Thread: It would be nice if people involved in summer volunteer programs would....

Tony Fracasso - Admin

It would be nice if people involved in summer volunteer programs would....

It would be nice if people involved in summer volunteer programs would post them up.

Wether they are cleanup days, summer youth programs or elderly assistance programs.

We get enough volunteers we can start cutting as many social service government employees as possible.

Res, we always need volunteers for events and clean ups at the Central Terminal. In fact, we need volunteers from noon to 3pm on 3/24 to help us set up for Dyngus Day, if anyone's interested!
    “Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” - Margaret Mead

Channel 17 PBS - volunteer fair

Res that is a great idea as you always seem to hear about these cleanups on the News after they already occured.

Channel 17 is having a fair for various agencies you can volunteer at all in one place on 3/29/08. Not all agencies from WNY will be there, but it looks like the start of a good idea. Here is the link:

http://www.wned.org/Features/VolFair/2008/default.asp

Volunteer Fair 2008
    One-stop shopping for volunteer opportunities
    in Erie/Niagara Counties

Saturday, March 29 ● 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
    WNED Studios
    140 Lower Terrace, across from Adam’s Mark Hotel, downtown Buffalo
    Free admission. Free parking.

Meet representatives from 35+ human service and cultural organizations

2008 Volunteer Fair – Participating Nonprofits
    (as of March 6, 2008—check back for updates!)

American Red Cross Blood Services
    American Red Cross, Greater Buffalo Chapter
    Arts Council In Buffalo & Erie County
    Black Dog Second Chance
    Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society
    Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park
    Buffalo Leadershape AmeriCorps at the Belle
    Center
    Buffalo ReUse Inc.
    Buffalo Society of Natural Scineces
    Central Referral Service/2-1-1 wny
    Compass House
    Compeer Greater Buffalo
    Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Buffalo
    Erie County Agricultural Society Inc.
    Erie County Medical Center
    Erie County RSVP
    First Hand Learning
    Food Bank of Western New York
    Habitat for Humanity Buffalo
    Harvest House of South Buffalo
    Herschell Carrousel Factory Museum
    Hull House Foundation
    Literacy Volunteers of Buffalo & Erie Co.
    Lourney's End Refugee Services
    Martin House Restoration Corporation
    Meals on Wheels for Western New York
    National Kidney Foundation of WNY
    Rural Transit Service
    Schofield Residence
    Shea's Performing Arts Center
    Sheehan Health Network
    The Elmwood Avenue Festival of the Arts
    The Grand Island Historical Society at River Lea
    The National Federation For Just Communities of WNY Inc.
    United Way of Buffalo & Erie County
    Weinburg Campus
    Zoological Society of Buffalo.Inc
    No reservations necessary
    Information: (716) 845-7025

Attention Nonprofits: Be a part of Volunteer Fair 2008!
    Download Application Form
    (due Monday, March 17)
    Just $35 (includes skirted 8-foot table and two chairs)

Space is limited. Reservations accepted in the order received.

Copyright © 2008 WNYPBA. All Rights Reserved.

Unregistered

Another volunteer opportunity

Here is another volunteer endeavor, apparently also happening on March 29, including a free dinner.

http://www.buffalorising.com/story/b..._service_d#sca

BonaResponds' Buffalo Service Day

By Eli George (Mar 21st)

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, many people sprung into action, including a group that formed in St. Bonaventure University. That group, known as BonaResponds, has taken trips all around the country to help people. Now, on March 29th, BonaResponds will be turning their efforts towards different areas in WNY that need attention.

BonaResponds is composed of students, alumni, faculty, staff, and local residents and is run completely on donations. To be part of the group, members do not need to be affiliated with St. Bonaventure University, they simply have to have a passion to help and the strength to lend a hand.

This event will be its first Buffalo Service Day, an extension of the group’s local service days that have been held semiannually in Olean and Allegany.

A volunteer meeting will be held at 9:30am at the Valley Community Association Center at 93 Leddy Street to organize and give out information.

Then, from 10am to 4pm, volunteers will work at several sites around the city. Some of the jobs that will be included are painting buildings, conducting housing assessments, renovating buildings, and boarding up two condemned buildings. Any help is appreciated and volunteers are not required to stay for the whole day.

At 4pm, volunteers can meet back at the Valley Community Center and enjoy a free dinner and music till 6. As an organization that brought 500 volunteers to the Gulf Coast and one that has taken many volunteers throughout WNY, the turn out is expected to be high. However, if you can not volunteer, donations are always appreciated and checks can be sent to BonaResponds, Attn: Jim Mahar, School of Business, Box BY, St. Bonaventure, NY 14778. All donations are tax deductible.

The participating organizations in this event are: the City of Buffalo Common Council, The Bob Lanier Center, The Belle Center, PUSH Buffalo, Buffalo Re-Use, Compass House and The Morlock Foundation. The sponsors are as follows: The Valley Community Association, First Niagara Financial Group, The Larkin at Exchange Building, City View Properties, David Franczyk, Common Council president and Fillmore District councilman; Michael "Mickey" Kearns, South District councilman; and Richard Fontana, Lovejoy District councilman.

do it!!!...

The Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper is having their Fall Clean-Up on September 19th and they need volunteers. Here is the link for the Riverkeeper and info. http://bnriverkeeper.org/programs/cleanups/

If there are any projects that I could bring my children too, I could volunteer. I am hesitant about trash clean ups because I don't want my kids picking up a syringe or something along that line.

Any gardening projects or things along that line I would take my kids to.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    If there are any projects that I could bring my children too, I could volunteer. I am hesitant about trash clean ups because I don't want my kids picking up a syringe or something along that line.

I forget your kids ages - I think you have to be 13 or 14 for buffalo reuse - my son did that in June ....

if you utilize those work gloves no problems .... and the kids at a certain age will most def tell you before picking up something like that - my scouts have been picking up trash clean ups in parks since the age of 5 .... thankfully no problems ..
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post

Are you implying that junkies avoid gardens when disposing of their syringes?

Quote Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
    I forget your kids ages - I think you have to be 13 or 14 for buffalo reuse - my son did that in June ....

if you utilize those work gloves no problems .... and the kids at a certain age will most def tell you before picking up something like that - my scouts have been picking up trash clean ups in parks since the age of 5 .... thankfully no problems ..
    3,4 and almost 2. I am mainly thinking about the oldest at this moment. Although if it involves gardening, the 3 year old believe it or not has a green thumb. We did a garden together and she helped me with most of it from cleaning out rocks and weeds, too planting them. She even helped me and reminded me to water them. Gardening comes natural to that one. It's weird.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA View Post
    Are you implying that junkies avoid gardens when disposing of their syringes?
    That didn't even cross my minds.

They should be using sharps containers.

Thread Information