Thread: Military Service

Exclamation Military Service

A lot of countries around the globe require their youth to "serve" time in the military , I always believed the USA should also have our older teens (18,19 , & 20) serve at least 1 & 1/2 to 2 years in the military to become more disciplined , show respect for those who died for our freedoms , & also to be "ready" should we ever call on them in case of attack , & many more reasons . Am I out of line ? I can take the critiques , but please keep it mature , no "shut-ups" or name calling , thank you......
    Nothing gold can stay...............

www.onlinebuffalo.com

Unregistered
    I agree serving in the military is a valuable and honorable experiance.

I'm not for a mandatory draft, so don't get me wrong. But there are so many teenagers (18 -19 & 20 yr olds) who just don't know what to do with themselves those first few years post secondary school, and perhaps some military experience would be beneficial toward their development into responsible adults. It surely would get them moving in the right direction ... "out of the house and off mommy's couch."

However, if they choose to pursue a higher education in college, they should be allowed to do so without the govt saying they must put college on hold.

Two different paths, but with the same goal .. learn to be a responsible adults and "get out of the house and off mommy's couch."

winnie .. you're a poope-head so shut up
    Last edited by Ragin; June 9th, 2008 at 02:31 PM.

Call me a liberal but I think it should stay voluntary. My only gripe (personal) is that if you serve, collage should be free. Friggin' GI Bill is a joke.

You get a monthly stipend during the months you attend (not disclosed at signing), which is well below the cost (tuition, books, food and misc expenses).

UB was something like $3,000 a semester (4 months) when I attended (tuition alone). I received $400 a month (4 months). Now how does that pay for schooling?

My opinion is that the military is so successful because it is volunteer. It's a perfect example of people doing something not because they were ordered, but because they want to.
    It's truly noble to be in the US Military, because it IS volunteer.

So, no draft.

However, maybe kids that can't seem to make it through high school successfully be it by suspensions, fighting, etc...just troubled kids, maybe the military could open a branch just for these kids. They'd go to school in a boot camp situation, and graduate having completed their basic training requirements, where they could choose to move on to serve in a branch of the military, join the reserves, or go to school.
    However, they must make one of those choices, or else it will be made for them. These kids are the ones that usually end up out on the street, raising our crime rates.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150
    My opinion is that the military is so successful because it is volunteer. It's a perfect example of people doing something not because they were ordered, but because they want to.

So, no draft.

However, maybe kids that can't seem to make it through high school successfully be it by suspensions, fighting, etc...just troubled kids, maybe the military could open a branch just for these kids. They'd go to school in a boot camp situation, and graduate having completed their basic training requirements, where they could choose to move on to serve in a branch of the military, join the reserves, or go to school.
    However, they must make one of those choices, or else it will be made for them. These kids are the ones that usually end up out on the street, raising our crime rates.
    key , I'm not saying draft , esp. for the sole purpose of putting these kid's in harm's way , but I'm basically agreeing with you to put these kids/young adults into "service" for their country , kind of like Israel requires it & many more countries also.........how to work it out , could be figured out later........for another day.........

www.onlinebuffalo.com

Mandatory military service is for new countries in desperate need of border security. Its not the governments job to straightent out young punks who came from prissy moron parents who shouldnt have had children in the first place.

If the US mandated military service now, the whole world would see it as a fascist pig pinko commie movement to tyranise the planet with religious delution by dumbed down schizophrenics in love with their own enslavement.

So, no draft.

Depends on the cause.
    The U.S. draft during World War II gathered up plenty of determined fighters who served their country with pride, distinction and belief in some kind of goal as compared to this "war" which is purely for profit

Cheney is determined to build and staff FIFTY MILITARY BASES in Iraq
    Cheney always gets what Cheney wants.
    The ONLY way he'll get enough military recruits to staff the bases and replace our current troops in Iraq would be for far greater benefits (not)
    or
    some kind of forced service;A draft

The current G.I. Bill is an atrocity of industry & politics.
    The money taken away from the VA system and the care of active and recently discharged military
    has been funneled to industry in Iraq and domestically

Besides, with this government's recent treatment of veterans that not even the corporate media can hide,
    the ONLY volunteer troops you'd get would be illegal aliens promised citizenship and prisoners, although it would be hard as hell to keep them in line a la 'The Dirty Dozen!'

A future volunteer army would literally be "the bottom of the barrel"
    UNLESS Bush or McCain somehow ALSO hire foreigners help our troops fight our colonialist occupations.
    Seriously.
    Manufacturing jobs have been outsourced like crazy.
    Even Blackwater has a limited number of mercenaries
    So the future U.S. army may very well have low-paid foreign fighters,
    very likely from "Mexico."

At this point, NOTHING can be put past the cold-blooded machinations of those who determine our collective destiny.
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

As a note most european countries have a mandatory two year military service for kids not going on to higher education after highschool
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Any idea on the percentage of 18 year olds that choose to join the military? I have no idea and was just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    As a note most european countries have a mandatory two year military service for kids not going on to higher education after highschool
    thanks steve , I've heard this was true...........can't find anything noteworthy to prove it.........

www.onlinebuffalo.com

Quote Originally Posted by winfield31
    key , I'm not saying draft , esp. for the sole purpose of putting these kid's in harm's way , but I'm basically agreeing with you to put these kids/young adults into "service" for their country , kind of like Israel requires it & many more countries also.........how to work it out , could be figured out later........for another day.........
    The way I see it, these kids are not going to contribute to the country in any other way, so they might as well become part of the military.

The way I see it, these kids are not going to contribute to the country in any other way, so they might as well become part of the military.
    I agree , just don't want then to train for all the wrong reasons like being in this half-assed war in the middle east............training for a trade , yes , helping the country proper yes , fighting civil wars for others , no.............

www.onlinebuffalo.com

The Peace corps/Americorps is a viable alternative to military service.
    Hillary will NEVER be President
    Obama is a FORMER President
    Joe Biden is in Scranton eating paste.

Quote Originally Posted by winfield31
    I agree , just don't want then to train for all the wrong reasons like being in this half-assed war in the middle east............training for a trade , yes , helping the country proper yes , fighting civil wars for others , no.............
    No, I agree, but it is important to understand that militaristic training (especially the discipline aspect) is the best possible thing that could happen to some of these kids.

No, I agree, but it is important to understand that militaristic training (especially the discipline aspect) is the best possible thing that could happen to some of these kids.
    totally on-board with that logic.............

www.onlinebuffalo.com

Thread Information