Thread: Should Lancaster Residents be Looking at their Assessments?

Should Lancaster Residents be Looking at their Assessments?

I was intrigued by this story in the Buffalo News - http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/462916.html. Higher home values will boost county tax bills for many - Taxes are underside of Collins’ value pitch, By Matthew Spina NEWS STAFF REPORTER

It leads readers to this website - http://fightyourassessment.com/

It leads me to wonder if Lancaster's assessments are too high for today's market.

Is there a way to find out without having to deal with Miserable Coldman and her minions in the town jerk's office.

Homesales are usually listed in the Buffalo News. Are Lancaster's assessments online?
    The town board creates the problems and when the residents complain, the town board tells them it's the resident's fault.

Originally Posted by Wag

Are Lancaster's assessments online?
    http://www.oarsystem.com/ny/lancaster/main.asp

"I have some of the more experienced people in the legislature working for me. That's why my monetary situation is different." - State Senator Dale Volker when asked about cutting his office expenses.

"It's a perfect example of you need to get out and vote because all your votes count".
    Mark Montour- Democratic, Republican, Independence, Conservative and Working Families parties candidate for Lancaster Town Justice

"I don't think it was luck" -Donna Stempniak, unopposed candidate for Lancaster Town Council on winning re-election.

“What these towns are about to do, if they have their way, is kill the goose that laid the golden egg” -Victor Martucci, vice president of Marrano Marc/Equity in response to local towns opposing the 339-y condo law.

Reassessments are feel good weaponless larcenies. Feel good larcenies in that you feel good when they tell you your home value has increased, but where municiplaities and their school districts can fudge the new lower tax rates and take more of our dollars.

However, should a reval take place in Lancaster in 2010, as our assessor has indicated, even if everyones assessments were lowered the tax rate would increase and the municipalities will get what they want in tax dollars anyway.

It is ludicrous that at a time when all homeowners are faced with financial pressures, our town supervisor boasts that the proposed 3.42% increase in town taxes is reasonable because we kept the status quo - that we didn't cut any services, lay off any town employees, gave everyone 3% raises, continue with the longevity pay increases that add another 1-2% to their salary increase, spend $32,000 for a Tahoe SUV, continue to give $6,000 health insurance buyouts to part time employees (councilmembers), etc.

And, incumbent Councilmember Abraham openly states in the media that he is okay with all this.

Collins just announced a 3.6% increase in county taxes while handing out some huge salary increases that he says is justified. The state and federal government will be soon following with their tax increases.

Your tax bill is determined by 2 factors
    the formula is this:
    Tax rate per thousand of valuation (set by town school, etc) multiplied by the (assessed value divided by 1000)= your tax bill.
    So, if they lower assessments. they naturally raise the rate Or in the town of Lancaster they lower the rate and raise assessments. This lets them claim lower or equal taxes, but in reality they raise assessments more than they lower rate, so your taxes go up!
    It is a shell game that fools many people, and they then vote the losers back in. See Gizas history and know its true!

So they got ya comin and going.

What a racket.

My house ain't worth what it's assessed at. A house on my street, that was assessed higher than mine, just sold for less than what my house is assessed at.

If I challenge my assessment as an individual, my individual taxes will go down - if all the other factors remain the same?

If we challenge our assessment as a town, collectively our taxes will remain the same - because the town will increase the rate.

So it behooves the town to raise our assessments to make it look like our houses are worth more, and they can lower the tax rate, creating the illusion that our taxes are lower - if they maintain the spending at the status quo?

No wonder I don't like politicians.
    The town board creates the problems and when the residents complain, the town board tells them it's the resident's fault.

Don't look now, but I fear the sky is falling.

No doubt the Assessment Gods are about to descend upon us, and there is no way they're going to be kind and gentle. Not in this town. I'm not big on fighting losing battles, but, oh how I will try.

Thread Information