Thread: Buffalo CO Inspection advice

Buffalo CO Inspection advice

I'm new to this board and was led here while searching for advice or a solution to a potential problem.
    My wife owns a three unit rental home in Buffalo. She received a letter to schedule an inspection for certificate of occupancy. We met with the inspector, completed his repair list and met again for re-inspection. All things on the original list were done to his approval, except for the fact we were missing a carbon monoxide detector, as Home Depot only had 2 carbon monoxide detectors in stock when we shopped for them, then i forgot about finding the third. He said he would have to come back to re-inspect. But he also added 7 more things, on a hand written list. We did these things and called him back ASAP to finish this process. This time a crack in a hallway wall was not patched to his liking. He would like approximately 6 foot by 4 foot cut out and re-drywalled. Call him when it's done and he'll come back to re-inspect.
    I am wondering if anyone has had an experience like this and if the inspections will end. Will he find more needed repairs next time he comes back? This is a well taken care of house that my wife has owned for 20+ years. New outside paint, roof, updated 1st and 2nd floor kitchen, and three floors of exceptional tenants.
    We are planning on complying. Thanks for letting me vent.

No way!

Thanks for taking the time to invest in our area. We'd certainly like to see more people like you. Call Rich Tobe or Jim Comerford who are the people in charge of Inspections. Try 851-4972.

I'm confused (nothing new there), but if you have owned the property for 20 years and you already have tenants, why is there a need for a Certificate of Occupancy?

What is wrong with the wall that it isn't "Patched Properly?"

IMO--- a handwritten list is not an official order, and you shouldn't have done any of it.
    The second he handed you that I would have called the inspections office.

Follow the advice they just gave you--- call Richard Tobe.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Who ya gonna call .......Clarkbusters !

Call DA Clark , as he's been sniffing CO for years it seems.........
    Nothing gold can stay...............

www.onlinebuffalo.com

First off, who is your inspector (send by pm if you feel the need)?

Second, after the second inspection there is a fee for and further inspections. One of the focuses for the whole EDPIS Department is to bring in money via fees and fines through the court.

Third, as someone mentioned above, your violations should be written on a violation form. If the inspector did not have another form on him, he should have told you there were other violations and he would be sending you the list after having discussed them WITH you, not handing you a handwritten list.

Fourth, I would call Gary Ziolkowski or Lou Petrucci first.

And, lastly, unfortunately this is one department in the city that has not changed much in many years, once again, stating they are understaffed. However, they have enough staff and hours per inspector to consistently go to your structure, don't they?

Sounds like the inspector was looking for a fruit basket.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie
    I'm confused (nothing new there), but if you have owned the property for 20 years and you already have tenants, why is there a need for a Certificate of Occupancy?
    All multi unit (3 or more) dwelling MUST be inspected every 3 years. Although this is the first time they have asked to inspect it since she has owned it.

And as far as the patch, this was the fourth patch, (all done on cracks of similar size, done by the same person) but the only one not sufficiently repaired. This particular one was found on the second inspection. There is a slight outward bow in the wall where it's patched which he thinks will fall on someone. I don't think it's falling on anyone, but I admit, I'm not a contractor or inspector.

Thanks for the responses so far.

This is why I won't invest my personal money in Buffalo, and advise my clients to go to the suburbs where the management hassles are few, the tenants are better quality, and the CAP rates are equal.

Sorry for your situation bmart. therising's suggestion of a fruit basket is on target. I usually use gift certificates for an "asian massage" when a bureaucrat has a difference of opinion.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Is it possible to take a digital photo of the wall you are talking about. I'm curious to see how picky they are.

3+ Family Units

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Is it possible to take a digital photo of the wall you are talking about. I'm curious to see how picky they are.
    My friend's son invests & lives on the lower west side & has all sorts of problems with multiple dwelling inspectors.....He has had similiar experiences of them making an original inspection , then "finding" different violations on the subsequent inspection ? He now owns approx. 14-15 units in 4 buildings/dwellings & lives in one of them but is ready to take off for the burbs because of the hazzles of the neighborhod , the noise , vandalism , the crime , the schools as he's getting married , then he HATES the inspectors.......He still loves the proximity to Chippewa St. , so he's probably not ready for marriage & kids , etc. But again , states he's being nit-picked to death each time he gets a permit , the constant re-inspections , but I don't think he's ever had someone write a note on a separate sheet of "things to do list" ? Would be interesting to see a picture like the rez wrote to check out their "standards" ?
    Nothing gold can stay...............

www.onlinebuffalo.com

I use advantage, call sabbie, pm if you want more info. I am an agent and he is goes through everything, but will be honest with you

Sorry for the lack of updates.
    I don't have a photo of it and won't be going back to the house until the wall is fixed (or not fixed) again.
    I would rather not name the inspector, in the forum or in a PM.
    It's not so much how it has gotten here, but what to do from this point. I guess we'll call the supervisor to get his opinion on it.
    I do know it's downright depressing. We realize this is not a new house and things do need to be repaired. But will we need to repair/replace everything that's not in original condition? We take care of this house and we quickly repair problems that arise. Then we ride down the street looking at other houses that look neglected. It makes you feel singled out.
    We were livid after the second visit (re-inspection) , when he found "things he missed" the first time. But, we thought, "...let's just do it, get it done quick and get it over with."
    But, now we are stuck. If we don't do it, we get no certificate of occupancy and fines and housing court. If we do it, he has to come back and gets another chance to find other violations. I KNOW there are other cracks in the plaster. I don't want to re-drywall every room.
    My wife made the decision, and has a call into the inspector, to try to find out if complying will end the inspections. This will determine our next actions.

we repaired the wall. had it inspected yesterday. went smooth. we were in the house no more than 30 seconds. "hey", "this looks fine", and "bye" were all that was said.

thanks again for all advice/input.

Thread Information