Thread: Mayor Brown wants to appoint 3 School Board Members

Mayor Brown wants to appoint 3 School Board Members

It is rare when I support one of Mayor Brown's ideas. I think this could be a good idea.

The city of Buffalo should have a direct say in what is going on within the Buffalo Public Schools. His idea can't hurt. The Buffalo School system is a mess. The BTF has to much political power within the School Board.

By the Mayor appointing 3 members it may give the city some control over the spending of the city taxpayers money, if the appointees truly have the children's interest at heart.
    Russia didn't make me vote for Trump, Hillary did.

Why is it that so many people who are disgruntled with the outcome of duly run elections are always looking for ways to subvert the voting process?

Am I mistaken Lacks, or aren't you one of the ones who has seemed to think that, since Buffalo is losing population, the number of governmental representatives should be lowered, not raised?

Besides, since everyone was so convinced that Brown was "in the pockets of unions" when he was elected, why would you think he would appoint board members who are opposed to unions?
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Buffalo has been there and done that, and it was just as bad since the BOE was then a rubber stamp for the mayor as opposed to being a rubber stamp for the superintendent.

I've got a couple of better ideas. How about Buffalonians who want to do better by the kids in the public schools run for the Buffalo Board of Ed? How about Buffalo voters vote out the Williams butt-kissers and vote in some independents? That's how voters in other school districts do things when they don't like the way the school district is run.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Exactly Linda!

When the BOE members extended Williams' contract, they damn well DESERVED to be removed. And they were, quite properly, through an election. The last think i want to see is a board taking such an unconscionable step and then being insulated from any consequence.

I've thought about running for school board...but my district rep is doing a fine job, and I've no reason to want to displace him. Plus, I simply haven't the first idea how to run any kind of campaign.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    Why is it that so many people who are disgruntled with the outcome of duly run elections are always looking for ways to subvert the voting process?

Am I mistaken Lacks, or aren't you one of the ones who has seemed to think that, since Buffalo is losing population, the number of governmental representatives should be lowered, not raised?

Besides, since everyone was so convinced that Brown was "in the pockets of unions" when he was elected, why would you think he would appoint board members who are opposed to unions?
    Brown & Casey are not "in the pockets" of any union , they're VERY independant of them.........but to give them partial control of the school board , lots of pros & cons there..........
    Nothing gold can stay...............

www.onlinebuffalo.com

Plus, I simply haven't the first idea how to run any kind of campaign.
    Anytime your ready, let me know. I think you'd make a really good candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by winfield31
    Brown & Casey are not "in the pockets" of any union , they're VERY independant of them.........but to give them partial control of the school board , lots of pros & cons there..........
    They are in the pockets of who ever can buy them, which is worse. They do not make decision for the betterment of the city, rather for the betterment of their power grabbing selfish tendencies.

But let's say Erkel and his side kick were not in office and some altruistic individual such as myself (horn tooting) were there instead. What would three more members do?

Exactly Linda!

When the BOE members extended Williams' contract, they damn well DESERVED to be removed. And they were, quite properly, through an election. The last think i want to see is a board taking such an unconscionable step and then being insulated from any consequence.

I've thought about running for school board...but my district rep is doing a fine job, and I've no reason to want to displace him. Plus, I simply haven't the first idea how to run any kind of campaign.

Your first paragraph was right on the money. Who's fault is it? Did you ever take a look at the percentage of voters who come out for a school board election in Buffalo? They may have deserved to be removed but not enough people made the effort to do it.
    Only Hernandez voted not to keep Williams, and he was rightfully returned to office. Three Newcomers joined him and they don't always rubber stamp. In fact it's quite the opposite.
    But because these four raise questions and the board isn't a rubber stamp they are now a "Bickering Board" according to the media. Local news's, print, radio and TV, haven't picked up on, or are ignoring, the fact that these four are doing what they were voted in to do.
    I have to think, since Wilmer's brought Dr. Williams in, that they are ignoring it. It seems that if the only way to silence the four that are not in lockstep is to sacrifice the whole board than so be it.
    It's always about damage control in this town. It is also about manipulation of the press and politicians so a select few can call the shots. That's why the media hated Griffin. He didn't play by the rules.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    They are in the pockets of who ever can buy them, which is worse. They do not make decision for the betterment of the city, rather for the betterment of their power grabbing selfish tendencies.

But let's say Erkel and his side kick were not in office and some altruistic individual such as myself (horn tooting) were there instead. What would three more members do?
    your first sentence is right , but right now the unions are not buying into him anymore , which should? make a lot of anti-union people here happy , why aren't they happy ?

www.onlinebuffalo.com

Color Blind?

If you note the support of Williams...the support is almost always along racial lines. Not that this is a racist accusation..but it seems that the african american school board members, always seem to "STAND BY THEIR MAN" even when he is not an effective leader on some very important "issues". Taking responsibility for one's choices //or actions should be a prerequisite for all board members..right or wrong.
    Yes Hernandez is outspoken..but he seems to have a very practical sense of right from wrong..where as it seems to be lacking in Williams' , his allies/supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by joe d.
    If you note the support of Williams...the support is almost always along racial lines. Not that this is a racist accusation..but it seems that the african american school board members, always seem to "STAND BY THEIR MAN" even when he is not an effective leader on some very important "issues". Taking responsibility for one's choices //or actions should be a prerequisite for all board members..right or wrong.
    Yes Hernandez is outspoken..but he seems to have a very practical sense of right from wrong..where as it seems to be lacking in Williams' , his allies/supporters.
    Hernandez seems to fall into dis-favor for speaking his mind.........he won't play "patty-cakes" with the other board members , good qualities in a school board member...........

www.onlinebuffalo.com

Quote Originally Posted by joe d.
    From what I understand Pamela Cahill,who is not white, is not a 100%, no questions asked supporter of Dr. Williams.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

A quick, partially off topic, suggestion

Why not merge the school board vote into the regular election? Why have a separate one? Not only does this cost money, but it decreases turnout.

Is there a good reason why it has to be held on a different day? I say put it on the November ballots.

Quote Originally Posted by MoreOfTheSame
    Why not merge the school board vote into the regular election? Why have a separate one? Not only does this cost money, but it decreases turnout.

Is there a good reason why it has to be held on a different day? I say put it on the November ballots.
    School board elections and budget votes are held in May because of the desire to separate them from "politics". I suspect that this goes back to the Progressive Era (1890-1920) when reformers tried to change what they saw as the "evils" of politics with structural government reforms (ie, adding initiatives and referendums to state constitutions; changing to city manager forms of city government; direct election of US senators, etc). This was a national movement, not just a local one.

A more practical reason for having school board and school budget elections in May is that that is after the state budget has been passed (supposedly) and the schools have a good idea of how much state aid they will get. State aid has a big impact on whether, or how much, local school taxes increase. In fact, a few years ago when the state budget wasn't settled until July, school districts had a very difficult time setting their budgets, and many ended up with contingency budgets because they had no idea what the governor and legislature were going to do.

Finally, since it's the schools that run the school board and school budget elections not the county Board of Elections, there wouldn't be any monetary savings by holding them in November. There are different criteria for voting in school elections than in the municipal and state elections, too, as voters in school elections don't have to be registered voters, but they do have to be "stakeholders" in the schools, either property owners or parents of children in the school district (I think).
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

There's also the fact that it's easier (and more fair) to assess the worthiness of a school board legislator after the full school year's body of work. Also, it would be difficult for the best of accountants to project a budget a full year or more out, especially when (as Linda pointed out) the amount of outside aid you may receive is a huge variable.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Thread Information