Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: buffalo bars....memories...

Quote Originally Posted by ralph
    I believe Kevin Elliott had a place called Barrafatto's.
    Another good place in S.B. was Mudd McGrath's and Danny Boys.
    It was Baracini's on Union Road across from Holiday Theaters.
    PUGS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Member 2358
    The place on Main & Transit that was once the Yankee Whaler changed names to the Salty Dog when it became a rock joint. The Yellow Jaguar was across the street in the hotel kinda next to Melanies (now The Brew place). After Dark f/k/a Keystone 90 was owned by the same guy that had the Crossbow on Sheridan (n the same building that was a Ground Round... now some bank). Stage 1 was f/k/a Poor House and Patrick Henrys. FYI, the Barrellhead just had a reunion out in West Seneca. Some may also recall some of these...

Trivet House... Genesee & Transit
    Bowinkles... Broadway near Transit
    Fat Cat... Hertel near Elmwood.
    He & She's... later known as Backstage.
    Three Coins... Manniquins... Outta Tune Saloon
    Mean Guys East (yeah, and West).
    Holland Willows
    Four Stallions (might still be there?)
    Uncle Sam's on Walden had live rock on & off... Then it became S.P.I.T. heheh
    knickerbockers across from Sam's was live rock on Fri/Sat.
    The lounge in the hotel on Walden had live rock for a while too... so did the one in the Airport Holiday Inn.
    The Point After in NT... that susequenty blew to smithereens. Yipes!
    The place with a gazillion names on Youngs had some good periods.

Played in all of these places. Million years ago. Ugh!
    The bar where the Buffalo Brew Pub is now used to be a topless bar in the early 60's.I dont remember ever being a bar where TGIF's is now on main and transit. I do remember an A&P there in the late 60's. Lived around the corner for 50 years now.
    I think Uncle Sams had like a 200 foot bar? It was in an old lumber yard building.

I thought the Salty Dog was the nbame before it was the Skyroom on Seneca.

BTW, Peoria does not have bars like that.
    Corner joints, gin mills, old man bars with live music on the weekends.
    They do not exist.
    Just one MORE reason to hate it here....
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Ah

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley
    You're right..... those were the days. Did you go to Burgard? I lived 2 blocks from Langfield.. We must be about the same age.

No, I went to Kensington High. I played football there with Jim Burt, well he played with me lol.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Erin Go Braugh everyone!!!!
    ~~~ Dance like no one is watching~~~

Quote Originally Posted by boomeriam
    The bar where the Buffalo Brew Pub is now used to be a topless bar in the early 60's.I dont remember ever being a bar where TGIF's is now on main and transit. I do remember an A&P there in the late 60's. Lived around the corner for 50 years now.
    I think Uncle Sams had like a 200 foot bar? It was in an old lumber yard building.
    Yankee Whaler... later the Salty Dog... was located in the same structure as TGIF's but just to West -- kinda in the middle of the Main Street face of the building.

KipKat... You are correct the name Salty Dog was ressurected. The Salty Dog to which I'm referring was in the late 70's (maybe even into the early 80's?)... That might pre-date your patronage(?).

Cassidy's

was my favorite. probably cost me about two grade points while in college. BTW, the wheel is at the Steer restaurant I believe.
    As I knew all the workers there, and Andy the owner, I spent A LOT of time there. They told me to NEVER drink the free shots because it was just leftover crap that they had sitting around the place. Once I was on the bar pouring the shots and I ran out of the crap so I started pouring scotch in everybody's mouth. Now THAT got some attention.
    Cassidy's is having a big reunion party the first Saturday in August at Gabels! Send me a PM if you want the skinny!

Oh! Gabel's! And remember the Hotel California?

Anyone remeber Classics the one on Walden? The big white horse hanging out side ? Kevin Thomas owned it when I went there .
    ~~~ Dance like no one is watching~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37
    No, I went to Kensington High. I played football there with Jim Burt, well he played with me lol.
    What year did you graduate? I was the class of '67.

Kensington, thy sons and daughters hail thee,
    To green and gold, are hearts be ever true.
    that's all I remember...lol
    If it weren't for the United States Military, there would be NO United States of America !

Quote Originally Posted by ralph
    I believe Kevin Elliott had a place called Barrafatto's.
    Another good place in S.B. was Mudd McGrath's and Danny Boys.
    I hung around Mudd McGraths In pretty much most of it's incarnations. Pangel's, Burst's, Coleran's, Cleary's, Mudd's and Coughlin's. I could walk there from my house, or more often, walk home from there. It was the closest bar to where I live.
    I was heart broken when they tore it down. Particularly because they tore it down to build a new rite aide to replace the old rite aide that they took the ounce and 1/2 down for.
    Now there was a South Buffalo Bar, the old Ounce. Talk about legendary Buffalo Bars. That place had more character (not to mention characters) than any where mentioned so far. Before they tore it down, it was the closest bar to my house.
    No wonder I hate Rite Aide.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

I am also surprized no one mentioned Talty's on South Park and Sheffield. They say it's the closest thing Buffalo has to the bar featured in the first Star Wars movie.
    I like the place.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Ah

Quote Originally Posted by JustRetired
    What year did you graduate? I was the class of '67.

Kensington, thy sons and daughters hail thee,
    To green and gold, are hearts be ever true.
    that's all I remember...lol

I came in 66' play football in 67, with guys like Paul Tripi, Dave Salotta (sp), Ken Burns, Jim Beaver, Rod Richardson, Jim Burt, many other I can't remember. I quite school due to fighting lost my scholarship to play football, and I was blamed for burring down the main office lol. Such a joke that was...Doug Page did that one he's dead now going on 30 years.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37

riv...jim burt,who played for the ny giants...???

not possible....he's around 8 years younger than you and only went to orchard park....he played with craig wolfley and larry pfohl....we used to lift together at sports and fitness clinic...

wikipedia

James P. Burt (born June 7, 1959 in Orchard Park, New York) is a former American football player who played for the New York Giants and San Francisco 49ers in the National Football League (NFL). Burt played nose tackle for the Giants team that won Super Bowl XXI and the 49ers team that won Super Bowl XXIV.

Burt attended the University of Miami, where he stared on the football field for the Hurricanes and was eventually inducted into the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame.

Burt joined the Giants as an undrafted free agent in 1981. He made the Pro Bowl in 1986 and finished his career with his 20 quarterback sacks. Burt was respected throughout the league for his toughness and determination, which resulted in him going from being an undrafted rookie free agent to a Pro Bowler. He is also known for knocking out 49ers quarterback Joe Montana on a pass in the 1986 Divisional Playoff game. Montana's pass was picked off and returned for a touchdown by Giants linebacker Lawrence Taylor. The Giants won, 49-3, on their way to winning Super Bowl XXI.

Although many people often credit Harry Carson and Lawrence Taylor with inventing the "Gatorade Shower" on coaches following wins, Burt actually created it in 1985.[3] As Carson stated in his 1987 book Point of Attack:The Defense Strikes Back head coach Bill Parcells was especially hard on Burt in practice. Parcells often made Burt raise a 50 lb. dumbbell repeatedly off the ground in practice to simulate raising his arm powerfully out of his stance at the snap of the ball. Burt exacted revenge on Parcells after a win in 1985 by dousing him with a cooler of Gatorade. This has since become a tradition in football analogous to the champagne showers teams make in their locker rooms after winning a championship.

Burt battled back problems with the New York Giants which ultimately caused Parcells to announce his retirement in 1988.[2] Burt however disagreed and signed with the 49ers where he played until his career ended in 1991.

During the 2006 season Burt travelled to Dallas to give moral support to his former tormentor Parcells who was then head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Burt also delivered a pre-game speech and stood on the sidelines exulting Dallas' defensive players.[2]

Burt's son Jim Burt, Jr. followed in his father's footsteps and also went to Miami, but played collegiate baseball rather than football for the Hurricanes.

Burt has been a resident of Saddle River, New Jersey

Jim played high school football in Orchard Park N.Y., his teammates included Craig Wolfley who played offensive lineman with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Larry Pfohl(Lex Luger).

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread Information