Thread: We need to convince Village Trustee Kingsley to run for Town of Amherst Board

We need to convince Village Trustee Kingsley to run for Town of Amherst Board

I am a village resident and it has become readily apparent that Trustee Kingsley's ideas of cutting taxes without services (from what I heard from village department heads, he was responsible for 90-95 of the cuts), merging the water and sewer departments in with Erie County, and downsizing the board are being wasted in a Village Government so incapable for TRUE change.

I think Trustee Kingsley should run for Town Board. Hopefully with Dr. Barry and Kingsley, Amherst/Williamsville residents can finally see REAL change.

The only problem is that the rumor is that Trustee Kingsley is beocming too frustrated to run for another position. We need to let him know that we need him and his ideas to continue to take root in this community.

We truly need to support local politicans that are challenging the establishment for us.

Quote Originally Posted by thevilleinsider
    I am a village resident and it has become readily apparent that Trustee Kingsley's ideas of cutting taxes without services (from what I heard from village department heads, he was responsible for 90-95 of the cuts), merging the water and sewer departments in with Erie County, and downsizing the board are being wasted in a Village Government so incapable for TRUE change.

I think Trustee Kingsley should run for Town Board. Hopefully with Dr. Barry and Kingsley, Amherst/Williamsville residents can finally see REAL change.

The only problem is that the rumor is that Trustee Kingsley is beocming too frustrated to run for another position. We need to let him know that we need him and his ideas to continue to take root in this community.

We truly need to support local politicans that are challenging the establishment for us.
    Not a double hit apparently a triple hit. Apologies!!!!!
    Last edited by mikewrona; April 19th, 2008 at 04:24 PM.

I am a village resident and it has become readily apparent that Trustee Kingsley's ideas of cutting taxes without services (from what I heard from village department heads, he was responsible for 90-95 of the cuts), merging the water and sewer departments in with Erie County, and downsizing the board are being wasted in a Village Government so incapable for TRUE change.I think Trustee Kingsley should run for Town Board.* Hopefully with Dr. Barry and Kingsley, Amherst/Williamsville residents can finally see REAL change.The only problem is that the rumor is that Trustee Kingsley is beocming too frustrated to run for another position.* We need to let him know that we need him and his ideas to continue to take root in this community.* We truly need to support local politicans that are challenging the establishment for us.
    Oops, double hit the enter key!!

That's a great idea. And very dramatic. You can cut a lot of taxes by merging the Village of Williamsville into the town of Amherst. Williamsville disappears as a government but remains as an area of Amherst.

You would not have to pay for the Village Mayor, Village Board, Village Dept, of Public Works, Village Hall, Village Court, Village Building Dept., etc.

Very definitely your taxes would come down. And you would not lose any services because Amherst has those departments in place to take over.

Get Kingsley and Barry on it.

Thank you Mrs. Kingsley

Quote Originally Posted by mikewrona
    That's a great idea. And very dramatic. You can cut a lot of taxes by merging the Village of Williamsville into the town of Amherst. Williamsville disappears as a government but remains as an area of Amherst.

You would not have to pay for the Village Mayor, Village Board, Village Dept, of Public Works, Village Hall, Village Court, Village Building Dept., etc.

Very definitely your taxes would come down. And you would not lose any services because Amherst has those departments in place to take over.

Get Kingsley and Barry on it.

Thank you Mrs. Kingsley
    I live in the village of Williamsville and I think it should be abolished as a government -- except for the power of land use. Amherst town is crazy -- those guys would allow any old kind of development in the village. And the village doesn't need that if it hopes to retain any of its last vestiges of historic and/or village charm.

Trust me on this. I've dealt with land use issues in the village before and having a very small government made it so much easier. Village trustees were so much more receptive than a larger government would be.

I disagree. The VIllage has this "exceptional development" provision in the code where the village board decides "important" issues of land use. It allows politics and subjective standards to supercede substance.

There is a one exceptional development going on right now at 122 N. Cayuga and it just one big political nightmare.

I disagree. The VIllage has this "exceptional development" provision in the code where the village board decides "important" issues of land use. It allows politics and subjective standards to supercede substance.

There is a one exceptional development going on right now at 122 N. Cayuga and it just one big political nightmare.
    Really? Yikes. As a village resident, I'm asking you please to supply some details.

But keep one thing in mind: Every level of government has something like an "exceptional development" provision. And politics always ends up playing a role. And that always ends up being someone's version of a "political nightmare."

No exceptions.

What I've learned is that the smaller the level of government that decides land-use issues, the better. The Village of Williamsville has something less than 6,000 residents. I don't know anyone who gives a hang about most village services. But they do care about land use issues -- and the town of Amherst scares them to death. Think about it. Can you blame them? I watch the Amherst Town Board pretty closely, and those people -- including the town supervisor -- are so out of touch it's shocking.

For some reason, you're shilling for Trustee Kingsley. He's seems like an okay guy. But how invested in Williamsville is he?

He's young. He's intelligent, in his way. But I think he has the illusion that the Williamsville Village Board will be a springboard to bigger things -- just like you!

We don't need that kind of hubris.

I think we are talking about two different things when we talk about "exceptional development". The Village has this procedure where it becomes the ultimate decider of certain "important" land use issues (putting aside the compenent professionals on the planning board and zoning board to weigh in). Moreover, I have read the exceptional development provision and there is NO standard. Which means that each board member can put forth his or her own standard in deciding where or not a development moves forward. It doesn't have to follow any codes or rules. Which means no uniformity at all - entirely subjective and entirely political. I believe Williamsville is one of a handful of communities in New York that has this execeptional development still in place. It must go but the Mayor and other old-timers on the board still want and crave the power and attention of that provision.

as far as Mr. Kingsley is concerned, I have lived in williamsville for some time now and while i perhaps have taken a sip from his "kool-aid", I think he has brought hope to me that we can change it. He already has in some respects, for example he put forth a resolution eliminating using committees for politics, reduced the board's influence at planning boards and zoning board of appeals, and he put forth a resolution which placed the village budget on the web for viewing. And he is not afraid of calling out the entire board when they make a bone headed decision - do you recall when he ripped the board a new one when the mayor authorized giving the old adminstrator over $72,000 via direct deposit without making sure the numbers were right last summer. I guess you have a very high standard for politicans if kingsley is just doing ok. Perhaps he is bit full of himself at times, but have you met a lawyer who isn't. I look past it.

As far as any dillusions of something greater, I ask that you just talk with him before you pass judgment. I did and perhaps that is why I am big supporter. he is neither a registered republican or democrat (which means it is extremely difficult, if not impossible after mohan dibacle, to run for higher office) and he is far more likely to resign to tend to his family and legal career than seek another position. Perhaps that is why I and a few others are "shilling" for him I guess, because he might help all of us in some respect. You are right, he might not but at least there is a chance and that is much much better than 99 percent of the politicans out there right now.

I thought this was the forum to talk about politicans and issues, good and bad. If i am wrong, I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    I live in the village of Williamsville and I think it should be abolished as a government -- except for the power of land use. Amherst town is crazy -- those guys would allow any old kind of development in the village. And the village doesn't need that if it hopes to retain any of its last vestiges of historic and/or village charm.

Trust me on this. I've dealt with land use issues in the village before and having a very small government made it so much easier. Village trustees were so much more receptive than a larger government would be.
    That puts us back to square one. Nothing changes because no one is willing to change.

All these places have one government. Erie County has 35+

Population 7/1/2005

New York, N.Y. 8,143,197
    Los Angeles, Calif. 3,844,829
    Chicago, Ill. 2,842,518
    Houston, Tex. 2,016,582
    Philadelphia, Pa. 1,463,281
    Phoenix, Ariz. 1,461,575
    San Antonio, Tex. 1,256,509
    San Diego, Calif. 1,255,540
    Dallas, Tex. 1,213,825
    Erie County, NY 921,390
    San Jose, Calif. 912,332
    Detroit, Mich. 886,671
    Indianapolis, Ind. 784,118
    Jacksonville, Fla. 782,623
    San Francisco, Calif. 739,426
    Columbus, Ohio 730,657
    Austin, Tex. 690,252
    Memphis, Tenn. 672,277
    Baltimore, Md. 635,815
    Fort Worth, Tex. 624,067
    Charlotte, N.C. 610,949

I think when you get right down to it, the people of the county want 35 governments, but, only want to pay taxes for 1. An impossible scenario.

I think we are talking about two different things when we talk about "exceptional development". The Village has this procedure where it becomes the ultimate decider of certain "important" land use issues (putting aside the compenent professionals on the planning board and zoning board to weigh in). Moreover, I have read the exceptional development provision and there is NO standard. Which means that each board member can put forth his or her own standard in deciding where or not a development moves forward. It doesn't have to follow any codes or rules. Which means no uniformity at all - entirely subjective and entirely political. I believe Williamsville is one of a handful of communities in New York that has this execeptional development still in place. It must go but the Mayor and other old-timers on the board still want and crave the power and attention of that provision.

as far as Mr. Kingsley is concerned, I have lived in williamsville for some time now and while i perhaps have taken a sip from his "kool-aid", I think he has brought hope to me that we can change it. He already has in some respects, for example he put forth a resolution eliminating using committees for politics, reduced the board's influence at planning boards and zoning board of appeals, and he put forth a resolution which placed the village budget on the web for viewing. And he is not afraid of calling out the entire board when they make a bone headed decision - do you recall when he ripped the board a new one when the mayor authorized giving the old adminstrator over $72,000 via direct deposit without making sure the numbers were right last summer. I guess you have a very high standard for politicans if kingsley is just doing ok. Perhaps he is bit full of himself at times, but have you met a lawyer who isn't. I look past it.

As far as any dillusions of something greater, I ask that you just talk with him before you pass judgment. I did and perhaps that is why I am big supporter. he is neither a registered republican or democrat (which means it is extremely difficult, if not impossible after mohan dibacle, to run for higher office) and he is far more likely to resign to tend to his family and legal career than seek another position. Perhaps that is why I and a few others are "shilling" for him I guess, because he might help all of us in some respect. You are right, he might not but at least there is a chance and that is much much better than 99 percent of the politicians out there right now.

I thought this was the forum to talk about politicans and issues, good and bad. If i am wrong, I apologize.
    You came on board and promoted a gentleman for Town Board as a potential partner of a current town board member who helped bankrupt Erie County through exercising bad judgment in his support of 5 consecutive County Budgets.

It looked like you were sending up up a trial balloon rather than opening an issue.

And to be up front with you, I am partisan and do not believe Barry belongs on the town board because of his ineptness as a county legislator. His claim to fame is that he doesn't vote for tax increase, but he certainly knew how to spend money the county didn't have, running up the county debt, then running away to hide behind his "I don't vote to raise taxes theme" so he doesn't do any of the dirty work --- like cleaning up after himself. He's an I want it both ways opportunist kind of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by mikewrona
    You came on board and promoted a gentleman for Town Board as a potential partner of a current town board member who helped bankrupt Erie County through exercising bad judgment in his support of 5 consecutive County Budgets.

It looked like you were sending up up a trial balloon rather than opening an issue.

And to be up front with you, I am partisan and do not believe Barry belongs on the town board because of his ineptness as a county legislator. His claim to fame is that he doesn't vote for tax increase, but he certainly knew how to spend money the county didn't have, running up the county debt, then running away to hide behind his "I don't vote to raise taxes theme" so he doesn't do any of the dirty work --- like cleaning up after himself. He's an I want it both ways opportunist kind of guy.
    Your just jealous that an "inept" guy kicked your butt when you ran against him......

partisan? hahahaha, ya dont say?

Thevilleinsider, What is the story at 122 N. Cayuga????
    "In valor there is hope" -Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by crabapples
    Your just jealous that an "inept" guy kicked your butt when you ran against him......

partisan? hahahaha, ya dont say?
    Well, I'd say inept or apathetic(both are atrocious in government)...I've heard he has yet to change his office signs from Erie Co. Legislator(sp) to Town Board Member. Check his office, the one next to SS. Peter and Paul's Church.
    "All government, -indeed, every human benefit and enjoyment, every virtue and every prudent act,- is founded on compromise..." -Edmund Burke
    A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910), (attributed)
    Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004 George W. Bush

122 N. Cayuga

as far as I know about 122, the board is looking to vote on this exceptional development issue soon (within the month), the perceived problem is what they are voting on: the reason it is before the board is to subdivide a parcel (which seems simple) but the code reads that the development (which, in my opinion, looks good because it will be two nice townhouses) will have to be approved by the board without only relying on initial drawings.

as Kingsley (oops, sorry for bringing him up -lol) pointed out in the last work session, the problem is that if the board approves the deal then they will have to include every small detail into the resolution including the size of the driveway, frontage, greenspace, etc. The resolution might be several pages and places a very heavy burden on the part-time building guy to come up with all the potential issues for the board before the vote. One detail that is missing, the developer is free to do what they want.

For example, I recall the Walgreens project, the other recent exceptional developement project that went through, and the board wanted a no left hand turn signal on Main street. well, because of the length of the resolution approving the deal, the resolution did not include that detail. As such, the developer was under no obligation to do so. The Village Traffic and safety committee just informed the board that since walgreens, there has been 41 accidents involving left hand turns on main. The board was able to finally correct it by placing it on the right-of-way but still - 41 accidents.

In the meantime, the mayor seems dead against it (and in typical fashion is allegedly assisting the NIMBY (not-in-my-back-yard) folk to condemn the project at the hearing) with the others on the board unknown at this point (although trustee geary always seems to favor development).

this 122 N. Cayuga issue has been kicking around the village for close to two years. it is crazy and it is truly a waste of resources to have such a subjective and inadequate standard in place for these land use issues. perhaps it is better than Amherst as one blogger suggest, but if so I feel sorry for Amherst then.

Thread Information