Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Baby Bottles Potentially Harmful to Health

Plastic Baby Bottles Potentially Harmful to Health

I heard this on NPR driving home. Great! One more thing to worry about my son!

Michael D. Shelby, director of the Center for the Evaluation of Risks to Human Reproduction, says a report on the safety of Bisphenonal A, a chemical used in some plastics, finds it might cause cancer, early puberty and neural and behavioral changes.
    Article is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron O'Brian

Article is here.
    aaron , read the book or just peruse through it regarding plastics : "Detoxify Or Die" by Sherry A Rogers , M.D. Pretty awesome , maybe you can just check it out surfin' the 'net w/out having to buy it or review via amazon.com...................
    Nothing gold can stay...............

www.onlinebuffalo.com

Quote Originally Posted by winfield31
    aaron , read the book or just peruse through it regarding plastics : "Detoxify Or Die" by Sherry A Rogers , M.D. Pretty awesome , maybe you can just check it out surfin' the 'net w/out having to buy it or review via amazon.com...................
    I'll have to check it out, thanks!

I don't know if they are included but I used the Playtex bottles with the plastic liners that went inside the plastic bottle frame. I know they said that the chemicals leeched from hard plastic bottles but haven't heard anything about the Playtex ones.

Here is the website of the bottles. Hope maybe this helps.
    http://www.playtexproductsinc.com/in...ser_liners.jpg
    Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you can do. Attitude determines how well you can do it. - Lou Holtz

Plastic bottles emit toxins. Breast best...glass non porous.That goes for wine too. That's why we don't bottle wine in plastic. ;-)
    (Which doesn't explain the boxed wine... but that doesn't count)

Look at the studies the panel reviewed. Mostly animal studies and the data there is *weak*. Spurious reporting designed to fear-monger.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron O'Brian

Article is here.
    Don't worry about your son. Hopefully your parenting insticts tell u what is good or bad for your child. Ever wonder how we made it through childhood? With lead paint, no bottled water,no seatblts....etc. Don't be a book or study parent. Let your child have fun. The way I look at it, If i survived childhood so will my kids. Kids these days are so protected. (this from a father of a very active 2 yr old boy who wasnt breastfed!!!)

Plastic bottles cause abnornally high estrogen levels in males! That might not necessarily mean your son could become a homosexual, but if his testosterone level becomes lower than what is instinctive he'll lose motivation, girls wont be interested in him, and he'll end up depressed if not bipolar.

Its not a bad idea to also try and keep your son out of public schools because all they have to do is declare that they believe your son has more testosterone than their policy allows, and they'll make you pay a doctor to load him up on drugs so he will behave like a little girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie
    Look at the studies the panel reviewed. Mostly animal studies and the data there is *weak*. Spurious reporting designed to fear-monger.
    Where did you find the data? The only thing I found was here and here.

Look here. It's a bit wordy (~400 pages, but after a few minutes you get the hang of it). Around pg130 or so. Anyhow, dosages and studies were weak in my estimation.

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLBAGS
    Don't worry about your son. Hopefully your parenting insticts tell u what is good or bad for your child. Ever wonder how we made it through childhood? With lead paint, no bottled water,no seatblts....etc. Don't be a book or study parent. Let your child have fun. The way I look at it, If i survived childhood so will my kids. Kids these days are so protected. (this from a father of a very active 2 yr old boy who wasnt breastfed!!!)
    I find it ironic (if not somewhat telling) that those who pass such warnings off as so much fluff (and this is not necessarily leveled at you TB) are the same ones who complain that there seems to be cognitive dissonance between what the public sees and what they understand and react to in terms of our government.

Basically on one hand it's: "our generation was brought up that way and we have no problems..."
    then, on the other hand, it's: Why are people so dumb? They don't seem to understand..."
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

I agree! We survived childhood without seat belts, bike helmets, etc., and to top it off.......I grew up in Niagara Falls during the 70's!!!! (Can you say Love Canal???????) and for the most part, I am fine!
    Politics is more difficult than physics
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    I find it ironic (if not somewhat telling) that those who pass such warnings off as so much fluff (and this is not necessarily leveled at you TB) are the same ones who complain that there seems to be cognitive dissonance between what the public sees and what they understand and react to in terms of our government.

Basically on one hand it's: "our generation was brought up that way and we have no problems..."
    then, on the other hand, it's: Why are people so dumb? They don't seem to understand..."
    I dont complain about much of anything, exspecially on a message board. If somthing bothers me(very little does) I do somthing personally to change it. I dont blame the rest of the world/country for stuff that upsets/bothers/erks me. I take reponsibility and correct it. Life is to short to bi1ch and moan. I just think kids are to babied. We are raising a country full of sue happy whiners and this study probably on a lawsuit attached to it somewhere...(but im not complaining...... )
    Last edited by TOOLBAGS; April 18th, 2008 at 10:48 AM.

Phthalates in plastics

I was breastfed as a child and it seemed fun enough! So much for parental bonding. Kids need more protection today because it's a different world now.
    It seems as though you're shrugging off known dangers as inconveniences.
    Our environment it much more polluted now than it ever was and we're living with more and more untested chemicals.

FACT:1 in 4 of us will get cancer in our lifetimes.
    FACT: There is an epidemic of childhood disease in this country.
    FACT: Nearly 90 million people - about one-third of the population below the age of 65 spent a portion of either 2006 or 2007 without health coverage.

One class of chemicals that show up in high levels in children and adults are known as phthalates. These are plasticizers, the softening agents found in many plastic bottles, kitchenware, toys, medical devices, personal care products and cosmetics. In lab animals, phthalates have been associated with reproductive defects, obesity and early puberty.

Read about it here:
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science...den/index.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information