Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: penalty for not having prescription bottle

Wow. I had no idea it was a crime to carry a pill outside of it's flipping bottle. I'm breaking the law when my purse has a few of my thyroid pills floating around at the bottom? Crazy!
    1 Corinthians 13:1 "If I speak in the languages of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."

Quote Originally Posted by fp2206 View Post
    All charges were dropped due to being all prescription drugs.
    That's good.
    I can see this case being handled as an ACD.
    You show the judge a valid prescription and charges dismissed.

Personally. When I'm on a script, I'll just bring whatever I need for the work hours.
    Cause I know I'll leave the damn bottle at work.
    Hillary will NEVER be President
    Obama is a FORMER President
    Joe Biden is in Scranton eating paste.

Quote Originally Posted by Bannister View Post
    Wow. I had no idea it was a crime to carry a pill outside of it's flipping bottle. I'm breaking the law when my purse has a few of my thyroid pills floating around at the bottom? Crazy!
    It's a violation subject to a max fine of $50:

NYS Public Health Law:

§ 3345. Possession of controlled substances by ultimate users original container. Except for the purpose of current use by the person or animal for whom such substance was prescribed or dispensed, it shall be unlawful for an ultimate user of controlled substances to possess such substance outside of the original container in which it was dispensed. Violation of this provision shall be an offense punishable by a fine of not more than fifty dollars.

I wonder if there are any regulations issued with respect to the exception "for the purpose of current use" because that could mean the same as the often asked question "are you currently taking any medication" - wich doesn't mean "at this moment" but rather are you regularly taking medication, or it could mean "about to swallow."

I'm guessing it means the former, so that as long as you have a current prescription for the pills you are not in violation of the law even though they pills are not in the original container.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information