Thread: Brown addressing City Real Estate Disaster?

Unregistered

Brown addressing City Real Estate Disaster?

This is indeed good news! Will Byron Brown indeed finally do the right thing?

The head of the real estate office has been there for years & has been an absolute disaster. He is part of a "connected" real estate family so has not been held accountable for decades as the city inventory of abandoned properties has mushroomed out of control . . . . but being old & forgetful I cannot recall his name!

Help??!! His name please?

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/413762.html

Mayor Brown threatens firings over unresponsive real estate office
    By Brian Meyer, Updated: 08/13/08 11:56 AM

Mayor Byron W. Brown is threatening to fire staff in Buffalo's real estate division unless the office becomes more responsive to outside inquiries.

Brown was dismayed to receive a letter from a Cattaraugus County man who wants to buy and renovate a home in Buffalo. The man made repeated attempts to contact city real estate officials, but no one got back to him.

City officials said they've received frequent complaints about the real estate office, despite the fact that an additional staffer was hired to help improve operations.

The mayor called the problems "absolutely, positively unacceptable," and he gave an ultimatum during today's meeting of the CitiStat accountability panel. Brown told employees the city is serious about delivering results, and the real estate office must change its ways.

"If it doesn't change immediately, there will be more changes made in this department," said Brown. "If it doesn't change, personnel will change."

First Deputy Mayor Steven M. Casey added that it's disturbing there have been constant concerns raised about the city's real estate unit.

Brian Reilly, the city's new economic development chief, responded that it's clear the real estate division must "do better." Reilly said one solution might involve using a soon-to-be-unveiled 311 non-emergency calling system to help field real estate inquiries.

Brown and other key cabinet members also reviewed ongoing efforts to revitalize certain neighborhoods. The administration has been criticized for employing what some have branded a "demolition-only" strategy. City development officials tried to rebut these claims today as they outlined plans that will include the rehabilitation of hundreds of structures throughout the city.

bmeyer@buffnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by kernwatch
    Hannon, John

I know this because, I'm the Pitts
    Last edited by CSense; August 13th, 2008 at 01:18 PM.

Unregistered

Thank you, Jimmie!

So glad to know that sometimes you tell easily documented truth!!!

But being a younger man, who turned into the taxpayer-funded "poverty industry" developer I always predicted you would be should you leave 'politics', I must warn you.

Do not get old!

BTW, did you ever reach former Masiello All-NIGHT-COP Roscoe Henderson? What did he say about my many meetings with him on Penhurst?

BTW, did you ever reach former Masiello All-NIGHT-COP Roscoe Henderson? What did he say about my many meetings with him on Penhurst?
    Sorry, Roscoe is one tough brother to catch. However, I shall continue to try and connect with the young peace officer. I hope you don't feel that you are being bamboozled, I have a reputation to uphold young man (because you do not get old) and a notorious will to seek the truth, much like yourself (except in a legal and appropriate manner).

catch you around the hoops (well at least if you're in town)

Working in the housing arena for almost 7 years now I have heard my fair share of the real estate divisions issues. With over 8k city owned properties we need to do something quick...The auction is around the corner and Im quite sure that number will swell to above 10K.
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

I don't believe the COB wants to be in the real estate renting business but get "stuck" with these broken down properties because they have "NEGATIVE" value & the owners run away from them , thus the city gets them thrown at them..........I know of a few very hard workers in that office & they're OVER-WHELMED with the shear volume of work (also one or two "slackers") , & I also believe that their "leader" is not the answer.............now if these buildings were not "functionally obsolete" , the city would be happy to own & manage & sell them & thus would make a profit............
    Nothing gold can stay...............

www.onlinebuffalo.com

Is he, or is he throwing Hannon under the bus?

This is indeed good news! Will Byron Brown indeed finally do the right thing?

The head of the real estate office has been there for years & has been an absolute disaster. He is part of a "connected" real estate family so has not been held accountable for decades as the city inventory of abandoned properties has mushroomed out of control . . . . but being old & forgetful I cannot recall his name!

+++

Or is this a wider smokescreen to cover the fiasco created by the current administration, using the real estate division, in the LaNova deal? Just one look at that whole mess and one sees that the 2nd floor of City Hall has complete control over Hannon and the Real Estate Division... make no mistake about it!

The real estate division is a disaster unto themselves. I've made multiple attempts to purchase city owned properties in the fruit belt. Not one phone call has ever been returned. At one point I drove to city hall to get some answers, but the response from the secretary was that everyone was at lunch (2:30 in the afternoon). Leave your number and go procreate with yourself is the standard response. There comes a point where it just isn't worth your time to deal with these jackalopes anymore. It's obvious to any small-mid sized investor that city property is reserved for those who are able to make sizable political contributions. In the meantime, all of the properties can go to hell.

In the grand scheme of things, the RE department is just a symptom of a massive problem. I'm not surprised that Bobbie Brown used the RE division leader as a scapegoat for the continual failed polices in the city. It didn't start with Bobbie, but he knows the lay of the land and is more than happy to perpetuate the same policies that have rendered the east side a prairie. The upper-west and lower-west sides are well on their way to joining the land of the tumbleweed if this keeps up.
    Most of all I like bulldozers and dirt

Unregistered

UPDATE: finally, real change?

Interestingly, long time City real estate "boss" john Hannon still has not been mentioned by name. Perhaps he did not return Brian Meyer's phone call?

Hannon surely is eligible to retire, which perhaps could be helped along is as many concerned citizens as possible contact the Mayor, Councilpersons & Brian Reilly. A real change of leadership in a long disfunctional office would signal that honest reform is finally occurring.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/414389.html

BUFFALO
    Changes aim to stimulate purchasing of real estate

By Brian Meyer, Updated: 08/14/08 8:50 AM

New steps will be taken to encourage people to buy real estate in Buffalo, city economic developers said Wednesday.

One effort will involve a mass mailing to people who own properties next to vacant lots that will be sold at a city foreclosure auction in October. Some neighborhoods qualify for “urban homesteading,” allowing property owners to expand their yards by purchasing parcels for $1.

Brian A. Reilly, the city’s new economic development commissioner, also announced a new initiative that will see the city contact block clubs to get input on which properties that are scheduled to go on the auction block should be acquired by the city and demolished.

“The block clubs know their blocks better than anyone else,” he said.

Reilly also promised to find ways to make the city’s Real Estate Division more responsive to people interested in buying city-owned properties. Buffalo is the largest landowner in the city.

Mayor Byron W. Brown is threatening to fire staff in the real estate office if improvements aren’t made. Brown was dismayed to receive a letter from a Cattaraugus County man who wants to buy and renovate a home in Buffalo. The man said he made repeated attempts to contact city real estate officials, but no one got back to him.

City officials said they’ve received frequent complaints about the real estate office, despite the fact that an additional staffer was hired to help improve operations.

The mayor called the problems “absolutely, positively unacceptable,” and he gave an ultimatum during Wednesday’s meeting of the CitiStat accountability panel. Brown told employees that the city is serious about delivering results and that the real estate office must change its ways.

“If it doesn’t change immediately, there will be more changes made in this department,” Brown said. “If it doesn’t change, personnel will change.”

First Deputy Mayor Steven M. Casey said there have been constant concerns raised about the real estate unit.

Reilly said it is clear the Real Estate Division must “do better.” He said one solution might involve using a soon-to-be-unveiled 311 non-emergency calling system to help field real estate inquiries.

Brown and other key Cabinet members discussed ongoing efforts to revitalize certain neighborhoods. The administration has been criticized for employing what some have branded a “demolition-only” strategy. City development officials tried to rebut these claims as they outlined plans that will include the rehabilitation of 296 units throughout the city next year.

Carla Kosmerl, a deputy commissioner for neighborhood development, added that the city is doing things to make it easier for developers to invest in it. Kosmerl said “internal summits” are being held where developers are invited to attend a meeting with a team of city officials who can address a variety of issues in a single sitting.

“We’re trying to make it easier every day to do business in the City of Buffalo,” Kosmerl said.

bmeyer@buffnews.com

Interestingly, long time City real estate "boss" john Hannon still has not been mentioned by name. Perhaps he did not return Brian Meyer's phone call?

Hannon surely is eligible to retire, which perhaps could be helped along is as many concerned citizens as possible contact the Mayor, Councilpersons & Brian Reilly. A real change of leadership in a long disfunctional office would signal that honest reform is finally occurring.

They didn't mention his name because he is Brian Higgins' brother in law. And we all know Byron needs Higgins in his back pocket to win another election.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill
    They didn't mention his name because he is Brian Higgins' brother in law. And we all know Byron needs Higgins in his back pocket to win another election.
    BINGO , man henry did you ever hit the nail on the head & also hit that one out of the park !! Good for you for posting the facts !!!!!!!!!!!
    Nothing gold can stay...............

www.onlinebuffalo.com

Quote Originally Posted by winfield31
    BINGO , man henry did you ever hit the nail on the head & also hit that one out of the park !! Good for you for posting the facts !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Win. still amazing to see it still hasn't been brought up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill
    Thanks Win. still amazing to see it still hasn't been brought up yet.
    I'm wondering if the honeymoon is over between the two groups. I mean in the most important show of strength by Brown/Casey, Higgins is supporting Hoyt over Kavanaugh. Casey is not one for dissension in the ranks, so I wonder if this could be a shot across the bow by the dynamic duo (Brown/Casey)?

Not saying that Brown would actually fire John Hannon, that would almost be suicidal (I would love to see it) but to have him lay low during the campaign.

Thread Information