Thread: First Round of Budget Cuts

First Round of Budget Cuts

In the Snews this morning, it was reported that the cuts made in the first round only amounted to $28 million. And why? Because they cut items that were being paid for by the state. I know at this point its been asked over and over again, but what is wrong with these people? How could they have missed something so FUNDEMENTAL to the process?

The other thing is why is the media reporting the original cut was $54 million when it appeared at the time that $14 million was achieved by raiding a revenue account of some sort. The first 24 hours the media kept pressing this issue- but now it has disappeared.

Maybe they found out that statement was incorrect, but I haven't seen it anywhere. In fact, I haven't seen the specifics of the first round of cuts in print. If anyone could supply this, it would be greatly appreciated.
    -r

moonshine
    It's a fundamental flaw of stringed puppets with wooden heads and bodies. Do you really think these people have the ability to perform basic math? They probably think macroeconomics is the the cost of Kraft macaroni and cheese. Unless their handler tells them what to say they will remain dumbfounded. Better to circumvent the entire legislature and just let the beancounters sort it out.

I still want to know why they feel they can't touch mandated departments. Am I wrong in thinking that it's the services that are mandated, not the size or funding of the departments? Why can't they operate with less money?

Solar - I'm guessing you're correct. They are probably glossing over that detail so nobody touches those departments. That's probably where they hired in the most friends and family.

yet another scam.

The starnge thing is I am having problems figuring out what exactly is mandated and what isn't. Even if you look at the differences between the Red and Green Budgets, there are cuts to departments which supposedly "mandated". The only way to untangle this mess is the figure out what is mandated and work up from there.

Take a look at the red budget at some point... anything with "A-Delete" in the remarks field was in the Green Budget, but not in the Red. I don't think anyone in media spent enough time looking at these budgets. Because based upon what the media is now reporting about MANDATE PROTECTION, my interpretation is that the Red Budget would be out of line from those mandates. So either they exist as we're being told and Giambra submitted a budget (red) that is out of line with the mandates OR The mandate issue is being blown way out of proportion and the red budget fit.
    -r

I still want to know why they feel they can't touch mandated departments. Am I wrong in thinking that it's the services that are mandated, not the size or funding of the departments? Why can't they operate with less money?

I just want to say that based on budgets cuts from the County, the libraries laid off more than 100 employees and eliminated about 400 hours of services at the branches. The B&ECPL is running a 52-branch system on a shoe-string budget, but they are still running 52 branches. And although I know there are many anti-library people out there... if you look at how well the system has adopted these cuts, running a system as large and efficiently as this one - they are doing well.

This whole 'red budget' is not as black as it appears. With the right cuts/decreased pays from County departments, things will work out for the better of Erie County. I have faith.

It's things like keeping Victor Getz on the County payroll that need to be looked at.

Originally posted by Night Owl
    It's things like keeping Victor Getz on the County payroll that need to be looked at.
    Exactly my point. Even so-called mandated charter positions... who determined that this guy needs to make $72,000/year? For what, exactly? If the parks are closed, we don't need a deputy parks commissioner. Hire an intern for $10/hour to go make sure all the locks are still on.

Begins with S between Eggertsville and Williamsville

WHAT WE NEED TO DO NOW.....

WHAT WE NEED TO DO NOW.....
    Is ask the state to come in stop the legislature and stop the county before this goes past the point of NO RETURN.....

I read on another board that Buffalo and WNY is headed down the road of Newark, NJ.... A place with absolutely nothing except nothing.....

That may be extreme........

But we can't count on the powers that be to stop the madness going on right now.... They are all playing games with our future...... We should get a petition going imploring the state to step in and stop this mess....

It is going way beyond stopping a simple tax hike.....

The powers that be are willing to cut all the wrong things that could end up putting WNY in hole for the next 20-30 years.....

They are willing to closeout our assets.....
    Christopher Byrd
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    http://indabuff.com
    http://broadwayfillmorealive.org

Thread Information