Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 2009 Town Budget

http://cgis.jpost.com/Blogs/rosner/e...helps_obama_re

Whose President is he? Asked the NYT earlier this week:

The standard line from his advisers would naturally be that he's the president of all Americans. But it rarely works out that simply.

Question Any Information?

Has anyone heard how the final budget turned out? I'm sure it wasn't Wally's budget that got approved. I've heard some rumors but don't have any confirmed facts about what actually happened. Was any one there?

I just don't understand...

Quote Originally Posted by snowwhite View Post
    Has anyone heard how the final budget turned out? I'm sure it wasn't Wally's budget that got approved. I've heard some rumors but don't have any confirmed facts about what actually happened. Was any one there?
    How WP's budget was so soundly rejected by ALL board members, or how Bove just had the replacement printed, bound, and ready to be voted on. Tell me, how does one member get away with nearly publicly vilifying the Town Supervisor and impugn his intelligence so cavfalierily? Calling Wally's proposed budget "a complete and utter embarrassment" (second hand quote: correct if necessary)- does she think he created it in a vacuum? What about the experts whose input he considered? Personally, I think its all a sham and every one of them should be replaced at the next election! They are an embarrassment- and not one of them without the backbone to stand up to the heat.

Tell me how, after all the discussion in town, did the Youth Director's salary not only remain the same for his near part-time but he was given (or revived) a funded Deputy Director's position? How this must rankle the former Deputy Youth Bureau Director, whose position was "eliminated"!!! And who is this new town employee, because it doesn't sound like an Americorps position- it cannot be. Is this person a town resident- they had better be! Oh, and what is the description and duties of this position? Is there any requirements for the job?

The hardest part of following the town's business is the inability to weight in in any meaningful way in which can/will effect decisions with this town board. You talk with them on one hand and they make a complete turn around with the other!

No input from the residents

It seems that Bove and Graber don't care about the residents and what they want. When they decide to do something, then the hell with the residents! People have been upset with ML's salary all year, but did they take that into consideration when they drafted a new budget? Of course not! Protect your good buddy, ML. What does this man have over these people that they keep giving him everything he wants?! It makes you wonder. I hope the taxpayers remember who supported ML when it comes time for their re-election. I know I won't be voting for them. And I wasn't in favor of downsizing but if it means getting those two off the board, then lets go for it!

It seems that Bove and Graber don't care about the residents and what they want. When they decide to do something, then the hell with the residents! People have been upset with ML's salary all year, but did they take that into consideration when they drafted a new budget? Of course not! Protect your good buddy, ML. What does this man have over these people that they keep giving him everything he wants?! It makes you wonder. I hope the taxpayers remember who supported ML when it comes time for their re-election. I know I won't be voting for them. And I wasn't in favor of downsizing but if it means getting those two off the board, then lets go for it!
    What do you mean no public input? Did you go and speak at the public hearing?

Bove and Graber are only two votes which is not sufficient to pass anything much less a budget.

Lastly the Town Supervisor proposed the budget as required under Town Law and even in his proposal the position currently occupied by ML was funded (mind you he gets an extra $5k+ for being budget officer in addition to his salary as TS).
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    What do you mean no public input? Did you go and speak at the public hearing?

Bove and Graber are only two votes which is not sufficient to pass anything much less a budget.

Lastly the Town Supervisor proposed the budget as required under Town Law and even in his proposal the position currently occupied by ML was funded (mind you he gets an extra $5k+ for being budget officer in addition to his salary as TS).
    Bove and Graber may be only two votes but everyone knows that Clarke does what Bove does. He has no opinion of his own. And Wally can only fight so many battles and I'm sure he didn't want ML to get that salary but he knew he didn't have a majority vote, so he didn't fight it. And yes, I did speak out about the budget, but if you were at the last two meetings (one at the senior center and the night of the vote to approve the new budget) then you would know that the public had no right to voice their opinions.

Bove and Graber may be only two votes but everyone knows that Clarke does what Bove does. He has no opinion of his own. And Wally can only fight so many battles and I'm sure he didn't want ML to get that salary but he knew he didn't have a majority vote, so he didn't fight it. And yes, I did speak out about the budget, but if you were at the last two meetings (one at the senior center and the night of the vote to approve the new budget) then you would know that the public had no right to voice their opinions.

That is because the public hearing on the budget was October 29, 2008, and not at the last two meetings. (See http://www.westseneca.net/bdmin08/2009budget.html )
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

The editorial in the Bee

That is because the public hearing on the budget was October 29, 2008, and not at the last two meetings. (See http://www.westseneca.net/bdmin08/2009budget.html )
    If you happen to read the editorial in this week's Bee, you will see that the editor agrees with me about the budget being bulldozed through. Also, I read the today's Buffalo News about the remark Bove made about Wally's Budget and the remark about slum lords. I never realized what a nasty person she is. She got her way with the amendments to the bduget, but she's not happy until she gives Wally a nasty dig. I am so sorry I helped get her elected to the Town Board. Believe me, it won't happen again.

What bothers me most about Tina is how she continues to placate her town minions (flunkies), while knowing better. Politically speaking, if she had prudence, she could have gone far.
    A remark should only hurt within it's proportion of what is true.

If you happen to read the editorial in this week's Bee, you will see that the editor agrees with me about the budget being bulldozed through. Also, I read the today's Buffalo News about the remark Bove made about Wally's Budget and the remark about slum lords. I never realized what a nasty person she is. She got her way with the amendments to the budget, but she's not happy until she gives Wally a nasty dig. I am so sorry I helped get her elected to the Town Board. Believe me, it won't happen again.
    Whether you like the process or not that is the process for all town, village, city and county budgets and very rarely there may be public hearings on discrete portions of the State budget at the discretion of the State Legislature.

Each of our town representatives took action on the tentative budget that was proposed by the Supervisor and amended the budget according to each of their judgments. I cannot say that the peoples voice were completely ignored. Mr. Piotrowski submitted a tentative budget that was much more detailed than the prior ones and I am sure that he will take the input from those that spoke into consideration in the next one he submits. There were a lot of topics discussed at the public hearing and to varying extent they were taken into consideration. We collectively or individually may be disappointed about the priority or weight given on various issues, but this will always be in any budget. Simply you cannot please everyone all the time.

(mind you he [Piotrowski] gets an extra $5k+ for being budget officer in addition to his salary as TS).
    Aparently not any longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by WSBEE Editorial
    At a time when most residents are worried about simply keeping their private sector job, they should not be footing the bill for raises for town employees. In fact, we give the board credit for slashing the $5,575 stipend the supervisor typically receives for acting as the budget director- this is part of his job.
    Quote Originally Posted by WSBEE, Town Tax Rate article
    Piotrowski noted the board members decreased his salary as budget director...He said the elected officials anticipate a certain salary and benefits when they run for office...

Simply you cannot please everyone all the time.
    Perhaps someone might enlighten me. The WSBee list the budget for 2009 as being a total of 32.9 million dollars. Later in Ms. Howell's article there is mentioned total revenues are expected to be 10.71 million dollars (whatever they are), and total property taxes are expected to be 12 million dollars. If you add 12 plus 10.71 together you are at 22.71 million which is about ten million dollars short.
    What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    Perhaps someone might enlighten me. The WSBee list the budget for 2009 as being a total of 32.9 million dollars. Later in Ms. Howell's article there is mentioned total revenues are expected to be 10.71 million dollars (whatever they are), and total property taxes are expected to be 12 million dollars. If you add 12 plus 10.71 together you are at 22.71 million which is about ten million dollars short.
    What am I missing?
    AmeriCorps debt.

Quote Originally Posted by MERL J View Post
    AmeriCorps debt.
    Such a jokster.
    Perhaps the numbers are wrong. I would imagine more than 12 million is collected from property taxes/yr. And shouldn't TOTAL Revenues=Other Revenues+Property taxes. Of course what whould Other Revenues consist of? Parking tickets? Anyway, the numbers don't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    What am I missing?
    I was not at the meeting that this was voted on, but it appears that those are the figures for just the General Fund.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread Information