Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Makeyenko & his school board does it again

Never filed bankruptcy and never even been late on a tax payment!

I think there are a number of problems with our school. The way the school system is run is absolutely the biggest problem and that does start with the Board of Ed. I don't feel like they listen to concerns and everybody has their own agenda. I don't see the point in participating or trying to talk to the board because they don't care...I was making it a point to try to attend meetings over the last few months, but I've given up, there is no point in attending those meetings.

However, another huge problem is PARENT APATHY. It is impossible to rally a group of parents. I'm not saying that all the parents don't care. I certainly care, and I know maybe 10 or 15 that feel the same way...however that is no where near enough to accomplish anything. When you have to take a grievance or concern to the Board and you do it alone...why would you be taken seriously. Now if you were able to rally and get a couple hundred parents behind you, that's a different story.

My child is at Truman. It's a great school and the staff there is wonderful. However, when you work on fundraisers or ask for volunteers and see the same small handful of parents who are the only ones that contribute, it's disheartening. I mean you just want to reach out to the rest of the families and shake them! Say these are your kids and this is your future, wake up and be involved. When education isn't valued at home and you have absent parents, it limits what you can do. When a child knows that their parents know their teachers and when you know what's being taught in the classroom it has a positive effect on your child's ability to learn and thrive.

The board and administration see that they aren't going to get push back from parents and so they can continue to treat students like prisoners and put their own self interests above those of the students that need to be educated, all while hiding behind the guise of blaming the parents because it all starts at home. (I'm speaking to the high school here...they don't treat the students like prisoners in the elementary school).

I think parent involvement at every school is the key to turning things around. If you regularly have a large group of parents involved at every school that will go a long way to making sure that the best interests of the students are served. It's just a matter of how to encourage parental involvement at a time when everyone claims to be too busy.

Personally, I'm invested in my child's future and while I remain in Lackawanna I will do everything I am able to do to make sure that he is getting the best education that he can. However, I'm not completely naive. In a few years some tough decisions will need to be made. My family will need to relocate to a better district or we will have to find a way to afford a private education...because if there are not huge changes in this district there is no way any of my kids will continue here beyond 6th grade.

Post I feel your frustration jenrose.....

It happened to me.....when my daughter got out of Franklin School after 4th grade I knew she was just being pushed along. Lackawanna would not help us, she had trouble reading, so we put her in Our Lady of Sacred Heart where she faired much better. Totally different disciple, attitude, and atmosphere (everyone was nice at Franklin but something was missing with her reading comprehension). I/We were afraid as she got into the older grades she would fall through the cracks and she would have if we didn't put her in Sacred Heart.

Lackawanna refused to help us but Sacred Heart got to the bottom of it all....she hated the school because it was stricter. We loved it because she was finally learning, this is how we knew we made the right move.
    I/We walked in many parent's shoes----the kids must be falling through the cracks or our district would not be failing us, right?
    Thank goodness we had the money to pay the tuition......Global Concepts wasn't around back then or she would have gone there. I like the uniforms, the foreign language in elementary, and that they all take musical instrument lessons. Pretty cool. I heard that this school in Lackawanna ranks higher in say 4th grade English scores than Martin Road School......is this true?
    I just talked to a Global High teen who switched from Lackawanna because he was being bullied. I know kids are kids, we all went through it, but I wonder if Lackawanna talked to him/parents to find out what when on regarding the switch?! Maybe they should survey the kids?
    I am NOT blaming the teachers, I know it is a combination of the home life and academics...........but.........Maybe teachers do not have a lot of the political BS to deal with so they just teach instead of gossiping or getting into the BS too. (Not criticizing LA Teachers/Staff,etc.--I know there are many who hate the political BS too and just do their job).

Quote Originally Posted by blahblahblah View Post
    What do you care if there is a tax increase, you don't pay them anyways.
    Apparently Geoff doesn't either.

Dion pays taxes but too bad there on his residence in Hamburg.

At least he pays them unlike Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mnb811 View Post
    At least he pays them unlike Geoff.

doesn't geoff own a house in bethlehem park?

Quote Originally Posted by had enough yet View Post
    doesn't geoff own a house in bethlehem park?
    Yep and isn't he on a previous deliquent list? If you make late taxes an issue for Andrea Haxton you sure as hell need to make it an issue for Mr. Szymanski and the rest of the city employees on the list. Otherwise your just a hypocrite and lower than cow manure.Never open a can of worms unless you know whats going to crawl on out!
    Last edited by mnb811; October 31st, 2011 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mnb811 View Post
    Yep and isn't he on a previous deliquent list? If you make late taxes an issue for Andrea Haxton you sure as hell need to make it an issue for Mr. Szymanski and the rest of the city employees on the list. Otherwise your just a hypocrite and lower than cow manure.Never open a can of worms unless you know whats going to crawl on out!
    Sadly, you crawled out mnb

Quote Originally Posted by youcangohome View Post
    If you say so. If telling the truth is a problem for you maybe you have no morals or ethics? Just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by youcangohome View Post
    The posting of truth seems to brother you so offer a fact, your opinion or view pertaining to the election. That would at least tell many of us that the light-bulb is working.

And..

Fact: Geoff Szymanski does not own the house he lives in.
    Tax Map ID #: 142.70-4-7
    Property Class: 210 - 1 Family Res
    Site: RES 1
    Site Property Class: 210 - 1 Family Res
    Zoning Code: MR - Mixed Resident
    Neighborhood Code: 00105 - 2nd Ward
    Total Acreage/Size: 60 x 117 School District: Lackawanna
    Land Assessment: 2011 - $7,100
    2010 - $7,100 Total Assessment: 2011 - $61,200
    2010 - $61,200
    Full Market Value: 2011 - $61,200
    2010 - $61,200 Market Value/sqft: 2011 - $43
    2010 - $43
    Deed Book: 9541 Deed Page: 23
    Grid East: 1082809 Grid North: 1025254
    Owners
    Michael Szymanski
    21 Modern Ave
    Lackawanna NY 14218
    Jane Szymanski
    21 Modern Ave
    Lackawanna NY 14218
    Sales
    No Sales Information Available
    Type Size
    Primary 60 × 117
    Exemptions
    Year Description Amount Exempt % Start Yr End Yr V Flag H Code Own %
    2011 WAR VET $9,180 15 1998 0
    2011 WAR VET $9,180 15 1998 0
    2011 STAR RES $30,000 0 1998 0
    2010 WAR VET $9,180 15 1998 0
    2010 WAR VET $9,180 15 1998 0
    2010 STAR RES $30,000 0 1998 0

Can you say hypocrite?

From the delinquent list:

186 140900 141.84-3-21 42 PINE ST SZYMANSKI GEOFFREY M 2009 391.11

TOTAL: 391.11

Proof is right there in front of you. Where's yours? Why doesn't he pay his taxes on time? Why wasn't he brought in front of the ethics board because of it? He voted for the deliquent tax additon to the city charter to get rid of Ms. Haxton so why isn't he held accountable to the same standards that he voted to hold her to? Why doesn't he live in the house he owns? Is living in Bethlehem Park beneath him? Once again if you open a can of worms....Don't you love being killed by the cold hard facts and truth....
    Last edited by mnb811; October 31st, 2011 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by getalife123 View Post
    The posting of truth s eems to brother you so offer a fact, your opinion or view pertaining to the election. That would at least tell many of us that the light-bulb is working.
    My view is nobody's business but mine. Certainly none of your business. As far as the truth, MNB is so filled with hate he/she/it wouldn't recoginize the truth. Nothing but lies and slander.

You are seriously demented. Do you know what lies and slander are? The stuff I just posted came off THE CITY OF LACKAWANNA WEBSITE! I guess maybe you should talk to Norm then! Futhermore the only thing I hate is the way your buddies in the city and school district destroyed the city I was born in and continue to shaft the kids and residents. When your ass is handed to any of you,all you do is scream slander and lies. Your just a puppet on a string like the rest of them.
    Last edited by mnb811; October 31st, 2011 at 04:26 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information