Thread: " Old North........ " OUR "OLD NORTH!"

Post " Old North........ " OUR "OLD NORTH!"

The City of Lackawanna earlier obtained a court order to force Gateway Trade Center to knock the iconic century-old building down.
    Derek Gee / Buffalo News
    Demolition of Bethlehem building is delayed

Gateway VP blames delay on "timing issue," says demolition could still begin before June 21 court date
    By Mark Sommer
    News Staff Reporter
    Published:May 23, 2012, 1:55 PM
    8 Comments
    Related stories
    Bethlehem steel plant building prepared for razing
    Overnight vigil protests razing of Bethlehem building
    Bethlehem Steel site to be scrapped
    Denise Jewell Gee: Building anything but permanence

Demolition of the former Bethlehem Steel administration building has been temporarily put on hold — and the City of Lackawanna is now taking the building's owner, Gateway Trade Center, to court again June 21 for not moving quickly enough to demolish the building.

"The building had a stay of execution, so to speak," said Joseph LaRaiso, Gateway's executive vice president. "If the city backs off, we can back off, but they're not, from what I can understand."

Demolition could still begin before the June 21 court date, LaRaiso said.

"We're probably a week or two from restarting demolition," LaRaiso said. "I don't want to be found in contempt of court again." The city earlier obtained a court order to force the company to raze the century-old building.

LaRaiso said he was also learning from The Buffalo News for the first time that a $500,000 state grant the city applied for to help the company pay for the demolition was turned down.

"Of course, we are disappointed. It's a tremendous expense for us," he said.

LaRaiso blamed the demolition delay on "a timing issue" between the state Department of Labor and Empire Dismantlement, the demolition contractor, in which certain obligations, he said, had yet to be fulfilled before work could resume.

LaRaiso acknowledged that the city "has been on our case for years to do this, and we've been dragging our feet because of the economics." He said the company, which bought the building in 1983, concluded years ago it was "cost prohibitive" to rehabilitate the building but could, when the economy improves, build a new incubator office structure at the site.

Dana Saylor, among the preservationists who have had a presence outside the building over the past week, said she was glad for the reprieve and would work with others to mobilize sentiment for saving the building.

LaRaiso, however, was critical of the people demanding that the building be saved from the wrecking ball.

"Everyone wants to do these great, grandeurcq things, but no one wants to put any money to get anything done. Typical Western New York," LaRaiso said.

The state grant that was to pay for the company's estimated $700,000 to $800,000 demolition cost was withdrawn earlier this month because "an alternative reuse study of the building" was never conducted as promised, a state development agency spokeswoman said.

The City of Lackawanna was awarded $500,000 in October 2009 for asbestos removal based on a verbal agreement made with that agency and the state, according to Laura Magee, spokeswoman for Empire State Development Corp.

The agreement called for a reuse study that allowed for asbestos abatement and remediation, but not demolition. Gateway Trade Center, the building's owner, never conducted the study and informed Empire State Development on May 7 it was planning to demolish the building.

According to Magee, the company said it planned to do so without removing the asbestos first out of safety concerns and to reduce project costs.

She said the agency then notified the building owner and the city that since the reuse study promised earlier had not been conducted, the grant was withdrawn.

msommer@buffnews.com

Comments

Sort:NEWEST FIRST | OLDEST FIRST

Demolition by neglect.
    GREG OLMA, BUFFALO, NY on Wed May 23, 2012 at 03:43 PM
    Flag As Inappropriate

Stupid preservationists getting in the way of progress. This building is standing in the way of what could otherwise be a very beautiful drive from Orchard Park.
    LOU BORDONARO, BUFFALO, NY on Wed May 23, 2012 at 04:07 PM
    Flag As Inappropriate

Tell us, Mr. LaRaiso, you've owned this once-impressive building for 29 years and have done nothing to protect it or fix it and now you're disappointed that nobody will help you clean it up? If I ignore my property for the next 29 years is anybody gonna help me with it?
    MAUREEN ELARDO, NORTH TONAWANDA, NY on Wed May 23, 2012 at 04:12 PM
    Flag As Inappropriate

So if I understand this story correctly, Gateway promised to do a reuse study as a condition of getting a $500,000 grant, but never did the study. The $500,000 was to be used for asbestos abatement as part of the reuse study.

They are now saying that they plan to demolish WITHOUT first doing the asbestos abatement that they promised to do with the grant money.

Two things bother me:

1. I didn't think that demolition was legal WITHOUT first doing an asbestos abatement.

2. What happened to the reuse study?
    ALEXANDER MORRIS, PHILADELPHIA, PA on Wed May 23, 2012 at 04:59 PM
    Flag As Inappropriate

Is anyone going to hold the well meaning, yet obstructionist, "preservationists" accountable for their attempts to "save" buildings that are too far gone to save at a reasonable cost? It is one of this area's greatest crosses to bear. The well-meaning people that delay progress when a "landmark" is too far gone to save, must be called to account for failing to save historic structures before they are devestated ruins. The taxes on property in New York make historical losses like this the normal fate for unneeded, yet historic structures.
    PETER BENHAM, KENMORE, NY on Wed May 23, 2012 at 04:59 PM
    Flag As Inappropriate

Don't give this guy a cent. He should never have bought the building if his goal was to let it rot.
    MICHAEL DIPASQUALE, NORTHAMPTON, MA on Wed May 23, 2012 at 05:00 PM
    Flag As Inappropriate

First off, don't call demolition of this building "progress". Call it a failure of both the owners and the City of Lackawanna to take reasonable steps to preserve this building. Also don't pretend that the preservationists are just now getting into the act. I wrote a letter to the editor of the local paper (the Front Page) 3 years ago crticizing the city and the owner for seeking "Restore" funding to take it down. I also wrote at that time to the NYS Preservation people who are also now involved. At the time I said that just placing a xxx-load of blue plastic tarps on the roof would have prevented most of the water damage and it was wrong to reward blatant neglect with a corporate welfare check. Now, 3 years later there are still no blue tarps on the roof and both parties are anxious to demolish this beautiful industrial legacy. The owner now laments the fact that they lost their handout. Boo hoo!
    Here's a solution; re-district this property to be part of Buffalo and get the waterfront guys going on stabilizing the building. ( The city of Lackawanna long ago allowed the Olmstead South Park grounds to be transferred to Buffalo). It could serve as a landmark to designate the southern boundary of the Buffalo waterfront.
    Then get Higgins to get some money to demolish the rear 2/3rds which was added on later and save the front 1/3 as a memorial to the hundreds of thousands of men who worked at Bethlehem Steel from 1901 until it closed down.

Once its gone its gone forever; this one is worth the effort!
    JIM RUDNICKI, LAKEVIEW, NY on Wed May 23, 2012 at 08:08 PM
    Flag As Inappropriate

Good post, Jim.
    LOU BORDONARO, BUFFALO, NY on Wed May 23, 2012 at 09:25 PM
    Flag As Inappropriate
    ************************************************** ************************************************** *******************************
    Ask the Steel Plant Museum folks how hard they fought for Old North.....the City of Lackawanna Historian....Mayor Kathy tried to get City Hall moved there, but...the club struck again. Don't assume folks did not try to save and preserve Old North.....lots did but it always fell on deaf ears. Ironically Old North fights back on its own merit.......because the original front is standing proud and the newer back broke down to neglect and the elements. Old North will stand on and on because the hard-working men from the "old country" whose skills and sweat built it as a labor of love for America when they came to start a new life for themselves and their families. Old North gave them a job when they didn't even speak English yet, and many families today still reap their benefits.

The City went after Gateway back in 2006........someone should ask the former Mayor, WHY?
    A fiasco was created and now some big questions need to be answered.........Lackawanna

Good idea, give the front of it to the Buffalo Boys so they can tie its' wonder/mystique into OUR waterfront for posterity's sake. Leaving it up to Lackawanna, leaves it up to the ......." Lack " avision club! Let them build their "incubator office building" and use Old North's facade as they did in downtown Buffalo with the Old/new Blue Cross building.
    Leave it stand for something historical that affected millions of Western New York's to this very day, even though it has been closed for almost three decades. We need to put Lackawanna back on the map in a positive direction.....and maybe our neighbors negative image of us will one day begin to fade away........

CITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
    JUNE 19 2006

Regular session of the Lackawanna City Council met in the Council Chambers, Council President Ronald R. Spadone presiding. The meeting was preceded by the Pledge of Allegiance led by Council President Spadone
    Meeting called to order/Pledge of Allegiance
    NB: Meeting being recorded.
    Roll Call: Present: Haxton, Szymanski, Jaworski, Schiavi, Spadone
    Dept. Heads: Present: Law, Adm.& Fin., Pub.Works, Pub.Saf., Rec.

Communications from Department/Division Heads:

Demolition of Bethlehem Steel Main Office Building

To: City Council

Please put the attached resolution on the agenda for the council meeting.
    ARC. PETRICCA, CITY ATTORNEY
    Moved by Jaworski, seconded by Spadone, to receive and file, act on resolution.
    Yeas: Haxton, Szymanski, Jaworski, Schiavi, Spadone. Carried 5-0

Demolition of Bethlehem Steel Main Office

Resolution #14, 2006

Whereas, the former Bethlehem Steel Company Main office building on Hamburg Turnpike, Lackawanna New York assessed to Gateway Metro Park is an unsafe building pursuant to Chapter 83 of the city code and such constitutes a public nuisance under 83.3 of the code.

Now therefore be it resolved that the City Code Enforcement Officer and all other responsible city officials are hereby directed to initiate any proper action required to demolish the building forthwith as a emergency demolition and to assess the costs thereof as provided for by law.

THIS RESOLUTION SHALL TAKE EFFECT IMMEDIATELY

Moved by Jaworski, seconded by Szymanski, to adopt as written.

Yeas: Szymanski, Jaworski, Schiavi, Spadone. Carried 4 - 1

Nays: Haxton

************************************************** ************************************************

" Lack "avision strikes again! Follow the money as my friend always says......follow the money!

Cool Come on Lackawanna Believers....Let's ALL Ban together on this one, for OUR kids!

Calling ALL former Bethlehem Steel employees, their families, and ALL Concerned Citizens to come out to a peaceful rally of support to save OUR " Old North " located at Gate 1, Lackawanna, from the wrecking ball--and to hold the owners accountable!

Date: Monday June 4Th, 2012

Time : 5 PM

Place: In front of Old North (wear your hard-hat if you still have it!)

Post Priceless Heritage!......BTW:would you rather look at stacks of pallets or Old North?

Communities » Lackawanna
    Lackawanna
    Reuse study urged for Bethlehem site
    By Jay Tokasz
    News Staff Reporter

Published:June 5, 2012, 12:00 AM

A handful of Lackawanna residents on Monday urged the City Council to pressure Mayor Geoffrey Szymanski into doing an adaptive reuse study on the long-vacant Bethlehem Steel administration building that is scheduled for demolition.

“It is what the city has been built on, and it needs to stick around,” said Danielle Huber, founder of the Lackawanna Industrial Heritage Group, a new group that is fighting to preserve the ornate 1901 building.

The city has obtained a court order forcing the building’s current owner, Gateway Trade Center, to tear it down.

Preservationists rallied in the hours before demolition was set to begin on May 18. The work has been delayed since then, but it could restart shortly as the city continues to push for the demolition in court.

Szymanski has said in previous interviews he fully supports demolition because the building is unsafe and deteriorated beyond repair.

But those who want to save it believe it can be rehabilitated and reused. They called on the Council to assist in their efforts to stop the demolition. “When it’s gone, we will regret it,” Huber said.

Romaine Lillis, who fought to save the building years earlier, said the building remains an integral part of Lackawanna.

“What we’re trying to tell you people is this is the concern of your constituents,” said Lillis. “We’re asking from the heart that this be a place for the people of Lackawanna.”

Council President Henry Pirowski said, “In a perfect world, I’d love to see the building still standing.”

But he also said the Council did not have the authority to prevent the mayor from pursuing the demolition.

Pirowski said he had heard estimates of $5 million to rehabilitate the building.

City Attorney Norman LeBlanc Jr., referring to a letter received by the city, said the estimates were more along the lines of $40 million to $60 million.

“I cannot force Gateway to put $5 to $40 million or whatever the figure is into that property,” Pirowski said.

The massive Beaux Arts-style building served as administrative headquarters for the Lackawanna Iron & Steel Company and later, Bethlehem Steel. It has been empty since at least the early 1980s.

In other Council action Monday, it was revealed that Szymanski rescinded his appointment of 4th Ward Councilman Keith Lewis to the city’s Planning Board.

Under the state’s general city law, legislators cannot serve on a planning board because councils approve planning board decisions.

In a letter to Lewis, Szymanski apologized for the mistake and said he was unaware of the state provision.

Szymanski said he had hoped to build a “better working relationship” with the Council by allowing one of its members to serve on the Planning Board.

jtokasz@buffnews.com

Comments

Sort:NEWEST FIRST | OLDEST FIRST

Chancellor- the key point here is that the private owners have not been held accountable. Lackawanna City code enforcement has not actually enforced any code on Gateway Trade, who owns the building. If you allowed your home or building to deteriorate with broken windows, etc, wouldn't you be fined and hauled into housing court? We are simply advocating for fairness in the process.
    Secondly, I moved to Buffalo four years ago and just last fall learned a lot about historic preservation. Before that, I had NO IDEA that a random person like me could help save a privately-owned building. Now, I've learned that through media pressure, attendance at these types of government meetings, and public education, we can hold owners accountable.
    The "buy it yourself" argument doesn't hold water. So, just because I don't have millions of dollars means I have no say in how our cultural and architectural heritage is tossed in the trash, using (almost always) OUR tax dollars?? I have a right and a responsibility to speak out, as do you. Other cities understand the importance of saving and repurposing their historic structures- these very wealthy building owners can do so using 40% state and federal historic tax credits!

DANA SAYLOR-FURMAN, BUFFALO, NY on Wed Jun 6, 2012 at 09:17 AM
    Flag As Inappropriate

@ Keith Szczygiel - if the preservationists wanted that particular building in Lackawanna saved, and the building was still allowed to sit vacant and rotting, the preservationists most certainly should shoulder at least some of the blame. You've had since the 1980s to do something and you didn't.

And, no, not all preservationists are looked upon as all talk and no action, only the ones that insist on dictating to others instead of taking on the cost and responsibility themselves. I have no problem with preservationists who actually put their money where their mouth is.

As for the building in question, has anyone considered looking into the feasibility and cost of moving it to a more desirable location?

As far as I'm concerned, private property means exactly that: private - as in it's the owner's to do with pretty much as he pleases (with very few exceptions).
    CHANCELLOR CARLYLE ROBERTS II, BUFFALO, NY on Tue Jun 5, 2012 at 01:21 PM
    Flag As Inappropriate

The preservationists didn't let anything rot away, the neglectful owners did. The city then aided this by not enforcing building codes that would have at least kept the building protected from the elements and stable for future reuse.

I know preservationists are looked upon as all talk and no action but to the contrary many people like myself have invested money in rehabbing 100 plus year old homes. Not to mention people like Termini, Croce, and even Paladino with deep pockets that have proven there is a way and reason to save these old buildings. Take a walk around the Lafeytte or Statler for examples.

I realize the location of this particular building is really difficult to deal with but fundamentally we should be trying to save these types of buildings. If not its very likely you and I will end up paying for the demolition of them anyway. Wouldn't you rather that money go to saving an irreplaceable building that adds to the landscape of our city that other cities clamor for? Unless of course you think the bland Dollar General type buildings or plastic mcmansions are better for the longevity of our region.
    KEITH SZCZYGIEL, BUFFALO, NY on Tue Jun 5, 2012 at 09:31 AM
    Flag As Inappropriate

If the preservationists are so concerned about the building, why did they allow it to sit vacant since the 1980s? Why didn't they do something about the building back then?

If the preservationists want to save every old building in WNY, let them pay for it themselves.
    CHANCELLOR CARLYLE ROBERTS II, BUFFALO, NY on Tue Jun 5, 2012 at 09:15 AM
    Flag As Inappropriate
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **************************

It is called VISION......goals + sweat equity = accomplishing your vision.
    Can we all, " just get along "......and at least try?!?

It is a new day, and Lackawanna needs to be put on the map for something other than its, ( you can fill in the blank )........OUR posterity will not even know that a great STEEL Plant City Business stood on those appr. 1380 acres........it was its own city inside the City of Lackawanna. Demolish it and you will also demolish the visual memory of another era.......an era that the steel made there helped to build up and keep OUR country the "land of the free"!

That Building, that thousands of us take for granted because we grew up with it, is the last symbol of the greatness that surrounded the industry that supported not only Lackawanna but Western New York!

The building should be revitalized as a monument to the millions of immigrants and others who passed through its front door and built the steel that got OUR country through WWI, and WWII, etc.

Politicians make mistakes all the time, like they did in the above News article about the LA Planning Board appointment ( this was the 2nd time this happened, when Spadone the 4th Ward Council Member had to step done from the same Board too ).......and just like everybody else, they are not experts nor structural engineers.

Lackawanna Politicians, Gateway and naysayers......once it is gone.....you will NEVER be able to replace the concepts and history of " OLD NORTH ". NEVER!

Post Please Come and Bring a Friend or Neighbor!

LACKAWANNA:

Bethlehem building’s future is topic of meeting today

News Staff Reports

Published:June 13, 2012, 12:00 AM

The history, current status and future of the Bethlehem Steel Administration Building will be the focus of a meeting at 7p.m. today in John B. Weber Post, Veterans of Foreign Wars, 2909 South Park Ave., Lackawanna.

The meeting, organized by the newly formed Lackawanna Industrial Heritage Group, will include a panel discussion moderated by local preservationist Chris Hawley. The ornate, three-story structure, built in 1901 and located at the Lackawanna-Buffalo border, has been in disrepair for years. A demolition was set to begin May 18, but it has been delayed following last-ditch efforts by area preservationists to save the building

Post Great Start!

Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post
    LACKAWANNA:

Bethlehem building’s future is topic of meeting today

News Staff Reports

Published:June 13, 2012, 12:00 AM

The history, current status and future of the Bethlehem Steel Administration Building will be the focus of a meeting at 7p.m. today in John B. Weber Post, Veterans of Foreign Wars, 2909 South Park Ave., Lackawanna.

The meeting, organized by the newly formed Lackawanna Industrial Heritage Group, will include a panel discussion moderated by local preservationist Chris Hawley. The ornate, three-story structure, built in 1901 and located at the Lackawanna-Buffalo border, has been in disrepair for years. A demolition was set to begin May 18, but it has been delayed following last-ditch efforts by area preservationists to save the building
    About 30 people turned out for some great dialogue about the presence of " OLD NORTH " on Lackawanna's/Buffalo's waterfront. Half of the building is actually in Buffalo but Lackawanna City has always taxed and has had jurisdiction over it.
    Memories were discussed along with the reality of the present condition of the building, ownership, legalities, and of course the BIG MONEY to save it.
    Thanx to LA Council President Hank Pirowski for listening and participating in all the exciting proposals/suggestions from people in the know, such as getting her on the National Register for Historic Buildings! The owners have to sign on and we are hoping for a fresh-start re-pore to soon be established amongst all parties: Gateway--The City of Lackawanna/Buffalo-Erie County--and the Preservationist groups leading the charge.

Stay tuned, and get on board.......we need everyone's help for this campaign to succeed! Call all your politicians and voice your opinion---this will be a good starting place!

P.S.
    Maybe Lackawanna City Hall is going to get there yet! We have to hurry up.......the orange crate is rotting by the second. I pray no one gets hurt if one of those beams go. Geoff, how about a real STRUCTURAL ENGINEER"S report on the condition of Lackawanna City Hall so we know....it is 2012, and in the 1990's there was lots of hollaring going on to close it down! Kathy tried to get City Hall there then........let's try again, we have nothing to lose, and LOTS to gain. BTW, it is all on public record.

Post The "Midnight Hour" has struck........

Report It
    onPolitix
    Winging It
    Home : News : Local :
    Video
    Photo
    Must-See Video…
    Bethlehem demo issue due in court soon

Updated: Sunday, 18 Nov 2012, 7:40 PM EST
    Published : Sunday, 18 Nov 2012, 6:56 PM EST
    Lou Raguse
    Posted by: Liz Reiman
    LACKAWANNA, N.Y. (WIVB) - Many preservationists protested outside the old Bethlehem Steel building otherwise known as the "Diamond of Lackawanna" to prevent its demolition.

The 90 day stay of the demolition order expires this week and a judge will rule again by the end of the month whether the building can be knocked down.

Although people say it employed thousands of people over the years, it hasn't employed anyone in 30 years.

Windows are smashed, but the deterioration on the outside is nothing compared to what the city officials say is inside.

The city's code enforcer says the second and third floor ceilings have collapsed and the floors are unstable.

The city has a court order for demolition, but in August, a judge extended a stay 90 days to give the building's owner more time to file an appeal.

The 90 day stay expires Thanksgiving day and a judge will rule again on November 28th.

The preservationists would like to see the building fixed up and developed into maybe a shopping center, hotel, or restaurants; something to draw people to the area once again.

Andrea Haxton from Lackawanna says, "It's not going to come back to that or anything, but we have to do something to tie Lackawanna in to all the good stuff happening in South Buffalo here. This would do it for us."

Preservationist Bill Magavern says he pledged a significant amount of money to restore the building, but is disappointed there doesn't seem o be a plan of what can be done with it."It's very difficult to save a historic building if the owner and municipality are not dedicated," he says.

The protesters still hope the building can be saved.

Andrea, I saw you on the news! You seemed well spoken, and its good to see all the people there supporting a cause to save something they think is important. But.... This quote"
    The preservationists would like to see the building fixed up and developed into maybe a shopping center, hotel, or restaurants; something to draw people to the area once again." seems kind of naive. Who exactly is going to put up the tens of millions of dollars to do that? Why do preservationists always want to make suggestions for other people's money?

Post Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by highestpropertytaxes View Post
    Andrea, I saw you on the news! You seemed well spoken, and its good to see all the people there supporting a cause to save something they think is important. But.... This quote"
    The preservationists would like to see the building fixed up and developed into maybe a shopping center, hotel, or restaurants; something to draw people to the area once again." seems kind of naive. Who exactly is going to put up the tens of millions of dollars to do that? Why do preservationists always want to make suggestions for other people's money?
    Thank You.
    You have a keen insight into the crux of the situation.
    The preservationists believe the owners should be held accountable for the mess and restorations........I agree, BUT, a public partnership commitment should be put in place to cement the big picture AND future of it all. Why one man alone had stated years ago ( I just found out that day) that he will pledge $100,000 towards the goal........now we only need about 50-100 or so more people like him and we will git'ter done!
    Mr. Higgins can find them, I am sure!
    The building deserves to tie and anchor all of the fine restoration and revitalization going on along OUR beloved waterfront. (Finally.) This building is Lackawanna'a only hope of becoming cool again.....and BTW: a real money maker for ALL parties!

My friend believes if the just manicured the lawn and pruned the trees...and put spotlights on it to show off the entire architecture, to attract public interest-appeal, it would be a start up the mountain!

This restoration should have been started and completed 20 years ago.....but political blinders put a kibosh to its fruition, and unfortunately for all of us it seems to have not changed.
    The City is pushing for it to be demolished because they say it is unsafe.......I say it is a cover-up for........you fill in the blank.

Yep. Bottom line......Follow the money.

Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post
    Thank You.
    You have a keen insight into the crux of the situation.
    The preservationists believe the owners should be held accountable for the mess and restorations........I agree, BUT, a public partnership commitment should be put in place to cement the big picture AND future of it all. Why one man alone had stated years ago ( I just found out that day) that he will pledge $100,000 towards the goal........now we only need about 50-100 or so more people like him and we will git'ter done!
    Mr. Higgins can find them, I am sure!
    The building deserves to tie and anchor all of the fine restoration and revitalization going on along OUR beloved waterfront. (Finally.) This building is Lackawanna'a only hope of becoming cool again.....and BTW: a real money maker for ALL parties!

My friend believes if the just manicured the lawn and pruned the trees...and put spotlights on it to show off the entire architecture, to attract public interest-appeal, it would be a start up the mountain!

This restoration should have been started and completed 20 years ago.....but political blinders put a kibosh to its fruition, and unfortunately for all of us it seems to have not changed.
    The City is pushing for it to be demolished because they say it is unsafe.......I say it is a cover-up for........you fill in the blank.

Yep. Bottom line......Follow the money.

You appear to be on to something there, Andrea. Follow the money it might be? It is a shame if it gets knocked down. What will be left to remind Southtowns residents of the grandeur of Bethlehem that once was there? Bethlehem Steel built this city. So many families were fed and so many people worked there through their college years to become public servants in various city, county & state positions. Tie into the history that it was Andrew Carnegie who gambled on this guy named Bessemer who had a process for turning out steel faster and managed to build skyskrapers from structural steel at the turn of the century. Lackawanna has that LAST Carnegie Foundation Library built in the United States. There is another tie into the importance of Old North historically.

I truly hope the judge delays the demolition & the owners are made aware of the funding available. Perhaps they could just knock down the additions to the Old building which appear to be in more deterioration than Old North herself? Or, this myopic City & it's myopic officials will declare it an amergency & force demolition. Once it's declared an emergency, they don't have to bid the job out! Then, follow the money!

How do you declare an emergency on something that has been in pretty much the same state of disrepair for at least 20 years? Really gotta watch this one!

Post Yepper! You have hit the nail on the head!

Quote Originally Posted by LAsurvivor View Post
    How do you declare an emergency on something that has been in pretty much the same state of disrepair for at least 20 years? Really gotta watch this one!
    Yepper!
    An email from Danielle asking ALL of us to sign this petetion.
    Thanks,
    Andrea

Hello,

PLEASE, take ten seconds to sign this petition for the Bethlehem Steel North Administration Building. Also, feel free to share it via social media sites and your contact lists.

This petition is in regards to saving the magnificent 1901 Beaux Arts building designed by Lancing Holden that employed so many of our ancestors and is what put Lackawanna on the map (as it used to be part of West Seneca). This building is fundamental to Lackawanna, Buffalo, and WNY's urban fabric and its future, especially with all of the waterfront development that extends down to the Union Ship Canal. We have completed reuse studies, had the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) do a walk-through/analysis and they said that it was sound, and we have put forth much effort to work with the municipal government and the owners of the building. We could use your help by signing the petition and if you'd like to get more involved, please feel free to contact us.

https://www.change.org/petitions/cit...ion-building-2

Also, 'Like' us on (Lackawanna Industrial Heritage Group) Facebook!!
    Thank you so much,

Danielle Huber

aka Dedicated to Buffalo
    www.DEDICATEDtoBUFFALO.com
    Dedicated to Buffalo (Facebook)
    Dedicated2Bflo (Twitter)
    Danielle Huber (Google+)
    A great city is that which has the greatest men and women.
    ~Walt Whitman

Vision...........

Proverbs 29:18

King James Version (KJV)

" Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he ".................

Just wondering what "VISION" the politicians who control the City of Lackawanna's future have for OUR City.................

Thread Information