Thread: Boardwalk, pier eyed for Erie Basin Marina

Boardwalk, pier eyed for Erie Basin Marina

Waterfront enthusiasts will have a new way to enjoy the downtown shoreline next year when a boardwalk and improved observation pier are built at Erie Basin Marina.

The Common Council is expected to approve plans today to hire a consultant to design a $750,000 project near the marina's observation tower.

One plan calls for upgrading a rocky platform below the tower where visitors often stand to savor commanding views of the shoreline.

"The pier is starting to erode," said city Public Works Commissioner Steven J. Stepniak.

"We want to make it more user-friendly and add to the ambience."
    The most ambitious component of the project will involve building a 300-foot-long boardwalk that will connect the area around the observation tower with Erie Basin Marina Beach, which opened in late May. No swimming is allowed at the passive beach just south of the tower, but people can sunbathe, frolick in the sand and play volleyball.

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/440511.html
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

I hope this comes to be...... It would be great!!!!
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    No swimming is allowed at the passive beach just south of the tower, but people can sunbathe, frolick in the sand and play volleyball.

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/440511.html
    Play volleyball?
    The beach is 10' x 20'! Not much room for a "frolick". But maybe you could. I haven't frolicked in years.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Ha! I wonder what the consequences are for hitting the ball into the water and retreiving it? Bet ya its a felony!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Why not fix the crumbling infrasture around buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Maybe they figure for a 750k investment at erie basin, that will attract more people they can bust for swimming, littering, intoxication, not wearing helmets or seatbelts, and rolling through stop signs. And their investment will double in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    In most situations I would ask the same thing, but I think spending money on the waterfront for certain projects shows a small amount of progressiveness. A few smaller investments like that can reap benefits that can't be tallied up in dollars and cents. Get people downtown any way you can and it can have a positive effect on economic development.

every solution starts in my pocket

sure save the area by fixing the water front, whats a half a billion more going to hurt. and build a nice big bait shop while we are at it. spend spend spend. we have been solving our problems this way for fifty years and raising taxes to cover the cost. did anyone notice that half the tax payers have left the area. that means the other half have to pay twice as much just to cover our old debts. why make more do you want everyone else to leave. get the hint cut taxes and step out of the way so the private sector can fix thing up. quit spending my money
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob
    sure save the area by fixing the water front, whats a half a billion more going to hurt. and build a nice big bait shop while we are at it. spend spend spend. we have been solving our problems this way for fifty years and raising taxes to cover the cost. did anyone notice that half the tax payers have left the area. that means the other half have to pay twice as much just to cover our old debts. why make more do you want everyone else to leave. get the hint cut taxes and step out of the way so the private sector can fix thing up. quit spending my money
    You're probably right... even though it's COB money, I'm sure the rest of the area taxpayers will get tapped somehow. I have to admit, it was nice being cavalier thinking it was someone else's money!

where do they get there money. most of their budget for everything including schools comes from Albany. the small percentage the cob collects should pay all the loans back not start new projects
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by citymouse
    Play volleyball?
    The beach is 10' x 20'! Not much room for a "frolick". But maybe you could. I haven't frolicked in years.
    You can bring those cigars you bragged about before and we can do the old guy thing and sit and watch the pretty young things frollick
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Thread Information