Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should Baseball retire Babe Ruth's Number again

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37
    I can see most of you don't even follow baseball history. OK I'll make it very plan to ya.

1. Jackie Robinson baseball number has already been retired throughout baseball, and throughout all teams. This means his number can never, ever be worn again. This was done base on Robinson being the first black player to bridge the racial gap.

2. Why shouldn't Babe Ruth's baseball number be retired throughout baseball, and throughout all teams base on this " if it wasn't for Babe Ruth in 1920 saving baseball the way he had". You may never see baseball today as we do on TV and in the ball parks. In 1920 ever American was walking away from the American pastime because of all the corruption throughout the leagues, and vastly due to the Chicago scandal. People were literally throwing out their bats, balls, and gloves all over America.

3. Therefore, why shouldn't MLB retire Babes number as they had for Jackie Robinson. If MLB thought so much of Robinson why think of the one player who literally saved baseball from utter destruction. And no on other play would have this done to their numbers because MLB would need to make it clear that these two honors are above HOF records, and baseball records themselves. Its about the cut above the game that no other two players have ever done since, and will never do again.

you asked...and got answers...re-read the answers..

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    you asked...and got answers...re-read the answers..
    He just enjoys being an arrogant prick, sometimes. When people don't answer the way he wants them too, he just assumes they don't "understand."

You know I kind of agree with riv on this one , I love the Yankees , since I was about 5-6 years young , & Ruth not only built the stadium (The House That Ruth Built) , but he's what made baseball (& built) what it is today......he was SO far ahead of his time , his number should be retired for all of baseball , the other players mentioned were great , but they WERE NOT "The Babe" !............he broke many barriers also.............some so unfathomabale (sic?)..........& didn't have steroids unless the hotdogs he ate had them back then !
    Nothing gold can stay...............

www.onlinebuffalo.com

Ah

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    He just enjoys being an arrogant prick, sometimes. When people don't answer the way he wants them too, he just assumes they don't "understand."

Oh, now I am an arrogant prick ! How dare you. If I am that then you really must know what you're talking about because it takes to know one right lol
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information