Thread: We dont trust the voters in Williamsville!

We dont trust the voters in Williamsville!

I saw on the news that the Williamsville town board voted down a motion to sent to referundum a proposal to reduce the town board by two people.

Whether it should be reduced or not isn't the point---it's another example of the voters not getting a chance to make the decision. If politicians actually cared about their constituents, they should allow them a say in matters such as this.

(Another example: County Legislature not allowing us to vote on regional government a few years ago.)

This is another practice that has to stop. Voters must be allowed to make decisions about their government!
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150
    I saw on the news that the Williamsville town board voted down a motion to sent to referundum a proposal to reduce the town board by two people.

Whether it should be reduced or not isn't the point---it's another example of the voters not getting a chance to make the decision. If politicians actually cared about their constituents, they should allow them a say in matters such as this.

(Another example: County Legislature not allowing us to vote on regional government a few years ago.)

This is another practice that has to stop. Voters must be allowed to make decisions about their government!
    Yeah, this seems very 'anti democratic' not to even give the people a chance to vote on their representative government. Self serving for the town board members.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    SO are you all going to go and complain. Scare them a little and yell?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    SO are you all going to go and complain. Scare them a little and yell?

I don't live in Williamsville, so I can't. The people of Williamsville should, though.

The one guy had a point.

3 people would not be productive. Going to 3 is not a viable option.

Folding the entire village into the town is. But if the 5k want to pay for it, let them pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    The one guy had a point.

3 people would not be productive. Going to 3 is not a viable option.

Folding the entire village into the town is. But if the 5k want to pay for it, let them pay for it.

That's what I was thinking too.

Trustee Kingsley's ideas are being wasted on the Village Board

It has been become readily apparent to me that we need Trustee Kingsley on the amherst town board. From what I heard from village department heads regarding the village budget, he was responsible for 90-95 percent of the cuts. The adopted budget created a tax cut for the first time in over 25 years in the village.

His abilities are truly being wasted on the Village board who seem incapable of true change (he wants the village to get rid of their own water and sewer departments as well as other consolidating ideas but he has no support).

With Kingsley and Dr. Barry working together - Amherst residents might have a REAL shot at change.

Quote Originally Posted by thevilleinsider
    It has been become readily apparent to me that we need Trustee Kingsley on the amherst town board. From what I heard from village department heads regarding the village budget, he was responsible for 90-95 percent of the cuts. The adopted budget created a tax cut for the first time in over 25 years in the village.

His abilities are truly being wasted on the Village board who seem incapable of true change (he wants the village to get rid of their own water and sewer departments as well as other consolidating ideas but he has no support).

With Kingsley and Dr. Barry working together - Amherst residents might have a REAL shot at change.
    So, you're what -- Kingsley's PR guy?

Give it a rest. He's not a god. He'll encounter all the same roadblocks no matter what level of government he aspires to and he won't even work that hard to stop them. He doesn't have to. The majority will roll over him, allowing him the luxury of saying he wanted tax cuts and/or reform without having to suffer the reality of it.
    Ask Dr. Barry about that. He had the luxury of voting against tax increases as a county legislator because he knew they would pass anyway. And let us not forget that when he was on the Williamsville School Board, he approved some HUGH tax increases.

I'm wondering who would have been gone if the village board had decreased in size. I'm sure Kingsley had no intention of it being him, although I think he would have allowed himself a small smile if it had been Mayor Lowther.

Politics. That measure was all politics. Kingsley would never have championed it if he thought it would mean he was out of office.

I actually like both Kingsley and Dr. Barry. Really, I do. But I really don't like whoever you are shilling for them here. Take it somewhere else. We aim for the best honesty we can here. PR guys belong somewhere else.
    Last edited by atotaltotalfan2001; April 19th, 2008 at 05:47 PM.

Referendums

Just because someone has an idea to change the local government does not mean it should be put to a vote. What the town or village needs is the right to petition. If a petition with 20% (just a figure) of the voters in the last general election is presented to the TB then there should be a provision for the issue to be placed on the next election ballot for the citizens to vote on. That's the only way that makes sense and will truly reflect the will of the majority of the voters (emphasis on voters). There are many ideas floated about that sound good but when reduced to the written word, they are shallow.
    dono

Quote Originally Posted by Dvoakley
    Just because someone has an idea to change the local government does not mean it should be put to a vote. What the town or village needs is the right to petition. If a petition with 20% (just a figure) of the voters in the last general election is presented to the TB then there should be a provision for the issue to be placed on the next election ballot for the citizens to vote on. That's the only way that makes sense and will truly reflect the will of the majority of the voters (emphasis on voters). There are many ideas floated about that sound good but when reduced to the written word, they are shallow.
    Excellent point. I know members of the general public can collect signatures to put something on the ballot when it regards the school district. But can they do it for village and/or town issues?

Does anyone here know?

Have we lowered ourselves to such a point where some people try to quell anyone who actually see some hope in some of our local politicans, regardless of who it is. I mean why not try to hope for something better - if not - what is the point of discussing any issue in Williamsville or Amherst. I know we in Buffalo like to complain about everything but what good is it if we cannot talk about whomever or whatever gives us some hope. Why not move then?

Sorry to harp on this but as far as the resolution to downsize goes, after being there the first time the resolution was put forth, there was an actual chance that the resolution to downsize was going to go (with Trustees Geary and Kulpa looking to allow the public to vote on it) and the Mayor looked scared. That is why Mayor Lowther asked to delay the vote questioning the legality (despite the fact that the village of lancaster and town of amherst already voted on it). Two weeks and most likely several behind-the-scenes moves later (including stacking the audience), the board didn't second it. So it had, at one point, an actual chance to go.

In reading the article in the paper, it was clear that true motive in pushing the resolution was to consider Village downsizing at all levels, starting at the top. Isn't that what any employee wants to see, having the boss put his position on the line along with all the other employees when downsizing occurs. Why ask the residents to go around with a petition when they were not there when the presentation about downsizing took place (a ploy by most if not all of the local governments)? And if you really think that Kingsley, who I believe is an attorney in a large law firm, needs the job or money - I think you are truly mistaken. And if you are thinking about it politically, what better way to get elected to a "more important" position than allow yourself to be downsized.
    Last edited by thevilleinsider; April 20th, 2008 at 10:25 AM.

I thought the United States was a Republic, and not a Democracy?

your point is what? While yes it is true in the hyper-technical sense that we are a republic, but when have we ever considered ourselves a republic in the past 150 years. we are a democracy.

But feel free to use the "republic" aspect as a defense to prevent the voters from excercising their opinion. I am sure that it is a winner of an argument.

Thread Information