appoint them based on the letters we received.”

Resolution

When the appointment resolution came before the board for approval, Supervisor Fudoli explained his “no” vote. His vote was predicated on the fact that he did not have time to interview all the applicants, not for political reasons.

Comments

Resident Mike Fronczak claims he heard where Supervisor Fudoli asked for an Organizational meeting delay. Many other residents declare hearing the same.

Supervisor Fudoli states he did not have an opportunity to meet and interview all appointees. For that reason he votes “no”. He does say at the work session, “This will pass without my vote.”

Councilman Abraham claims Fudoli did not submit a formal request for a delay.

On questioning Supervisor Fudoli, he admits he did make appointment suggestions for change.

Confusing, or was Supervisor Fudoli simply cut out of the process by a 4-1 board majority? So far, its status quo 1, change 0.

Sometimes you have to look for a problem to find a problem.

The way I'm reading what you wrote, I can fully understand where Dino's coming from. And, I can appreciate that he doesn't want to vote for people whom he doesn't know. (I guess he could have abstained, but that's neither here or there.) Dino went out of his way to tell everyone that it's no hard feelings - not a political thing.
    Confusing, or was Supervisor Fudoli simply cut out of the process by a 4-1 board majority? So far, its status quo 1, change 0.
    Are these appointments always done the first meeting of the year?

What difference would it have made if the appointments were delayed a month. Or, to word it differently, what good reason would there be to do so?

preparation and knowledge of the inner-workings of government are key. from what ive heard from some of fudol's former colleagues in the EC Leg, his knowledge is very limited as he took most of his marching orders directly from Collins. he was often described as a "puppet" for capitalist application to government, a failed strategy.

councilman abraham is correct and honest in his statements. if there is no formal request to table, or the supervisor wasn't prepared enough to send out a simple delay request>>>than that's his fault.

while i do believe having a business background can be to one's advantage when attempting to serve the public, i agree with this quote by Mark Poloncarz:

"Government is not a business, and it should not be run like one. A business is concerned with maximizing profits to benefit a select few — its owners or shareholders. However, a government is concerned with the welfare of those it represents, all of its citizens, not just taxpayers. We as a government represent the youngest child that may need protection from an abusive adult or the oldest adult that may not be able to turn anywhere else."

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post

The way I'm reading what you wrote, I can fully understand where Dino's coming from. And, I can appreciate that he doesn't want to vote for people whom he doesn't know. (I guess he could have abstained, but that's neither here or there.) Dino went out of his way to tell everyone that it's no hard feelings - not a political thing.

What difference would it have made if the appointments were delayed a month. Or, to word it differently, what good reason would there be to do so?
    Technically none unless there is some "law" on the books that has a cut off date for the appointment. Otherwise I think taking a week or two and making a wiser decision is better than rushing it through.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
    preparation and knowledge of the inner-workings of government are key. from what ive heard from some of fudol's former colleagues in the EC Leg, his knowledge is very limited as he took most of his marching orders directly from Collins. he was often described as a "puppet" for capitalist application to government, a failed strategy.

councilman abraham is correct and honest in his statements. if there is no formal request to table, or the supervisor wasn't prepared enough to send out a simple delay request>>>than that's his fault.

while i do believe having a business background can be to one's advantage when attempting to serve the public, i agree with this quote by Mark Poloncarz:

"Government is not a business, and it should not be run like one. A business is concerned with maximizing profits to benefit a select few — its owners or shareholders. However, a government is concerned with the welfare of those it represents, all of its citizens, not just taxpayers. We as a government represent the youngest child that may need protection from an abusive adult or the oldest adult that may not be able to turn anywhere else."
    Makes no difference. Just wait a week. Lancaster won't disappear off the map. I know there are rules but sometimes it would really make no difference.

"Government is not a business, but it should be ran as a successful business without a profit motive. A business is concerned with running efficiently to maximize output to benefit the owners. — its owners are the tax payers of the community it serves. However, a government is concerned with the welfare of those it represents, all of its citizens, including the taxpayers. We as a government represent the youngest child that may need protection from an abusive adult or the oldest adult that may not be able to turn anywhere else."

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post

Of course Dino did nothing wrong. Could the Town Board have delayed the appointment resolution? That was never answered. By rote, the appointments are made at the Organizational meeting held on the first meetng of the year. However, no one stated that there could not be such delay.

What did Dino answer when I asked whether he had made appointment suggestions? He answered "a couple."

From what several people had told me (and that includes town employees) Dino did ask to delay the process.

What was Abraham's reply to Fronczak when asked why the process could not have been delayed? It was that no formal request was submitted, or no request for tabling the matter. So the council members know Dino wanted to be part of the process, to have some input, but he did not submit a formal request with pretty please and had the door shut. Is this the cooperation and collaboration that was promised?

Why did not one board member request tabling the resolution last night? Dino declared he didn't want his vote to be taken as politicking. I took him at his word but I saw the other four members give no other sign to indicate that they were not politicking; especially when Dino declared, "you don't need my vote anyway." Indeed they didn't, and that's the point!

So does this mean McCracken was reappointed without any discussion?

Georgia L Schlager

c'mon lee and gorj. did you ever really think little dino was a real agent of change? if so---ive got some swamp land for sale on genessee st near the airport.

speaking of genessee st near the airport, did you see who dino is partnered up with for a new real estate project getting built there? its in the works and was mentioned in biz first a few months back, none other than 4248's JC.

speaking of genessee st near the airport, did you see who dino is partnered up with for a new real estate project getting built there? its in the works and was mentioned in biz first a few months back, none other than 4248's JC.[/QUOTE]

What does his family business have to do with his position as Lancaster Supervisor??

I'm actually glad someone finally brought this up.

Since becoming a full time town supervisor has he stepped away from his day-to-day functions at the "family business"? It would only be ethical , surely you can't do both.

Or is Fudoli incorporated now HQd at 21 central ave on our dime? That's a good ? For the next board meeting

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Exactly power does a supervisor have if they can't say no to hire/appointment or yes to keep someone hired who is an asset to the community?

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Yes, a resident asked about the reappointment of McCracken and Fudoli spoke on what is being worked out. That will be publihed tomorrow. Sounds like a good plan.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    c'mon lee and gorj. did you ever really think little dino was a real agent of change? if so---ive got some swamp land for sale on genessee st near the airport.

speaking of genessee st near the airport, did you see who dino is partnered up with for a new real estate project getting built there? its in the works and was mentioned in biz first a few months back, none other than 4248's JC.
    C'mon TheNewGuy. Did you ever really think that change could be made over a holiday weekend?

Who is JC?

Yes, I do believe Fudoli is sincere in bringing fiscal responsibility to the town and in doing so will control spending and stop the skyrocketing tax loads we have been experiencing.

As to JC, he and I have not seen eye-to-eye on several of his developmental projects. But at the same time I well remember occasions when the former Supervisor attended JC's development projects to tout his project, placed his arm around JC and told the meeting attendees, " JC's a great guy. He will do you no harm. He will steer you right."

So, I have to take your latest smear effort with a grain of salt while trying to stifle a yawn. Smear on, dude!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I'm actually glad someone finally brought this up.

Since becoming a full time town supervisor has he stepped away from his day-to-day functions at the "family business"? It would only be ethical , surely you can't do both.

Or is Fudoli incorporated now HQd at 21 central ave on our dime? That's a good ? For the next board meeting
    You have some nerve.

Have you ever seen what our "elected" supervisors and crew really do most of the time?

They talk most of the time, Do some paper work and network as in "socializing" in the name of our communities.. Go read the Buffalo News, The Bee's etc... A lot of elected politicians are just getting face time smoozing with people between paper work and town meetings. Ribbon cuttings, ceremonies, fund raisers, parades, chamber of commerce meetings, face time.. When you add days off, holidays, weeks of vacation, personal days and sick time You can easily run a full time business. I always wonder how they do it if they are actually working a full time job for us. And if these positions allow more than enough time to run full time businesses why do we compensate them so much?

Define "ethical". Is it ethical for you to throw half truths out?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information