View Poll Results: Close the ice or the tax payers pick up the tab?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Close the ice - too costly, 1.3 Million in repairs is too much

8 50.00%
  • Keep the rink open - raise taxes

4 25.00%
  • keep the rink open - let the travel program pay for everything

3 18.75%
  • Undecided

1 6.25%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Close the ice rink or the tax payers pick up the tab?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Looks more like the board spent the money not the town.

While I recognize that money is short, and that the Town has bigger fish to fry, I also realize that the rink is an oft used luxury.

If they don't do the rink, then the senior center, pool, etc should all go by the wayside as well.

I wonder what the "trickle down" is from the rink(s) and soccer fields in the area to restaraunts and hotels in West Seneca? By no means do I think that's behind decisions to build the rink(s) and fields, but perhaps the extra traffic could inspire some more eateries and hotels...Especially on the Seneca Mall site.

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    But should a municipality be competing with businesses that provide the same resources for it?
    Good point! I can understand a municipality being responsible for roads, and one or two police officers but thats about it. Most everything else should be private business.

So youre probably thinking...Anarchy...right? Well I think after one or two generations the people would be wiser and stronger for it.

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd View Post
    While I recognize that money is short, and that the Town has bigger fish to fry, I also realize that the rink is an oft used luxury.

If they don't do the rink, then the senior center, pool, etc should all go by the wayside as well.

I wonder what the "trickle down" is from the rink(s) and soccer fields in the area to restaraunts and hotels in West Seneca? By no means do I think that's behind decisions to build the rink(s) and fields, but perhaps the extra traffic could inspire some more eateries and hotels...Especially on the Seneca Mall site.
    Ice Rink (bowling ball) being compared to pool/fields/senior center (apples). You are talking apples and bowling balls. How many more hotels and restaurants are really needed and if Pyramid Corp wanted the Seneca Mall site cleaned up, the site would have been cleaned up.

Unless, the rink was four or five pad rink, we (WS) wouldn't be able to compete with Pepsi Center for the big tournaments.

The cost of running a football field is nowhere near the cost of building and running an ice rink. I don't think people know the true cost. West Seneca should get out of the ice rink business asap.

Why not let a private company build an ice rink? Why does West Seneca feel the need to build one?

But should a municipality be competing with businesses that provide the same resources for it?
    So why don't we get rid of public schools, parks, libraries, military, police, firefighters, etc? All can be privatized.

Quote Originally Posted by CSense View Post
    So why don't we get rid of public schools, parks, libraries, military, police, firefighters, etc? All can be privatized.
    First off even if those functions could be privatized they would not generate tax revenue -- Private schools are exempt from property taxes, etc.

However, we have taxpaying commercial enterprises providing ice for skating and hockey: http://www.holidayrinks.com/ . Municipal ice appears to have been the cause of the decline of this industry, we should start its re-birth by not competing with it.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

First off even if those functions could be privatized they would not generate tax revenue -- Private schools are exempt from property taxes, etc.

However, we have taxpaying commercial enterprises providing ice for skating and hockey: http://www.holidayrinks.com/ . Municipal ice appears to have been the cause of the decline of this industry, we should start its re-birth by not competing with it.
    That's not the point, you asked the question, should a municipality be competing with businesses that provide the same resources for it?

Tell me why the town should be competing against a private school? Why should we have public parks? I could start a park and charge people to come, thus generating taxes. The same could be said for many of the services being provided by the town (police, firefighters, street cleaning). Both building and corporation could be taxed. BTW, are you suggesting that we rid ourselves of all non profits?

I think you are the one missing the point, but we will leave it at agreeing we disagree.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

I think you are the one missing the point, but we will leave it at agreeing we disagree.
    I see your point, call me slow. So what your stating is that we have an existing taxpaying entity, Lesiure Rinks within WS, that is paying taxes to support the Town Ice rink.

So then why does the town have a mehanics garage? Swimming pool? Are they not competing against other for profits (Monroe, Liesure pools, etc)?

I think a smart Public Administrator would try to get the best bang for the taxpayer benefit.

For instance, the public entity, non-profit and for profit entity can all work together hand in hand for the public good and the least cost.

There are a few examples.

National Parks- Delaware North with concessions.

Ice Rinks- Many were subcontracted to the non-profits in the city of buffalo. Omsted conservancy. botanical gardens etc

Buffalo Schools- I believe Canteen Concessions do most of the food now. I believe they could computerized and subcontract alot of their records, payroll etc at a lower cost.

State Parks- Recreational activities- Maid Of the Mist - Of course you need to make sure there is competive bidding and the taxpayer doesn't get screwed.

Charter Schools- I think they do a better job with children performance at a reduced cost.
    Kiss someone that's different. It helps.
    Lets get the facts first, then go for the jugular!!
    It's all transparent, just read between the lines..

The mechanics garage does not provide services to the public in that I can't take my vehicle to it for repairs so it is not competing with Monro, etc. A whole different discussion would be on whether it should be done in house or put out for bid.

I am not aware of a business that rents pool time like leisure rink renting out ice time, is there one?

The mechanics garage does not provide services to the public in that I can't take my vehicle to it for repairs so it is not competing with Monro, etc. A whole different discussion would be on whether it should be done in house or put out for bid.

I am not aware of a business that rents pool time like leisure rink renting out ice time, is there one?
    Tonawanda- http://www.ttypr.com/town-facilities...fitness-center

Golf courses and sports shops can be leased out..

Golf courses do bring in a lot of revenue and maybe better cost effective in house..
    Kiss someone that's different. It helps.
    Lets get the facts first, then go for the jugular!!
    It's all transparent, just read between the lines..

So now we are parsing rent versus ownership, does it matter? Liesure pools is losing money because the town offers pool services. Isn't that your point?

Monroe is losing money becuase the town could be sending it's fleet to exiting taxpaying entities, why should Monroe and any other facility pay to keep the mechanical garage afloat?

Where do you draw the line with Libraries? They are competing with book, video and record stores?

No, doing something in-house v. contracting out is a different question from should the town be offering something to the public and competing in the market place against commercial entities.

No, doing something in-house v. contracting out is a different question from should the town be offering something to the public and competing in the market place against commercial entities.
    Ok I'll give on the mechanics garage, ya got me. Now about the library and the pool

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information