Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Machine Won...but what did they win???

Cool Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by cath829 View Post
    After reading the case I see that it is for the City of Buffalo Common Council seat and negating his petitions for that race, not a mayoral race in the City of Lackawanna. I also see where it states the City of Buffalo's residency law which I believe is part of their municipal code/charter.

I know from reading the Lackawanna Charter/Code it is not specific as to the length of time one must "reside" in the City when deciding on running for mayor. I also know that when someone new is "hired", different from "elected", they have six months to move into the city. The code does show that every employee must reside in the City during their term of employment:

CHAPTER 5 ADMINISTRATION OF GOVERNMENT

ARTICLE IV Officers and Employees (§ 5-38 — § 5-50)
    § 5-38 Residence requirements.

A. Unless otherwise provided by law, it shall be the duty of each officer and employee of the City during the period of his or her employment by the City, to maintain his or her residence and dwelling within the corporate limits of the City.

B. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any employee during a leave of absence duly granted. Failure to comply with the provisions of this section shall constitute misconduct and shall be cause for removal in the manner provided by law.

ARTICLE VI Residency Requirements (§ 31-15 — § 31-21)

[Adopted 12-30-1987 by L.L. No. 1-1988 (Ch. 102 of the 1987 Code)]

§ 31-15 Policy and purpose.

The legislative body recognizes that emergency work situations arise which require employees of the City of Lackawanna to be near their place of employment and to assume the continuation of public services to protect health, safety, and general welfare of the people. Through the adoption of this article, the City Council makes a legislative determination that those who are residents of the City take a greater interest in promoting the public safety and health in the future of this community than do nonresidents whose families reside in areas unaffected by City services. The City Council further declares that such a quality is desirable for its employees. The legislative body considers that residency by its employees and officers within a community will assure continuation of essential public services. The City Council determines that the public need is sufficient to require that employees hired or promoted after the effective date of this article be residents of the City.

§ 31-16 Definitions.

For the purposes of this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
    RESIDENCY The actual principal domicile of an individual, where he or she normally sleeps and maintains usual personal and household effects.

§ 31-17 Residency for new employees. Except as otherwise provided by law, the City Council hereby establishes a residency requirement for all prospective employees of the community. Every person initially employed by the City of Lackawanna on or after the effective date hereof shall, as a qualification of employment, become a resident of the City of Lackawanna within six months of the date of initial service for the City. During the time of service of such employees, no individual shall cease to be a resident of the City.

§ 31-18 Residency upon promotion. All employees promoted by the City of Lackawanna after the effective date hereof shall be, or within one year of such promotion become, a resident of the City of Lackawanna.

§ 31-19 Distribution and posting of provisions. A copy of this article shall be provided to all employees upon initial appointment or upon promotion. However, the failure of the employer to do so shall not affect the applicability of this article to any employee appointed or promoted after its effective date. A copy of this article shall also be posted on all notice boards normally used by the employer for employee communications.

§ 31-20 Breach of residency requirement.
    Should it be alleged that an employee is not in compliance with § 31-17 or 31-18 of this article, as the case may be, the employee's department or division head, having knowledge of or upon becoming aware of the allegation, shall provide the employee 14 calendar days in which to respond. Where there is a failure to respond or where a response is not, in the judgment of the employee's department or division head, sufficient to satisfy the requirements of this article, the department or division head shall designate an officer or board to set a hearing date to hear the charge of nonresidency and to make a record of the hearing. An employee establishing residency to the satisfaction of the employee's department or division head prior to the hearing date shall result in a cancellation of the hearing authorized by this section. The employee shall be sent a notice of the hearing date at least 15 days prior to the hearing. The hearing record and the determination of the hearing officer or board conducting the hearing as to whether the employee is a nonresident in violation of this article shall be referred to the department head for his/her review and decision. Should the department head decide that the employee is a nonresident in violation of this article, the employee shall be deemed to have voluntarily resigned from employment. Upon reestablishing residency, an individual having so resigned may apply for reinstatement to his or her former position and shall be reinstated if the position is vacant.

§ 31-21 Waiver of requirements.
    A.In the event that the City Council determines that it is in the best interest of the public employer to do so, the provisions of § 31-17 or 31-18 may be waived by the Council with respect to an incumbent or incumbents with the following standards:

(1) Lack of applicants. The requirement of residency may be waived in those instances where the employer has difficulty hiring or promoting the most qualified person because of the residency requirement.

(2)Necessity for nonresidency. The requirement of residency may be waived in those instances where it is determined that residency is not in the best interests of the employer.

B. Such a waiver shall not in any way affect the application of § 31-17 or 31-18 of this article with respect to any other title or titles.

§ 4.1 Mayor; election, term and compensation.

[Amended 8-20-1984 by L.L. No. 3-1984; 4-18-1988 by L.L. No. 3-1988; at general election 11-8-1984]

The Mayor shall be elected by voters of the City at large to serve for a term of four years beginning January 1 next following his or her election, and shall not be eligible to serve more than two consecutive terms. He or she shall be a resident and registered voter of the City. The Mayor shall be elected at the general election in the year 1963 and every four years thereafter. The Mayor shall receive such compensation as fixed by ordinance adopted by the City at any time, provided, however, that the compensation of the Mayor shall not be diminished during his or her term of office.

City of Lackawanna and Buffalo have their own Charters/Codes -
    ************************************************** *********************************

Ditto!
    Way to watch em' Cath829!

Which one of Szymanski's relatives lives in Hamburg again.........?

[QUOTE=andreahaxton;817537]
    Quote Originally Posted by lackbrokejoke View Post

Hey.....wow......My Mother lives in the 2nd WARD ......I could use her address, and I bet they would never get onto me! Great idea lackbrokejoke, I just know they are plotting and considering me at this very moment! Thanks for the tip!
    YOU R SUCH AN IDIOT

It was ment as a joke toms, laugh it off. I thought it was funny. Many employees in Lackawanna City and School use a different address. Instead of bashing comment on Fact.

Post Thank You! And here are a few more facts.......

Quote Originally Posted by getalife123 View Post
    It was ment as a joke toms, laugh it off. I thought it was funny. Many employees in Lackawanna City and School use a different address. Instead of bashing comment on Fact.

Off the web......
    A politician will do anything to keep his job - even become a patriot.
    William Randolph Hearst

Ninety eight percent of the adults in this country are decent, hardworking, honest Americans. It's the other lousy two percent that get all the publicity. But then, we elected them.
    Lily Tomlin

I have come to the conclusion that politics are too serious a matter to be left to the politicians.
    Charles de Gaulle

You may fool all the people some of the time, you can even fool some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time.
    Abraham Lincoln

Politicians are a set of men who have interests aside from the interests of the people and who, to say the most of them, are, taken as a mass, at least one long step removed from honest men.
    Abraham Lincoln

The ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month, and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen.
    Winston Churchill
    On qualifications desirable for prospective politician.

A politician ... one that would circumvent God.
    William Shakespeare
    Hamlet.

A professional politician is a professionally dishonorable man. In order to get anywhere near high office he has to make so many compromises and submit to so many humiliations that he becomes indistinguishable from a streetwalker.
    Henry Louis Mencken

Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote. (Should say the Orange Crate/Lackawanna City Hall )
    William E. Simon

He is the kind of politician who would cut down a redwood tree, then mount the stump and make a speech for conservation.
    Adlai E. Stevenson

A politician thinks of the next election. A statesman, of the next generation.
    James Freeman Clarke

I love a dog. He does nothing for political reasons.
    Will Rogers

Be a politician; no training necessary.
    Will Rogers

The poet and the politician have this in common: their greatness depends on the courage with which they face the challenges of life.
    John Fitzgerald Kennedy

The ballot is stronger than the bullet.
    Abraham Lincoln

I was really too honest a man to be a politician and live.
    Socrates

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.
    Aesop

My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference.
    Harry S. Truman

Out of the mouth of......ones who have lived it! I read that Lincoln used to pray he did NOT get elected.......whoa, was he ever spot on!
    I can now continue to do what I love to do........, simply help to try and better Lackawanna without any restraints or phony-boloney's around me!

Post Vote Buying? Can you imagine what a plush community we would have had, if.........

.......if only the self-serving /opportunists would have not lived in Lackawanna!

I found this when trying to find the LAW on giving a job promise for a vote promise..........

Is it legal to sell your vote in the US?
    August 12, 2004 11:38 AM Subscribe
    Is it legal to sell your vote in the United States? Since I don't care all THAT much who's president, and I live in a swing state, I was thinking of auctioning my vote off, or forming a syndicate with like-minded citizens to auction our votes en bloc. I mean, either party would get bigger bang for their buck buying 100,000 votes outright for $6 million, than spending the equivalent on hit-or-miss TV advertising.

Faze continues the FPP... I mean, I wouldn't be selling my vote to the candidate personally. Some political action group, or simply a concerned individual of great wealth could purchase my vote. I could auction it on eBay. That sort of thing. What do you think?
    posted by Faze to law & government (25 answers total)

weren't there some web sites doing this last election?
    posted by andrew cooke at 11:49 AM on August 12, 2004

This is a crap post. That said, you're way behind the curve.
    posted by mojohand at 11:49 AM on August 12, 2004

Other folks have had this idea--the CNN story mentions that people have even put their votes up on E-bay.

If you did try this, apparently you'd be committing a felony in violation of "both federal and state laws", and potentially face jail time. As one guy they interview for the story puts it, when they mention that the subject of the story was actually doing it as a political statement: "I don't care how you couch it. I hope this guy has some good pro bono lawyers backing him up."ote promise......

Interesting....VERY interesting. Only in Lackawanna, as the saying goes.......

Wake Up NewYork, there are approx 166 teachers working in the school district. Go to the administration building on So. Shore and ask for a School Directory. See how many teachers live in Lackawanna, not many. Many of the few that work and live here where Johns hires, a bunch of box of rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by getalife123 View Post
    Wake Up NewYork, there are approx 166 teachers working in the school district. Go to the administration building on So. Shore and ask for a School Directory. See how many teachers live in Lackawanna, not many. Many of the few that work and live here where Johns hires, a bunch of box of rocks.
    Thanks for that info that really solidifies my position on the matter. I believe that Lackawanna school district is listed as one of the top 4 or 5 in teachers salaries (if I'm mistaken somebody will correct me). I do not believe that there is anything wrong with having a residency requirement. I have listened to and heard people who live outside of this city say what a piece of crap it is and that it is a joke, however some of these people dont have a problem taking money from the tax payers of Lackawanna so they can live in their beautiful homes in Hamburg, Boston, Eden, or whereever. Could you imagine how nice it would be if we had our Professional Teachers building homes in that new sub division. Hell if there are as many as you say living outside of Lackawanna and they moved in here they would have to do the next phase.

Let's see if you use that info to make a change but probably not.

Post Was it ever repealed?

Quote Originally Posted by Wake Up New York View Post
    Thanks for that info that really solidifies my position on the matter. I believe that Lackawanna school district is listed as one of the top 4 or 5 in teachers salaries (if I'm mistaken somebody will correct me). I do not believe that there is anything wrong with having a residency requirement. I have listened to and heard people who live outside of this city say what a piece of crap it is and that it is a joke, however some of these people dont have a problem taking money from the tax payers of Lackawanna so they can live in their beautiful homes in Hamburg, Boston, Eden, or whereever. Could you imagine how nice it would be if we had our Professional Teachers building homes in that new sub division. Hell if there are as many as you say living outside of Lackawanna and they moved in here they would have to do the next phase.
    Just got back from East Aurora........I could easily see why they would want to live there and not in Lackawanna! East Aurora is the whole enchilada and we are the ..........you can fill in the blank.
    Besides the Basilica......OUR Children, and the sun, what else shines in Lackawanna?

BTW: There always was a ruling passed by the BOE regarding mandatory residency for ALL LSD staff. I know they could get around it if, say they needed an English 12 teacher or a Spanish Teacher, and there was no one possessing the proper credentials in LA to fill it. The person had so much time to move in though, I thought.
    This has always been a bone of contention in LA......and they can dance around it. Was it ever officially repealed under John-John?
    Time to get my source boning up on Education Law again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake Up New York View Post
    I think the salaries are ranked 3rd highest. Requesting or mandatory requirement for just teachers to live in Lackawanna will never happen. It was tried about 15 yrs ago, with an overload of hirings.(retirees, new positions) They had a 4-6 month window to relocate to Lackawanna, signed a waiver upon employment. It fell threw. Not one moved to Lackawanna. They won they case out of court. You cannot single out one section of group employment. There are over 300 employees in the district. If a residency rule was to be enforced it would have to apply to all employees of the City and School district, from the top down, this City would never allow it to happen, to many patronage jobs.
    Last edited by getalife123; November 13th, 2011 at 08:55 PM.

I believe that residency rule only applied to CSEA. The other unions negotiated it away years ago. Nellie King never lived in the city either although they kept telling her she should...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cool 2012

Take it to the streets....that is what Occupy Wall Street is doing.

Who do you all think would support a grassroots movement to start all over again and let the people decide what rules they want passed by the LSD BOE for the betterment of all.
    Looks like NYS is going to be breathing down their necks to force something on them to increase our kids overall learning scores. C'mon Parents and Grands......let's start gathering and planning, just like to BOE does. Albany told us our BOE is not doing the job for OUR kids, so......... You In?

School Board meeting this Thursday.

You guys need to make up your mind.

Either you want the most qualified teachers to be hired or you want them to be Lackawanna residents. 9 times out of 10 you will not get both.

I would think the most "qualified" teachers should be hired but I think most are saying that if the most qualified are hired they should have to move into Lackawanna. I personally, do not feel that way. Why should a qualified teacher have to be forced to give up their roots just because Lackawanna cannot sustain on its own? Qualified teachers do not apply now as it is.

Post I know we are no where near the size of Buffalo.....this is interesting though

Quote Originally Posted by Same Old, Same Old View Post
    You guys need to make up your mind.

Either you want the most qualified teachers to be hired or you want them to be Lackawanna residents. 9 times out of 10 you will not get both.
    INFORMATION ON BECOMING A BPS TEACHER

WHY TEACH FOR BPS?

COMPETITIVE PAY RATES – starting at $32,897 - $42,936 for first time teachers.

CREDIT FOR PRIOR SERVICE – BPS honors up to 13 years of prior service in another school district.

RECRUITMENT INCENTIVE – BPS offers incentives for first time teachers in a public school district. Through the Teachers of Tomorrow grant, this program provides awards of $3,400 per year and is renewable for three additional years. (Maximum cumulative award total is $13,600)

TUITION REIMBURSEMENT – BPS provides reimbursements for eligible teachers through the Teachers of Tomorrow grant. Total initial and renewal awards may not exceed $4,200.

BUFFALO, NEW YORK - With a rich history, a tradition of innovation, a culturally and ethnically diverse citizenry, affordable housing and quality of life opportunities the City of Buffalo possesses all of the appealing characteristics and qualities of the great urban centers of the United States.
    Visit web site: http://www.ci.buffalo.ny.us
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HOW TO BECOME A BUFFALO TEACHER

HIRING PROCEDURE

Complete standard teaching application for the Buffalo Public Schools (available online at http://www.buffaloschools.org)

Provide a current resume

Submit official transcripts from all higher educational institutions regarding attendance and degrees that have been received. Photocopies and unsealed correspondence with not be accepted.

Comply with New York state law requirements for a criminal record check and fingerprinting. *

Processing the criminal record check form requires candidates to visit the Buffalo Police Department at 74 Franklin Street, in person with either cash or a money order for $10.00 made payable to “Buffalo Police Department”. A police records check clearance report must be processed for all first time employees and for anyone with a break in service in excess of one year.

Schedule an appointment for fingerprinting with Human Resources by calling (716) 816-3519. Candidates must have a money order in the amount of $99.00 made payable to “NYSED”, if they have not been previously fingerprinted for the New York State Education Department since July 1, 2001.

Interview with tenure area director
    Once selected for a position, report to Human Resources IN PERSON, Room 720 City Hall to complete the items listed below:
    W-4 form for Federal & State Income Tax Deductions
    Oath of Allegiance
    New York State Teacher Retirement Form
    Advanced Credit Differential Form (if applicable)
    Employment Eligibility Verification

(I - 9) Form (which may require up to two proofs of identification, one of which must be a photo I.D.) Acceptable proofs and instructions for the I-9 form are available online at http://www.buffaloschools.org

Applications remain on file for one year and are reviewed by tenure area directors based on need. Tenure area directors will contact selected applicants for an interview.

The Buffalo Board of Education has a residency requirement for teachers in all teaching areas that are not deemed “high need.” Please consult the web site http://www.buffaloschools.org for a current list of “high need” areas.
    Please call: (716) 816-3519

Additional openings are also posted at http://www.buffaloschools.org

WHY TEACH FOR LSD?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information