Thread: WHy we need a new hall at any volunteer fire company.

The point is the revenue that can be gained from a rental hall to pay for the extra things like the picnics and parties. It's not about using the same amount to rent a place opposed to building. I see cars parked there almost every weekend for what i'm guessing are rentals. That must provide some sort of decent money to the fire hall or they would stop doing it. Even say it provides $10000 a year. That's $10000 gained from outside sources that they don't need to depend on taxpayers for. In my opinion thats the same principal as a fundraiser.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by resq911
    The point is the revenue that can be gained from a rental hall to pay for the extra things like the picnics and parties. It's not about using the same amount to rent a place opposed to building. I see cars parked there almost every weekend for what i'm guessing are rentals. That must provide some sort of decent money to the fire hall or they would stop doing it. Even say it provides $10000 a year. That's $10000 gained from outside sources that they don't need to depend on taxpayers for. In my opinion thats the same principal as a fundraiser.
    Are you a volunteer group to put out fires or do you compete against the private sector?

How much is a hall? $500,000 ? You can have a $1000 dollar party/picnic once a month for the next 41 years. $500,000 / $1000 /12 = about 41 years. While saving all the other cost associated with something you just don't need.

What amount are you all thinking to save $10,000 a year? Thats only $833 a month.

What is the mortgage payment on a new hall?

What does a new hall cost anyways that they would like to build?

The ROI on that business case could never justify a loan.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Exactly but that's how a lot of people in "government" think and that's why we have one of the highest taxes in the USA.

Are there any volunteers here that are willing to show the "books" of their firehall?

Quote Originally Posted by resq911
    Posters like you give them a bad name. You think it is OK to have anew fire station so they can generate money for picnics?? It's times like this that one must really think before they post.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Scanner_Head
    Posters like you give them a bad name. You think it is OK to have anew fire station so they can generate money for picnics?? It's times like this that one must really think before they post.
    This is the mentality that you have involved in the halls. THIS is also the mentality you have in a lot of local governments and other government groups.

Someone emailed me that I'm anti government.. I'm far from it. I'm anti stupid.

People seem to get confused by "revenue". Revenue is good, but it isn't synonymous with PROFIT. You can have revenues and still LOSE MONEY.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    This is the mentality that you have involved in the halls. THIS is also the mentality you have in a lot of local governments and other government groups.

Someone emailed me that I'm anti government.. I'm far from it. I'm anti stupid.

Soooooo, are ya saying my mentality is wrong, or you are agreeing with me? I'm confused!!!

Volunteer fire dept's are classified as Non-Profit organizations. I have a problem with them trying to persue profitability while simultaneously competeing against for-profit businesses in the same market.

Sure, fish fry's and wedding reception rentals seem innocent enough, trying to raise funds for a volunteer organization. But they compete at an unfair advantage against businesses which are required to pay taxes on profits that must invest cash to remain profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLV
    Volunteer fire dept's are classified as Non-Profit organizations. I have a problem with them trying to persue profitability while simultaneously competeing against for-profit businesses in the same market.

Sure, fish fry's and wedding reception rentals seem innocent enough, trying to raise funds for a volunteer organization. But they compete at an unfair advantage against businesses which are required to pay taxes on profits that must invest cash to remain profitable.
    What makes it unfair?
    So are you saying that they should not be able to compete with profitable organizations? If that's the case, you must be for increased fire taxes? If they can't raise funds by organizing events such as fish fries, gun raffles, ham-steak and turkey raffles how do they pay their bills?

I can only imagine in today's day and age what they must pay to maintain those fire trucks, send firefighters to school or purchase other things. I saw an article discussing those AED things, 5K a pop. Pretty inexpensive for a small piece of plastic to save a life.

If they can't raise funds by organizing events such as fish fries, gun raffles, ham-steak and turkey raffles how do they pay their bills?
    Well, if they don't spend beyond their means in building a hall then this won'd be a problem.

I can only imagine in today's day and age what they must pay to maintain those fire trucks, send firefighters to school or purchase other things.
    Imagine how long the trucks would last if they actually took care of them correctly. Too many fire departments prefer to buy new trucks than take care of the ones that they have. But that's how it works when you don't have to be financially responsible. I bet a private owner of a fire engine would be capable of maintaining an engine at least twice as long.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Soooooo, are ya saying my mentality is wrong, or you are agreeing with me? I'm confused!!!
    I was agreeing with you.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What makes it unfair?
    So are you saying that they should not be able to compete with profitable organizations? If that's the case, you must be for increased fire taxes? If they can't raise funds by organizing events such as fish fries, gun raffles, ham-steak and turkey raffles how do they pay their bills?

I can only imagine in today's day and age what they must pay to maintain those fire trucks, send firefighters to school or purchase other things. I saw an article discussing those AED things, 5K a pop. Pretty inexpensive for a small piece of plastic to save a life.
    Don't build a hall for receptions you don't need and look at the the money you have for $5000 a pop plastic pieces. Plus you have a revenue stream from our tax base.

Maybe we should have the fire halls open their books for all to see. You know that is not going to happen, the towns contract for the protection but do they know how much is really in the coffers?

Thread Information