Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repeal laws on permits for mace & pistols

Repeal laws on permits for mace & pistols

I don't own either, obviously, but when I see stuff like this I can't help but wonder if the area would have a lot less brazen street crime if there was a higher probability of victims being able to defend themselves. At least the UB police are very good at reporting almost every single violent crime that occurs so people know the problem is out there.

But the solution has to be more than transparency in reporting violent street crime. It is obvious that criminals out there don't fear the police, given the time it takes for them to respond. How many instances of robberies have there been where the victim gets hurt, even if they comply and give in?

It's time to repeal the ridiculous laws requiring background forms for mace purchase and arbitrary gun licenses for pistols. Thoughts?

On a side note: Anybody ever go to Erie, PA? 6" across the border and every other store is selling pistols and mace.

UB Police Investigating strong-arm robbery on South Campus
    Release Date: February 4, 2009

University Police are investigating a strong-arm robbery that occurred on Feb. 3, 2009, at approximately 7:55 p.m. in the Main/Bailey Parking Lot on the University at Buffalo South (Main Street) Campus.

The victim was approached from behind and assaulted by a group described as four black males, 5-feet 10-inches to 6-feet tall, in their late teens to early 20s and all wearing dark clothing.
    PS - Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Quote Originally Posted by MoreOfTheSame View Post
    I don't own either, obviously, but when I see stuff like this I can't help but wonder if the area would have a lot less brazen street crime if there was a higher probability of victims being able to defend themselves. At least the UB police are very good at reporting almost every single violent crime that occurs so people know the problem is out there.

But the solution has to be more than transparency in reporting violent street crime. It is obvious that criminals out there don't fear the police, given the time it takes for them to respond. How many instances of robberies have there been where the victim gets hurt, even if they comply and give in?

It's time to repeal the ridiculous laws requiring background forms for mace purchase and arbitrary gun licenses for pistols. Thoughts?

On a side note: Anybody ever go to Erie, PA? 6" across the border and every other store is selling pistols and mace.

PS - Sorry if this is the wrong forum.
    What a bunch of knuckleheads! Stealing someones Burger King meal? It's too bad that person didn't have mace, or something to protect themselves with. It should be legal in NYS.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue View Post
    What a bunch of knuckleheads! Stealing someones Burger King meal? It's too bad that person didn't have mace, or something to protect themselves with. It should be legal in NYS.
    Over the last twenty plus years, I've looked through KNIFE catalogs that also include all kinds of mace, brass knuckles ("paperweights), switchblades, sword canes, knives concealed in belt buckles, nunchakas, sai, you-name-it.

There are about ten states which do not allow buyers (from knife catalogs/websites) to order certain prohibited items, such as mace and
    New York State has made it illegal to purchase more self-defense items than ANY OTHER STATE, such as Rhode Island, Hawaii.

If you can conceal an edged (or other non-firearm) weapon, you can NOT buy it if you live in New York State.

What bugs me is that if a criminal wants a gun, they'll just go out and buy one from any one of a number of dealers and/or "friends" while responsible citizens have to wait a LOOOONG time to get a firearm/carry permit;Not talking about rifles and shotguns.

So roughly 40 or less states ALLOW mace but for some reason its DANGEOUS and TOTALLY ILLEGAL to use mace in New York State for self-defense.

Of course, New York State does NOT allow individuals to own TASERS like the ones you see on those infomertials.

Yes. I can easily see the potential for abusing mace and tasers and other "toys," but if they're illegal for "good reasons" in New York and nine other states, make them illegal on a FEDERAL level or make them legal in ALL states.

How many rapes, murders, abductions and other crimes MAY have been prevented if the victims carried non-lethal protection (duh, yes, the assaliant can grab your weapon and use it against you but more people would be saved than harmed, statistically).
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Unregistered
    Thanks to Governor Pataki, you can carry pepper spray in NY State.

http://selfdefenses.com/forcespray/newyork.html

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA View Post
    Thanks to Governor Pataki, you can carry pepper spray in NY State.

http://selfdefenses.com/forcespray/newyork.html

This is kind of what I am railing about above. While you CAN buy mace in New York there are so many bureaucratic blocks against it. You have to buy it from a pharmacist or a gun store. How many pharmacies in Buffalo sell mace? I've never seen one. So now you have to schlep your way to a gun store. How many of those are there in the city?

But that's not all! You then have to fill out a sworn background statement from the police, which is then kept on file by the police who knows where and for who knows what purpose and even then you can only buy two at a time.

That's not reasonable. Reasonable would be like the rest of the states where you could buy as much as you want from any merchant without the bureaucratic overhead and police paperwork.

Meanwhile, if you buy it legally outside of NY in some reasonable jurisdiction (like Erie, PA) you are liable to charges if you bring it back into the state and use it in self defense. How is that fair?

So yes, Pataki did allow it to be purchased in the state. But he put up so many arbitrary barriers that it's ridiculous.

I own pistols and cs gas. They are both difficult to use with out practice. If you pull the weapon out you must be prepared to use it. Fire the handgun center of mass. CS gas should be fired at the chin/face. These weapons are not to be used to scare the "bad guy" away. If you pull them out you are using them. Most people would have a hard time doing this. Maybe to buy these items you should be trained to use them or they may be used against you.

Unregistered
    I agree with Citizen. I also own both, and have the training to back both up. Just because you buy ice skates doesn't mean you can play hockey. You need training.
    Years ago, when I was going thru the NY (Erie County) permit process the two detectives that came to my house for an interview basically laughed at the process. They said if I really wanted a gun that they could take me into the city and have me hooked up in 15 minutes for less than $100.00. It was their opinion that they would probably never arrest a licensed gun owner for a violent attack.
    They also left me with two pieces of advice.
    1. If you do have to shoot someone in self defense make sure that there is only one side of a story. (center mass!)
    2. If you do have to shoot someone in defense of your home make sure the body is inside before the cops show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthdetector View Post
    I agree with Citizen. I also own both, and have the training to back both up. Just because you buy ice skates doesn't mean you can play hockey. You need training.
    Years ago, when I was going thru the NY (Erie County) permit process the two detectives that came to my house for an interview basically laughed at the process. They said if I really wanted a gun that they could take me into the city and have me hooked up in 15 minutes for less than $100.00. It was their opinion that they would probably never arrest a licensed gun owner for a violent attack.
    1. If you do have to shoot someone in self defense make sure that there is only one side of a story. (center mass!)
    2. If you do have to shoot someone in defense of your home make sure the body is inside before the cops show up.

make sure the entry wounds are in the front of the perp, it's hard to make a case for self defense if they were fleeing, however if they were fleeing to get a shot then it would be ok.

About every Buffalo cop I have ever spoken to say shoot the dirtbags, society is better off without the scum

I could not agree more!

Unregistered
    Between discussions on gun control and health care I am in need of a drink.

I'm pretty sure that it's not mace you are buying at a pharmacy or gun store. Pepper spray (up to a certain amount of capsacium) is legal to buy and sell on NYS. mace is similair to tear gas. Mace is illegal, however there is a brand name of pepper spray called "Mace". It's not the same thing. And no, the mace we are talking about IS NOT the spice in your cupboard.
    Check out these facts @ mace vs pepper spray, then go buy yourself some pepper spray.

Mace vs. Pepper Spray

The Basics: Mace and Pepper Spray are two DIFFERENT self defense products

Mace is classified as an irritant and is similar to tear gas.

Pepper spray is classified as an inflammatory agent and will immediately
    incapacitate an assailant.

Commonly, Mace has no affect on criminals under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Pepper spray will take down and cause temporary pain to those under the influence.

Unlike pepper spray, Mace will NOT cause inflammation of the capillaries of the eyes and skin causing temporary blindness, nausea, breathing difficulties and an intense burning sensation.

It is important to note that Mace is also a brand name associated with pepper spray products.

http://www.pepper-spray-store.com/re...perspray.shtml

Self Defense is a HUMAN RIGHT. I would like to see people realize that just because some moron wrote some words down on paper in Albany does not make it right.

Bad laws should be disobeyed.
    If you walk around in a forest with your eyes closed you will eventually walk in to a tree.

2 + 2 = 5

Jesus died for your sins I do it for your mere entertainment dollar (Doug Stanhope)

or..make sure you put a weapon of somekind in their hand

Quote Originally Posted by Truthdetector View Post
    1. If you do have to shoot someone in self defense make sure that there is only one side of a story. (center mass!)2. If you do have to shoot someone in defense of your home make sure the body is inside before the cops show up.
    "BETTER to be judged by 12 of your peers...than carried by 6"

I wonder if we can make our own pepper spray? This way we are not buying it or selling it. It's from our cupboard.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfounded View Post
    Over the last twenty plus years, I've looked through KNIFE catalogs that also include all kinds of mace, brass knuckles ("paperweights), switchblades, sword canes, knives concealed in belt buckles, nunchakas, sai, you-name-it.

There are about ten states which do not allow buyers (from knife catalogs/websites) to order certain prohibited items, such as mace and
    New York State has made it illegal to purchase more self-defense items than ANY OTHER STATE, such as Rhode Island, Hawaii.

If you can conceal an edged (or other non-firearm) weapon, you can NOT buy it if you live in New York State.

What bugs me is that if a criminal wants a gun, they'll just go out and buy one from any one of a number of dealers and/or "friends" while responsible citizens have to wait a LOOOONG time to get a firearm/carry permit;Not talking about rifles and shotguns.

So roughly 40 or less states ALLOW mace but for some reason its DANGEOUS and TOTALLY ILLEGAL to use mace in New York State for self-defense.

Of course, New York State does NOT allow individuals to own TASERS like the ones you see on those infomertials.

Yes. I can easily see the potential for abusing mace and tasers and other "toys," but if they're illegal for "good reasons" in New York and nine other states, make them illegal on a FEDERAL level or make them legal in ALL states.

How many rapes, murders, abductions and other crimes MAY have been prevented if the victims carried non-lethal protection (duh, yes, the assaliant can grab your weapon and use it against you but more people would be saved than harmed, statistically).

Its easier to ask for forgiveness then permission. I have a great umbrella if ya know what I mean.

Unregistered
    A few years ago, I was taking the Metro-Rail to jury duty. Periodically, due to spinal injuries, I need the aid of a cane. So, there I was, sitting in my seat, wearing sunglasses , holding my cane and minding my own business, when a thuggish looking character gets on, scans the car and plants himself across from me.

After a while, I realized that it was no coincidence that this guy was watching me like a hawk. Because I wasn't looking around, was holding a cane and wearing sunglasses, this guy was probably under the impression that I was blind. Needless to say, if this were true, I'd have been an easy target for a mugging.

The whole idea of this, actually excited me. I was going to teach my potential mugger a lesson he'd never forget. Being the bonehead I am, I eventually attempted to sneak a peak at my watch and he caught me doing so. The look of disgust on this guys face was priceless. His jaw nearly hit the floor and he stormed off at the next stop.

Since that incident, I've attempted to set-up other potential muggers, but have yet to find a target.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information