Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smokes Creek-Flood Insurance

Smokes Creek-Flood Insurance

Will Lackawanna ever be free of the mandatory "community participation" in FEMA's flood insurance program?

I located this from 12/4/06 in the council meeting minutes, but I haven't found anything more about it (unless I missed it).
    http://www.ci.lackawanna.ny.us/minutes/120406.htm
    scroll down to this heading: Hazard Mitigation Funds for Smokes Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by tiredofbs
    Will Lackawanna ever be free of the mandatory "community participation" in FEMA's flood insurance program?

I located this from 12/4/06 in the council meeting minutes, but I haven't found anything more about it (unless I missed it).
    http://www.ci.lackawanna.ny.us/minutes/120406.htm
    scroll down to this heading: Hazard Mitigation Funds for Smokes Creek.

You guys don't have a problem with flooding?
    The water gets pretty darn close to my house. I don't like flood insurance, and to be honest, I doubt I'll ever collect (because your basement could fill up and ruin everything and you won't get a dime), but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Smokes Creek-Flood Insurance

Thanks for the bite of info. I have been having a problem near my house with the "new" creek the city allowed the school to make. Hopefully this can help.

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd
    You guys don't have a problem with flooding?
    The water gets pretty darn close to my house. I don't like flood insurance, and to be honest, I doubt I'll ever collect (because your basement could fill up and ruin everything and you won't get a dime), but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    You may have flooding problems, but in 2nd ward, Roland, Modern, Warsaw, Elkhart, Kirby (to mention a few) there is NOT a flooding problem and hasn't been in many, many years. It's very expensive, approximately $500/yr. for $50,000 coverage, which by the way, unless your house floats down the street, you will never "collect". I explored this with a few insurance agents. It does not cover flooding in your basement, damage to water tanks, furnances, etc.

It is meant for serious flooding areas like New Orleans (katrina) for example. The insurance is through the Federal government. They send the money where it is needed. I have no problem helping my fellow man, however that responsibility should not fall on only a few.

The insurance is contributing to the destruction of the economy in the 2nd ward. Homes aren't selling and this is only making matters worse. When a potential buyer finds out how expensive the insurance is they run the other way. I've seen it happen. Combine the flood insurance and hazard insurance costs and ... YIKES!, it's too much money. Most 2nd ward citizens are of modest income.

Our local government has control over whether the community participates.
    "Community participation in the NFIP is voluntary (although some States require NFIP participation as part of their floodplain management program). Each identified flood-prone community must assess its flood hazard and determine whether flood insurance and floodplain management would benefit the community's residents and economy."

any idea what department would be handling the federal monies when it comes into the City of Lackwawanna?

I contacted City Hall regarding the flood insurance, and was told that my house was in a flood zone due to the "100 year flood". I also was told that I could hire an engineer, surveyor, etc. if I wanted to try to challenge it.

I just went to my insurance company and lowered the insurance to as low as I could, which lowered my payment considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by Iknow
    any idea what department would be handling the federal monies when it comes into the City of Lackwawanna?
    I'd bet Mayor PPP (PickPocket Polanski) has his fingers on it. I'm sure it's not going into any floodplain management program. It's just another way for out local government to swindle us.

Quote Originally Posted by Same Old, Same Old
    I contacted City Hall regarding the flood insurance, and was told that my house was in a flood zone due to the "100 year flood". I also was told that I could hire an engineer, surveyor, etc. if I wanted to try to challenge it.

I just went to my insurance company and lowered the insurance to as low as I could, which lowered my payment considerably.
    Did they explain this "100 year flood" deal? It means that the body of water has the potential to flood every 100 years.

It's true that you could hire a surveyor, which can be costly. However, it would be beneficial to the community for the City to reevaluate the flood zones.

"Community participation in the NFIP is voluntary (although some States require NFIP participation as part of their floodplain management program). Each identified flood-prone community must assess its flood hazard and determine whether flood insurance and floodplain management would benefit the community's residents and economy."

I understand what the 100 year flood is and the last time Smokes Creek flooded near me was many, many moons ago.

Maybe someone should contact Higgins. I see that he assisted in the removal of a lot of houses from a flood zone in South Buffalo.

Thumbs up Kozub. Are you aware?

I believe your present concilman and Kozub, the County legislator (previous concilman) http://www.erie.gov/legislature/district01/index.asp have been working on this issue.

Are you aware of this?

Corps

I understand what the 100 year flood is and the last time Smokes Creek flooded near me was many, many moons ago.

Maybe someone should contact Higgins. I see that he assisted in the removal of a lot of houses from a flood zone in South Buffalo.
    There was a project where the Corps of engineers cleared out Smokes creek around 30+ years ago. In the many years I lived there, the creek never even got close to flooding/overflowing its banks, yet I too paid FEMA flood insurance.
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Quote Originally Posted by LaNdReW
    There was a project where the Corps of engineers cleared out Smokes creek around 30+ years ago. In the many years I lived there, the creek never even got close to flooding/overflowing its banks, yet I too paid FEMA flood insurance.
    Exactly! So, why didn't the city reevaluate the flood zones? The kickback to the city must be significant.

Quote Originally Posted by zanna vaida
    I believe your present concilman and Kozub, the County legislator (previous concilman) http://www.erie.gov/legislature/district01/index.asp have been working on this issue.

Are you aware of this?
    I'm aware that it is politics. Daniel Kozup will do and say whatever it takes to work his way up the political ladder.

When Daniel Kozub was 2nd ward councilman, I discussed the flood insurance issue with him. He told me that if the creek doesn't flood in 100 years then we can get out of the "participation". That is untrue.

http://www.fema.gov/faq/faqDetails.d...nit&faqId=1014

Thumbs up Surprised election

I was surprised people elected him.

You're out of luck. If you don't live in South Buffalo, Higgins doesn't know you exist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information