Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colecraft: The Epic Saga Continues...(Epically Stupid)

Colecraft: The Epic Saga Continues...(Epically Stupid)

From the SUWNY Front Page Article

Sale of Colecraft building encouraged by Lancaster Town Board
    By Lee Chowaniec

At Monday evening’s work session, Supervisor Robert Giza informed Town Board members that he had received a call from a company interested in leasing part of the Colecraft building (police facility) at 3949 Walden Avenue.

Purchased by the Town in 2003 to house the newly combined Lancaster Town and Village police forces, the Colecraft building has not been refurbished and currently houses only the Detective Squad.
    After spending tens of thousands of extra dollars on studies-after the purchase.

Giza said the interested company employs 30-40 workers. He said that he had promised the company representative that he would bring it to the attention of the board. “We still need space for the detectives and storage.”
    Will the "interested company" receive anything from the LIDA?

What is being stored there-besides detectives?

Giza said that that a building tour was conducted. “They liked the building, but no price had been discussed.” If the board members were not interested, he would make that known to the interested party.

Councilman Dan Amatura asked whether they were interested in buying the building.
    He voiced concerns on how the detectives would react should the building be shared.
    They (police) are pressuring us for a central location, but like I said I don’t think they would be too happy sharing a building.
    Why should we be pimping out part of the police building to pay for the mistakes of idiots? Wouldn't look too good would it? It's kind of like having Joe's Hospital and Bait Shoppe.

Council members Donna Stempniak and Ronald Ruffino also seemed cool to the idea of leasing part of the building. They suggested Giza pursue selling the building.
    They also voted to buy it in the first place, didn't they?

Giza did say that he mentioned to the interested party on what the town had paid for the building and what they would want.
    So, then he must want to sell it too. Do you think they told him he was stupid for buying it in the first place?

Ruffino declared that he appreciated the sensitivity, but that perhaps the interested party might be interested in purchasing the building and renting the other half out.
    I hope the "interested company does a feasibility study first. Unlike...well, you know...

Discussion then ensued on the process that would have to be followed to sell the building – formally putting it up for bid, like the library sale.
    Wait... Giza was having a discussion about price and what the town would want for the building a few sentences earlier. Is the Supervisor not familiar with the process?

Ruffino interjected that there are things to consider and also lamented that the building was price effective because of what it had been purchased for in 2003 and what it would have cost to refurbish the building for shortly thereafter.
    Price effective?????? You'd think that for what was paid for the feasibiity studies that he would have had the decency to read them.

“Now, are we looking at building another one,” Ruffino questioned. He voiced concerns on what that cost would involve.
    Note to town board/banker guy: It would have been cheaper to build five years ago.

Amatura responded that they would be looking at building new if the town owned the property it would be located on. “That would lower the costs.”
    If the town owns the land already, otherwise it would need to be purchased, wouldn't it?

The Colecraft building was purchased in 2003 for $1.6 million. The town bonded for $1.9, using the difference to purchase the building furniture available.
    This area has a real jones for furniture.
    The town is currently paying $60,000 in yearly interest fees on the police-building bond in addition to whatever involved building energy and repair costs there are.

Resident opposes leasing

At the 2-09-08 Town Board meeting, resident Dan Beutler asked then on the status of the Colecraft building. “I heard rumors that you are interested in selling it. Are you selling it?”

Supervisor Robert Giza responded: “I’ll be honest with you. I had one party interested in purchasing it. I wasn’t against it.”
    Then why did he buy it?

Giza went on to say that there is some property available on Pavement Road, up in front by the Psyche Center to build a police station. “When Former Police Chief Fowler was in office, he didn’t think it was big enough to put a police station in.”

“Current Police Chief Gary Stoldt, one of his Captain’s and I looked at it and we think we could build a nice police station there and use the current police building for storage, which is a couple feet away from there.”
    Here's an idea, how about finding a parcel where everything could go? Then sell the current parcel to a McMansion developer. Come to think of it, if they hadn't overdeveloped the town so fast, there would have been an adequate sized parcel available. You snooze you lose.

Giza told Beutler that as recently as a couple of days ago, there was a person that wants to lease it for ten years. “If that were the case, we would recover all, if not more, than the money we paid for the building in seven to ten years. That’s were we are right now.”
    Is it seven, or is it ten? After all of this, it seems he's still not doing the math.

Beutler voiced concerns even then regarding the leasing of the building. “The town owns the building and doesn’t pay property taxes. Will the party leasing the building be exempt from paying the $200,000 yearly property taxes that are due? That would be $2 million over ten years!”
    As mentioned before, would it be a gift from the LIDA?

Beutler takes the same stance today and adds, “Truth be told, many residents favored the construction of a new build when the police forces were merged in 2003."

"They voiced opposition to the purchase of a warehouse that would need costly repairs and replacements; estimated anywhere from $9 million to $11 million according to the feasibility studies performed several years ago.”

"The police should have been in a new building years ago. But hey, they don’t listen to the residents anyhow.”
    They listen, they just don't hear.

If the detectives are willing to share the building, I'm still looking for a location to open my gay bathhouse. Would it fit the zoning? (that's a joke-they don't deny rezones in Lancaster) Maybe I should call Marrano about the Neighborhood Business zone too?

Come on Bob, let's open the bidding and paint this town pink!

"It's a perfect example of you need to get out and vote because all your votes count".
    Mark Montour- Democratic, Republican, Independence, Conservative and Working Families parties candidate for Lancaster Town Justice

"I don't think it was luck" -Donna Stempniak, unopposed candidate for Lancaster Town Council on winning re-election.

It would be interesting if someone put together a little cost study on how much was spent on the building so far.

I wonder who has that information?

Should the cost study include the legal cost of defending themselves against the law suit for the cost study they voted for. You know, the cost study to determine if it would be cheaper to build a new police station, buy the village hall and convert it to a police station, or renovate the walden avenue building for a police station. The cost study they voted to do, after they bought the colecraft building to be used as a police station. The lawsuit that their insurance company wouldn't pay for because it held board members "personally liable" for their wise decision.

Should that cost be included in considering the overall expense of the colecraft building to taxpayers.

What about the costs for the roof repairs, the incidental costs for pumping the water out of the building this winter, lost property tax revenue, and on, and on, and on.

Yep. All things considered, this building was a real bargain for taxpayers.

Originally Posted by gshowell

Should the cost study include the legal cost of defending themselves against the law suit for the cost study they voted for. You know, the cost study to determine if it would be cheaper to build a new police station, buy the village hall and convert it to a police station, or renovate the walden avenue building for a police station. The cost study they voted to do, after they bought the colecraft building to be used as a police station. The lawsuit that their insurance company wouldn't pay for because it held board members "personally liable" for their wise decision.

Should that cost be included in considering the overall expense of the colecraft building to taxpayers.

What about the costs for the roof repairs, the incidental costs for pumping the water out of the building this winter, lost property tax revenue, and on, and on, and on.
    Do you mean the lawsuit that was used as excuse by town board/banker guy for not doing some of the things you just mentioned as well as other things?

"It's a perfect example of you need to get out and vote because all your votes count".
    Mark Montour- Democratic, Republican, Independence, Conservative and Working Families parties candidate for Lancaster Town Justice

"I don't think it was luck" -Donna Stempniak, unopposed candidate for Lancaster Town Council on winning re-election.

Quote Originally Posted by Foot Fungus
    Do you mean the lawsuit that was used as excuse by town board/banker guy for not doing some of the things you just mentioned as well as other things?

Yeah, that lawsuit. The one that, while it was in progress, the town board said it prevented it from doing anything with the building. After those pursuing the suit ran out of money and the suit died, the town board admitted the suit did not prevent them from doing anything with the building because the suit wasn't against the purchase of the building but against the cost study they did, after they purchased the building.

Yeah, that lawsuit.

It's amazing how much money was spent on this with so little return on investment, yet news coverage was non-existent. Why?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    That would make for an excellent story. To point out how money is spent without thinking if there's a value to what they are spending

Originally Posted by WNYresident

That would make for an excellent story. To point out how money is spent without thinking if there's a value to what they are spending
    Especially when it is a rather large sum of taxpayer dollars that were spent to some extent without public knowledge.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    NOt that I can't go look but what do we all think is the total sum wasted over this entire project INCLUDING the loss tax revenue the building was producing?

Wink The cost is mounting dailey !

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    NOt that I can't go look but what do we all think is the total sum wasted over this entire project INCLUDING the loss tax revenue the building was producing?
    The list of monies spent are millions and that no joke. Look at the cost of the building $1,900,000.00 , studies sorry rubber stamping inspections est. $60,000.00 cost of the suit $25,000.00 lost of taxes from town roles was est. at $200,000.00 per year since 2003 is est. $1,000.000.00 and don't forget the school taxes around $60,000.00 per year for 5 years $300,000.00 and don't for get the fixing of the roof around $50,000.00 and interest for the loan for the purchase again $50,000.00 for my est cost to the taxpayers of Lancaster are and I stress est. $3,445,000.00. This has been Giza's follie and the rest of the idot's that vote for it the new judge Montour, Miss Stemp. and the yes guy from the bank Ronny the boy wonder Ruffino. this selling of the building is a joke and everyone knows it and Beutler and the rest of the guys that suited the Town were correct and it's to late for the Taxpayers. Giza and the rest of them fools harrassed they people that suit should have their names on the corner stone of the next police station and under the sign say ( to the men that stood up for the taxpayers and against the crooked politicals to get this building built.)

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye
    Look at the cost of the building $1,900,000.00 , studies sorry rubber stamping inspections est. $60,000.00 cost of the suit $25,000.00 lost of taxes from town roles was est. at $200,000.00 per year since 2003 is est. $1,000.000.00 and don't forget the school taxes around $60,000.00 per year for 5 years $300,000.00
    Your estimate of lost taxes is high, very high.

$260,000/year for a $2 Million building?

That's about 13% per year. Think about what your taxes are - probably closer to 3 1/2 %.

Originally Posted by therising

That's about 13% per year. Think about what your taxes are - probably closer to 3 1/2 %.
    Right, wrong or indifferent, the right question is what percentage of the tax increases since 2003 were given to pay for this mess? If the building is not sold, what percentage of future tax increases will go to pay off the bond?

And, we still need a new police/courts facility, can't forget that, it will need to be paid for too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hawkeye
    Look at the cost of the building $1,900,000.00 , studies sorry rubber stamping inspections est. $60,000.00 cost of the suit $25,000.00 lost of taxes from town roles was est. at $200,000.00 per year since 2003 is est. $1,000.000.00 and don't forget the school taxes around $60,000.00 per year for 5 years $300,000.00
    Quote Originally Posted by therising

Unless I'm figuring it wrong, taxes per hundred thousand of assessed valuation in Lancaster (town, school and county) is $30.

If the same holds true for commercial:

Lost taxes = 1,600 x $30 = $48,000 per year. Since April 2003, that's $48,000 x 5 = $240,000.

However, add the $180,000 in bond interest over 3 years, the costs of building repairs, energy maintenance costs, etc., and that's a nice piece of change for housing the detective bureau and for storing equipment (and other things in the past).

And, how would this compare in the private sector? Well if it were a business venture, the company would be out of business.

If it were similar homeowner situation, one would be looking at foreclosure.

But hey, it's only taxpayer money and there is no one to be accountable to! And, blame and shame never enter into the picture.

And all those residents that keep bringing this crap up don't know jack about politics and should just shut up! Well, that's what the Town Board would like to see happen!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    3,445,000.00 / 11,328 population = $300 bucks a person.

Seems like a waste of money. Did the town acutally have to have the extra space? Or was there a connected friend who wanted to sell a building?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident

Seems like a waste of money. Did the town acutally have to have the extra space? Or was there a connected friend who wanted to sell a building?
    ??????????????

As to the other, you mean like a connected friend who was a vice president of the Colecraft Company and served on the Lancaster IDA with the Supervisor?

You don't suppose ...?

Originally Posted by WNYresident

The current town police/courts facility is an abomination. Why they would spend the kind of money they did on another old building in need of repair casts serious questions on their judgment.

You would think that with all of the development here (according to the way they speak about increasing the tax base), that a new facility would be an easy fix. For some reason in this area it just does not work.

Another great example of a broken system, inhabited by political cronies that have their way with taxpayer dollars as if it was growing in an orchard of money trees. Pick it and spend it. The only thing that gets picked in this area are taxpayers' pockets.

I wonder if we could find some stupid, green municipality that we could lease our town board out to on the basis of "experience". Somehow, I don't think we could reoup their spending losses in 7-10 years as the Supervisor thinks we could with the Colecraft building.

As taxes rise and the economy sinks further into recession, people are forced to think about their spending decisions, it's time the politicians do the same.

It's someone else's money, they own both political parties and idiots will vote them back in (if they are even given a choice of a candidate ((see quotes below)). If I was them, I'd want to run unopposed too. The Colecraft fiasco in any other place would be enough to give these sorry ass excuses for elected leaders the boot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information