Thread: Bill O'Reilly's book kills history - Ford's Theater book store refuses to sell it

Bill O'Reilly's book kills history - Ford's Theater book store refuses to sell it

Ford's Theatre, citing errors, refuses to carry Bill O'Reilly's 'Killing Lincoln'

“Killing Lincoln” contains numerous factual errors and no documentation or footnotes, according to a study conducted by Rae Emerson, the deputy superintendent of Ford’s Theatre National Historic Site who recommended the book not be sold at Ford’s Theatre.

O’Reilly and his co-author Martin Dugard call “Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination That Changed America Forever,” published by Henry Holt, “an unsanitized and uncompromising … no spin American story.”

According to several historians, they should have added “un-fact checked.”

Among them are several mentions of the Oval Office, including scenes in which Lincoln is placed there. The Oval Office wasn’t built until 1909, during the Taft administration.

But that’s just peanuts, Mr. Steers told The Washington Post in a “Political Bookworm” column.

“What most irks Steers is the book’s portrait of conspirator Mary Surratt,” writes the Post. “O’Reilly and Dugard write that when she wasn’t on trial, she had to wear a padded hood that disfigured her and made her claustrophobic; that she was 'sick and trapped' in a cell that was 'barely hospitable' aboard the monitor Montauk; and that she had 'a haunted, bloated appearance' because of the experience.”

Replies Steers, “None of this is true. Mary Surratt was never shackled or hooded at any time. She was never imprisoned aboard the Montauk.... This mischaracterization of Mary Surratt is unfortunate, and helps to perpetuate the myth of her innocence and her brutal treatment at the hands of the Federal government.”

On his show tonight, O'Reily had a statement from someone at the Ford Theatre, saying that they actually are, and have been, selling it for several weeks.

This is a very important topic, and one that deserves all of our attention. It's a national security issue for christ's sake.

Does anyone know if Lincoln was killed by a dog, or a dog lover perhaps?

Does anyone know if Lincoln was killed by a dog, or a dog lover perhaps?
    Considering Lincoln was the worst doggone president we ever had, I'd say it was a cat person.
    Most of all I like bulldozers and dirt

Who cares ?
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    On his show tonight, O'Reily had a statement from someone at the Ford Theatre, saying that they actually are, and have been, selling it for several weeks.
    I saw that same show. I think there were nine errors and four were typographical errors. Last night Mr. O'Reilly said the errors have been corrected.
    With that said ... I have to ask ... Whose history do you believe? I have read a series about Thomas Jefferson, George Washington and Benjamin Franklin written by Andrew M Allison and Jay A Parry. These authors used written documents containing quotes from Jefferson, Washington and Franklin. I found these books to be highly informative from both a biographical and constitutional perspective.
    I haven't read Mr. O'Reilly's book. I'll wait until I see it at a garage sale or something and make my decision then.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by nickelcityhomes View Post
    Considering Lincoln was the worst doggone president we ever had, I'd say it was a cat person.
    Very funny ! :-)
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by mesue View Post
    Whose history do you believe?
    We know when the Oval Office was built - it isn't debatable.

Thread Information