Thread: It is time for D. Ward to go

It is time for D. Ward to go

I just read the "News" today, oh boy (do the lyrics sound familiar). D. Ward is leading a lawsuit against the town over the Muir Woods project. Remember back when (early 2000's) that this project was proposed and was designed as a mixed use, similar to a planned development. There was much uproar (as usual) from neighbors adjacent to this project. Since then, the project has been drastically downsized. Now it appears that the downsizing is not good enough for D. Ward and his group of anti development people. Now by him being part of the lawsuit. we as taxpayers not only have to pay for legal representation of the balance of the TB, BUT have to pay for the legal fees for D. Ward. I know some of you are going to say that this development should never have passed, but there was negotiations and a compromise was drafted (not to forget that it took so long to act on this project, that issues such as wetlands legislation had changed). When are we going to allow developments that are good for the entire community to be constructed? We are a first ring community of a large city that should be continuing in a positive way, instead of the dormant position the city has had. It does not mean to develop at all costs, but when something like this project comes along, we should encourage its' development by working together to make it acceptable to the MAJORITY of the people who live in the community. The stance that has been taken by D. Ward and now some others on the TB will just hurt this town in the long run. Developers have already begun to look elsewhere and any chance of revitalizing some of the older areas of the town may slowly die.
    I leave you with the following remarks made by D. Ward and some other members of the community at the past few TB meetings. They wish to see nothing built and for the town to remain as it is. So when companies such as Citi Group, Morgan Stanley, Prudential, Geico, etc. want to relocate or expand in this community, we should just place signs at the entrance to the town stating "Town of Amherst, NY - Developers and businesses are not welcome".
    As a side issue, the "Gun Club" property is coming up for a vote soon. What should happen is all interested parties should come together and come up with some sort of compromise that would be legally binding by placing restrictions on the decision. But we will probably face the "norm" which includes no effort, no negotiations, no development at any cost to continue.
    And you are wondering why people complain of the lack of prosperity, jobs, etc in this area? We try to make people feel that they are not welcome.
    Just remember people, you would not be living, working or playing in this community if it were not for individuals taking a chance and investing in this area.

Well no one commented on my little tirade but I thought I would just let you know that I just came back from the TB meeting. I just got sick and tired of all the negativity and personal bashing that was going on, with D. Ward and the rest at the lead to spell down any positive results that were presented to the town. As I have said before, no one wants to negotiate, they just want no development at any cost (I do not think they really know why). Now I hear all the homeowners groups throughout the area are going to ban together to discourage development most anywhere. I hope they are ready to ante up when the cost of operating services goes up and there is no modest increase in the tax base to take away some of the burden. As I have said before, that I am very surprised with the people living in the Sweet home School District area, for the commercial properties pay a much higher rate/$1000 of value for school tax. So when it comes to paying off the bonds for their new middle school digs, etc. the chance of additional commercial development (even if scaled down) will not be available to pay a bigger share of the pie.

I agree with your "tirade." I don't think most of those people (councilmembers or the public) have a clue about the economics here or the cause and effect of development and taxes. Without development, their taxes will go up. I guess they continue to believe Mohan's pie-in-the-sky promises of tax cuts without cuts in sevices. Yeah, what a laugh.

It's sad. It is also irreseponsible of the Town Board to pander the way they do.

the budget process this year is going to be really interesting.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What is the point of developement if the AMherst IDA gives "incentives" for the most part? Where is the income revenue from that?

Yes in 10 years the "incentives" may go away but that's 10 years of just about nothing except traffic. Just look at the empty building around your community. Are they producing 100% revenue at full asseted rates?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    What is the point of developement if the AMherst IDA gives "incentives" for the most part? Where is the income revenue from that?

Yes in 10 years the "incentives" may go away but that's 10 years of just about nothing except traffic. Just look at the empty building around your community. Are they producing 100% revenue at full asseted rates?
    I agree with your point on the incentives from the Amherst IDA. However the project on Maple Rd will NOT receive any incentives.

I have always wondered why there are no big commercial developments in East Amherst other than on Transit Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident

Just wanted to let you know that I agreed with you on something.

Another point to make is that commercial development in Amherst does not occur in East Amherst where the money that runs Republican political campaigns come from. It is always in someone else's backyard and they are told it is a great deal for them and the town.

Maybe it is just a coincidence.

I just read the minutes to the last TB meeting. They passed spending another $30000 for legal fees for the Muir Woods lawsuit brought on by D. Ward. This is after all the negotiating, etc. to scale down the project.

AIDA incentives

The AIDA incentives are not without paybacks. The businesses do contribute a PILOT payment to the town every year. Just exactly how much that involves I not sure but I believe it differs with each new business. Dan Ward has tried to have clawback provisions in the AIDA incentives. He may have finally succeded at the last board meeting.
    dono

Thread Information