Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need advice

I need advice

I have two 14 yr old foster dogs. You know, as you get older, sometimes you can't "hold it" for as long as you used to. Now I am finding spots on the carpet near the back door. Spots, as in someone had an accident. I have a bissel steam cleaner and have used products for pet stains and odors but.. it really doesn't help with the odor.

Has anyone used something that really works? Before I go out spending $$ on products, I'd like to hear if anyone has used something that actually works.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

Quote Originally Posted by OneEmerald
    I have two 14 yr old foster dogs. You know, as you get older, sometimes you can't "hold it" for as long as you used to. Now I am finding spots on the carpet near the back door. Spots, as in someone had an accident. I have a bissel steam cleaner and have used products for pet stains and odors but.. it really doesn't help with the odor.

Has anyone used something that really works? Before I go out spending $$ on products, I'd like to hear if anyone has used something that actually works.
    believe it or not , there's doggy diapers , like "Depends" , they'll still have their accidents , but your rug will be spared , you should ask the vet Dr. Jim ?
    Nothing gold can stay...............

www.onlinebuffalo.com

emerald , I'm sorry I did not realize you did post this thread in the animals section , I caught this thread from the "New Posts" menu........sorry again..........

www.onlinebuffalo.com

I would call Dobmeier Janitor Supply Inc. They helped us when our Yorkie got nailed point blank by a skunk. She ripped through the whole house rolling and scooting and... it was a MESS!! Someone told us to call them to see what they recommended. One of the products we got from them was something we put in with the wash to get the smell out of our clothes. It worked really well, but I can't remember the name of it. I'm sure they will know exactly what you need.

When Harley was in his puppy stage and still having accidents, I would first mix some baking soda and water and soak the spot, suck it up with the rug cleaner, then do it again. Then I'd use the rug cleaner with hot water and equal parts pet formula rug cleaner and store-brand Febreeze (using the machine's measuring "thingie"). Considering Harley's puddles were more like small ponds, it worked extremely well!

The Big Bang Theory: God Spoke and BANG! it happened.

Thanks everyone. I went to my rescue list and posed the same question. There were recommendations of commerical products like Nature's Miracle and others that can be bought online. One person said she uses salt.

I do have belly bands for the dogs but they are meant to be used for short periods of time and I found if the dog moves around alot the band gets moved also.
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

emerald , I'm approx. 7 years old in "doggie" years , & I sometimes have trouble "holding it" .............but I'll say a prayer for you & your rugs , hope the remedies work & I thank you for taking in dogs , they're not called "man's" (& woman's) best friends for nothing.............you'll be blessed.........

www.onlinebuffalo.com

Quote Originally Posted by winfield31
    emerald , I'm approx. 7 years old in "doggie" years , & I sometimes have trouble "holding it" .............but I'll say a prayer for you & your rugs , hope the remedies work & I thank you for taking in dogs , they're not called "man's" (& woman's) best friends for nothing.............you'll be blessed.........
    Thanks winfield. I feel blessed because I've had some amazing dogs come through my life.
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

OK, here's an update on the rug odor problem. Someone on my rescue list suggested OUT! Natural available at Walmart. I got some today and treated the carpet. So far, so good. Tomorrow when it's dry I'll give it the sniff test and let you know the results.
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

OK, here's an update on the rug odor problem. Someone on my rescue list suggested OUT! Natural available at Walmart. I got some today and treated the carpet. So far, so good. Tomorrow when it's dry I'll give it the sniff test and let you know the results.
    wow , the dreaded "scratch & sniff" test..............hope it works for ya...........

www.onlinebuffalo.com

We've always had good luck with OxyClean .... for both dog and cat issues.

And if anyone ever has a skunk problem write down this recipe.

1 bottle of peroxide
    1/4 baking soda
    2 tsp of liquid hand soap.

Mix all ingredients in a spray bottle. Spray onto your dog and work into their fur. The smell disappears almost immediately, but if you wait about 20 minutes and give them a bath you could let them crawl in your bed!! We got this recipe from the emergency vets office at 5am one morning when my dog had an encounter with the neighborhood skunk. Just be careful around their eyes.

Corr Distributing in Tonawanda sells a Liquid Life Forms enzyme cleaner that eats the odor causing bacteria.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz
    We've always had good luck with OxyClean .... for both dog and cat issues.

And if anyone ever has a skunk problem write down this recipe.

1 bottle of peroxide
    1/4 baking soda
    2 tsp of liquid hand soap.

Mix all ingredients in a spray bottle. Spray onto your dog and work into their fur. The smell disappears almost immediately, but if you wait about 20 minutes and give them a bath you could let them crawl in your bed!! We got this recipe from the emergency vets office at 5am one morning when my dog had an encounter with the neighborhood skunk. Just be careful around their eyes.
    I wish I had that recipe 15 years ago. Be careful. Once a dog gets sprayed by a skunk, it's their life's quest to get that skunk. They start going after all skunks.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

People in my Basset group swear by Nature's Miracle.
    Chaos, Panic, Disorder, my work here is done!

Mouthwash, like Scope, is also a good way to eliminate skunk odor. Just bathe the dog with it. When I lived in suburban Albany, our neighborhood was "skunk heaven", and Scope was the recommended antidote.

If it gets rid of eau de skunk, it can get rid of just about any odor!
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information