Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: South Buffalo man charged with hate crime after cross burning

South Buffalo man charged with hate crime after cross burning

A 40-year-old South Buffalo man was charged this morning with burning a cross on the lawn of a nearby house as a "hate crime" targeting a racially-diverse household.

Donald Napierala, of Macamley Street, is accused of igniting the cross on the lawn of a house a couple of blocks away in the 1600 block of South Park Avenue, which was occupied by four people -- Hispanic and white.

Police and fire officials said Napierala placed a cross, described as seven feet by four feet, on the lawn of the home at about 1:30 a.m.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/386907.html
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

maybe he was just venting?

Color Me Surprised it didn't happen in the Old Ward, Seneca Babcock or the Valley. Racism is moving "uptown" in the old South B. Pretty soon some kids will "key" the n-word into someone's car in St. Ambrose parish. . . Oh wait, that's happened already. . .

[NOTE - While it may seem so, I'm not trying to generalize South Buffalo or the Irish as racists. There are virulent racists in South Buffalo, no doubt and a lot of them are Irish. This issue gets blown off or ignored because many of the more stupid ones believe they are vicariously living their ancestor's suffering and, in my opinion, revert back to more stratified tribalism.

But being personally familiar with South Buffalo, I can also say there are a lot of good people who know and appreciate their history or who are appreciably building new histories in that neighborhood. Believing that, I hope there are enough people who call out the morons responsible and use this clichéd and tired racial insult to educate and/or inform people.]
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke
    Color Me Surprised it didn't happen in the Old Ward, Seneca Babcock or the Valley. Racism is moving "uptown" in the old South B. Pretty soon some kids will "key" the n-word into someone's car in St. Ambrose parish. . . Oh wait, that's happened already. . .

[NOTE - While it may seem so, I'm not trying to generalize South Buffalo or the Irish as racists. There are virulent racists in South Buffalo, no doubt and a lot of them are Irish. This issue gets blown off or ignored because many of the more stupid ones believe they are vicariously living their ancestor's suffering and, in my opinion, revert back to more stratified tribalism.

But being personally familiar with South Buffalo, I can also say there are a lot of good people who know and appreciate their history or who are appreciably building new histories in that neighborhood. Believing that, I hope there are enough people who call out the morons responsible and use this clichéd and tired racial insult to educate and/or inform people.]
    Do you think any black people "revert back to more stratified tribalism" for similar reasons?

As much as I hate to stereotype anyone ..Did you see the guys pic?
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA
    Do you think any black people "revert back to more stratified tribalism" for similar reasons?
    In a lot of ways, yes. In the same way any poverty stricken or seemingly downtrodden group does. (See: ethnic and/or religious groups in the part of the world we made an even worse hellhole out of, the Middle East.) However, Irish people today are rarely discriminated against because of their heritage. Black skin, on the other hand. . . is a different ball of wax. It is not totally dissimilar to the discrimination the Irish faced 100+ years ago, except that it still exists.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele J
    As much as I hate to stereotype anyone ..Did you see the guys pic?

Donald Napierala

If he doesnt scream " redneck racist" who does?
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

Unregistered
    I don't know what it was for, but he posted bond (bail) for $5000 on 06/12/2006.

What do you all think about prosecuting for hate crimes?
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by run4it

I think they are redundant.

Many of the "hate crimes" are merely people taking advantage of the system, while instances like this are clear-cut hate crimes which beg the strictest sentencing legally allowed.

I only wish that legislators (Federal & State levels) would come up with a clear, indisputable definition of what exactly constitutes a "hate crime";Still too vague

Trouble with hate crime prosecution is that like most felonies and misdemeanors, hate crime punishment is NOT a deterrent.

Regardless of its deterrent effect, however, hate crimes should be punished.

Disgusted soon as I saw the 'News' photo and caption. Astonished, actually.

A burning cross?

These days?

Michele J.'s right on: I SWEAR this guy's the result of generations of inbreeding.

"Huh. My ma an' pa are brother an' sister an' muh intended is muh oldest sister, Lou Ann.
    Yep...I was drunk on moonshine when I done lit that burnt cross on them idjit's lawn! Huh. Now git that there camera out of muh face or ah'll give ya a good a$$ whuppin!!! Hee hee!!"
    said
    Donny Burrhead Napierala in a statement to the press.

Racism? In Buffalo?! "The city of good neighbors?!"
    What is this proud metropolis coming to?!
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Hate it!

I never understood "hate crimes". Are there "love crimes"..."apathetic crimes"?

Forget the modifier...crime is crime.

Should the dude who beats granny up and takes her purse, but does it with a smile get any less of a sentence then the dude who beats granny up and yells at her through snarled teeth, "you're an old white bitch!"

Give me a break with the hate crime ridiculousness.
    The difference between taxes and robbery is the mode of coercion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information