Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Man attacked on bus while passengers sit back and watch." What would YOU do?

"Man attacked on bus while passengers sit back and watch." What would YOU do?

"Man attacked on bus while passengers sit back and watch."

That's the tag line from who else but Fox News. The video shows a strongarm robbery of an I-Phone, accompanied by a gratuitous beating. The people who "sit back and watch" are two women sitting within close proximity, one with a baby. In the final frame, one guy seated in the back of the bus does appear to at least get out of his seat.

Question is: What would you do? Would you intervene if a stranger were being feloniously assaulted and robbed, or would you just sit back and watch?

http://www.wbns.com/live/content/loc...k.html?sid=102

Unregistered
    It appears to me as though the "victim" threw the first punch and , therefore, deserved the beating he received. All the guy wanted was a free I-Phone and was attacked for no good reason.

Do the employees of the department of social services throw punches at people for coming in for hand-outs? NO! So what gives the "victim" the right to do so?

"Don't get involved" so often heard when discussing interefering with other's problems

Ideally, I would want to help;I'd feel like a total coward if I stood by and did nothing but conversely,
    so many pieces of sh--t carry guns these days that aiding someone physically is almost Russian Roulette.

Yelling at an assailant might not do much if anything
    Calling the police would take too long for a response

Then there's the very real possibility of using "excess force" on a piece of filth and getting arrested.

I guess it not only depends on the situation (number of assailants, if its a woman, child or senior citizen geeting beaten and robbed)

All vagueness aside, when I read "would you intervene... or just sit back and watch," I thought,
    I would immediately help, beat the criminal bloody and broken

But talk isn't just cheap
    its free

Fantastic and relevant "what if?" Scenario.
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

hard to say..... as Dumbfounded said, we live in a world where you could assist the victim and end up getting sued and/or arrested yourself.

Common sense and respect have gone away. If you hurt the scumbag criminal in the course of stopping them from beating a victim, you open yourself up to all sorts of civil and criminal penalties.

Gone are the days where the cops would high five you at the station and ask why you didn't do them a favor and kill the sob.
    The truth from a troll is still the truth.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfounded
    "Don't get involved" so often heard when discussing interefering with other's problems

Ideally, I would want to help;I'd feel like a total coward if I stood by and did nothing but conversely,
    so many pieces of sh--t carry guns these days that aiding someone physically is almost Russian Roulette.

Yelling at an assailant might not do much if anything
    Calling the police would take too long for a response

Then there's the very real possibility of using "excess force" on a piece of filth and getting arrested.

I guess it not only depends on the situation (number of assailants, if its a woman, child or senior citizen geeting beaten and robbed)

All vagueness aside, when I read "would you intervene... or just sit back and watch," I thought,
    I would immediately help, beat the criminal bloody and broken

But talk isn't just cheap
    its free

Fantastic and relevant "what if?" Scenario.
    The guy was carrying an I-Phone, not a gun.

That being said, I most certainly would've helped the poor black guy who was brutally attacked.

Haven't you ever noticed how, (when a black person and white person are involved in a crime,) the media always jumps to the conclusion that the white person is the "victim."

The white guy clearly threw the first punch. The black guy was quite civil in his initial attempt to take what he believed should be his and had every right to defend himself.

surfin,

We laugh but you just wrote the legal brief for a slimeball criminal verbatim. The sad thing is it would probably work in a real court of law.

LOL

What a world..........

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA
    The guy was carrying an I-Phone, not a gun.

That being said, I most certainly would've helped the poor black guy who was brutally attacked.

Haven't you ever noticed how, (when a black person and white person are involved in a crime,) the media always jumps to the conclusion that the white person is the "victim."

The white guy clearly threw the first punch. The black guy was quite civil in his initial attempt to take what he believed should be his and had every right to defend himself.
    The way I see it the black guy apears to be reaching for the phone to possibly steal it and the white guy threw a punch in response. So eventhough he threw the first punch he didn't take the first agressive action.

As far as jumping in to help... is always a monentary reaction. In the front of your mind your gut reaction is to jump in and help. In back of your mind, is reality saying what if either of the guys sue me. I don't think there is a clear and decisive yes or no. Too many factors enter in.
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit Of All That Threaten It
    What if the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about?

What did the bus driver do?

Can't say for certain what I would have done, but I guarantee I wouldn't have been stoic as the passenger just behind the victim obviously was. BIZZARO!

I guess it would be nice to see the entire video before making an informed decision. Perhaps the white guy had stolen the I-phone from the black guy minutes before the encounter, and the white-controlled media decided to edit the video to sensationalize the often over-reported black on white crime.

Who's to say that anything in the video is in fact real, or occurred as portrayed in the 20 second frame. A lot can be accomplished with cutting, editing and pasting. Suffice to say that computer generated animation can fake, replicate or embellish any type of incident and make it appear as something other.

In the 1987 film "Running Man," a digitized portrait of Arnold was morphed onto another body, and submitted to the masses as proof of his demise. This technology seemed incredulous at the time.
    Last edited by ChaneysGotaGun; June 22nd, 2008 at 11:23 AM.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by 300miles
    What did the bus driver do?
    The bus driver hid his own I-Phone and began whistling Dixie.

It all depends. When I was single and younger I probably would've said yes, even perhaps at the risk of getting shot. Now that I'm a father and married, I would be much more hesitant as I have much more to think about than just my own safety. Additionally, I would've intervened not because of the material robbery, but because of the attack. I always thought to myself that whatever I have materially is not worth getting killed over. At one point I used to actually carry a spare $20, just in case I was mugged so that the criminals wouldn't kill me for having nothing... Now I don't carry that extra $20 because it probably wouldn't make a difference. Bottom line, if someone's going to try and grab something from you, just give it up.

Bottom line, if someone's going to try and grab something from you, just give it up.

That's what the criminal scum depend on.

Perfect example of why everyone should carry a gun if they feel comfortable doing so.
    No one is going to go around grab handing knowing you may just carry a gun.
    Today only the thugs and a very small number of upstanding citizens do.
    What a shame it would have been to see this thug get lead versus i-phone. Lying in his own blood of disgust and dying the miserable death he deserves.
    Leaving the world with one less piece of garbage to take care of for life.

Would I intervene? Only with a weapon.

I think society is ready for another Subway Vigilante.

It's been 24 years since Bernie Goetz forever changed the prey vs. victim relationship. One of his attackers is permanently paralyzed, another went on rape and sodomize a pregnant woman. One "successfully" sued Bernie for 43 million, and Bernie responded with filing bankruptcy.

Here's an interesting quote from the NYS Penal Law- I don't know if Ohio adheres to the same standards.

"A person may not use deadly physical force upon another person...unless...He reasonably believes that such other person is committing or attempting to commit [one of certain enumerated predicate offenses, including robbery]."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information