Thread: Believe me--there was a time.....

Wink Believe me--there was a time.....

....when I would have been tempted! But I'm overjoyed I didn't (if I could've). But in this man's case, I hope he gets help with his overwhelming predicament, through his action.

"Father leaves nine children at Nebraska hospital

Parents are abandoning teenagers at Nebraska hospitals, in a case of a well intentioned law inspiring unintended results.

Over the last two weeks, moms or dads have dropped off seven teens at hospitals in the Cornhusker state, indicating they didn’t want to care for them any more.

“They were tired of their parenting role,” according to Todd Landry of Nebraska’s Department of Human and Human Services, quoted in USA Today.

Under a newly implemented law, Nebraska is the only state in the nation to allow parents to leave children of any age at hospitals and request they be taken care of, USA Today notes. So-called “safe haven laws” in other states were designed to protect babies and infants from parental abandonment...."

more at:

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...-leaves-n.html

Quote Originally Posted by speaker
    ....when I would have been tempted! But I'm overjoyed I didn't (if I could've). But in this man's case, I hope he gets help with his overwhelming predicament, through his action.

"Father leaves nine children at Nebraska hospital

Parents are abandoning teenagers at Nebraska hospitals, in a case of a well intentioned law inspiring unintended results.

Over the last two weeks, moms or dads have dropped off seven teens at hospitals in the Cornhusker state, indicating they didn’t want to care for them any more.

“They were tired of their parenting role,” according to Todd Landry of Nebraska’s Department of Human and Human Services, quoted in USA Today.

Under a newly implemented law, Nebraska is the only state in the nation to allow parents to leave children of any age at hospitals and request they be taken care of, USA Today notes. So-called “safe haven laws” in other states were designed to protect babies and infants from parental abandonment...."

more at:

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...-leaves-n.html

It is sad that the only animal that can choose not to procreate does such a crappy job exercising good judgment.

That's ok in NY we'll reward you for that!!

But man is not the only mammal that can choose not to procreate. Animals have their own forms of birth control, and even abortion when the circumstances seem to call for it.

But this happened in Nebraska.

What is sad are people who wont look at this from the positive side. He lost his spouse, jobs, rental home, etc. Giving the children to the state was the most responsible thing he could probably do as a parent. In saying that, I am assuming that there were no other family relatives willing to help take any of the children.

And all 50 States have no problem whatsoever interfering with childrens lives in cases of divorce and seperation. They have all sorts of laws aimed at protecting the child's welfare up to the age of 21 in some circumstances. Why should the death of a spouse make it any different?

I understand that the "spirit" and intent of this law was in helping infants and toddlers and their unwilling mothers. But for whatever rason, they left open the possibility for it to also include fathers.

But man is not the only mammal that can choose not to procreate. Animals have their own forms of birth control, and even abortion when the circumstances seem to call for it.

Yes, when some species exceed the carrying capacity of the land, or when conditions do not favor survival of the offspring some animals become infertile.

Too bad we are not intelligent enough to do the same thing

God certaintly underestimated our ability to reproduce......big mistake there IMHO.

No, I doubt God has underestimated anything .. the fat lady has not sung yet!

Unregistered
    maybe we should implement a population control policy similar to that of the Chinese in order to avoid issues such as this.

Quote Originally Posted by RedVette
    No, I doubt God has underestimated anything .. the fat lady has not sung yet!

Go to Calcutta, tell me if he was right on there,

Watch how fast they change the law in Nebraska
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

Can't you imagine the look on their faces at that hospital?

But the desperation of this father! And those poor kids! I hope he gets help and he can raise those kids himself.

9 kids in 17 years ranging from 1-17 and the mother died 1 1/2 years ago? The guy is 34 years old - can you even imagine being 34 years old with 9 children??????????? I don't think he ever had time to grow up himself. Seems to me he was with his mate, wife whatever since the age of 17 - had nine kids and lost her tragically - I think that gives a little room for us to have a second thought on this.

Was it right? well, honestly if he was a danger to the kids and could snap or something than yeah, he did the right thing. This doesn't sound to me like someone who just didn't want to do it anymore, more like someone who couldn't do it anymore - sad really......

I have three and find it enormously hard to juggle everything.

While we might not like the actions of some irresponsible parents, can we agree that this law might be a good thing? for the kids involved? If they have crappy parents that don't care - maybe they need some other type of intervention?? I don't really know the answer here....
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

This proves my point. The Liberals created this throwaway society.And lets talk about the Feminist and their contribution. Now this is another reason I hate school taxes,to many rabbitts . I quit I dont care.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by CAugust
    This doesn't sound to me like someone who just didn't want to do it anymore, more like someone who couldn't do it anymore - sad really......
    All he had to do was move to NYS. With nine kids, and our social services programs, he would have racked-up.

and ours are guys wearing shirts made of nylon.....

Thread Information