Thread: Clean-coal power plant seems stalled

Unregistered

Clean-coal power plant seems stalled

Clean-coal power plant seems stalled
    By Janice L. Habuda NEWS STAFF REPORTER
    Updated: 02/25/08 6:50 AM

SAVE EMAIL PRINT POPULAR Digg it del.icio.us + Larger Font Google Yahoo - Smaller Font
    What’s happening with the $1.5 billion clean-coal power plant proposed for the Huntley Station in the Town of Tonawanda?

A special committee of school, business and government leaders met for the first time last week to consolidate efforts to learn about the status of the proposal.

“We find we are quite often dealing with misinformation about the project,” said Robert Dimmig, executive director of the Town of Tonawanda Development Corp. “We have . . . an information gap.”

In December 2006, then-Gov. George E. Pataki announced that NRG Energy, which owns the plant, had won a state incentive award to build a clean-coal plant on the River Road site. Final approval hinges on whether it can cut costs or obtain incentives to make the electricity it generates cheap enough for businesses and people to buy.

“Are New York State and NRG talking?” Tonawanda Supervisor Anthony F. Caruana asked.

“My concern is here we are, sitting here, and we don’t know from either end.”

Although the project appears to have stalled, the state Department of Environmental Conservation and the State Power and Energy Research and Development authorities are examining environmental and technological aspects, according to Laura Monte, the local representative for Gov. Eliot L. Spitzer.

If the project is a go, the local economy stands to benefit from 1,000 construction jobs, 100 additional jobs at the power plant and spin-off benefits estimated to average $120 million annually over 35 years.

If it’s a “no” and the antiquated Huntley Plant is mothballed, the effects on the economy could be devastating.

A seven-year payment in lieu of taxes (PILOT) agreement with NRG Energy will expire this year.

“What happens if it’s shuttered — do we require some type of closure plan?” Dimmig asked. “The last thing we want to be facing is this thing locked down, shut up.”

jhabuda@buffnews.com

Why do we need this? We have the cheapest and cleanest source of power down the river we shouldnt even have to have one of these in our backyard.

Theres no such thing as clean coal.

If, and that's not the I can make a megaprofit stuff my wallet cutting corners IF...If it's done right, anything can be clean power.

Quote Originally Posted by huh
    Theres no such thing as clean coal.
    Please explain.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Wasn't this one of the "Accomplishments" Hillary was credited for? THe huntley power plant?

The Huntley plant is supposedly one of the dirtiest in the state if not the country in terms of emissions and it is obsolete. There is a good chance that it will be shut down and we will need something to replace it.

My question is how clean is clean coal technology compared to natural gas or nuclear ? It seems that that would be a great location for a nuclear plant, but I'm sure it won't happen. Probably most of you think I'm nuts for even bringing up the subject.

If, as most of us hope, this area does start to grow again, we will need the power. If it continues to shrink, then I think we may have enough.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

Not only because of the dirty emmisons but the way they destroy the earth to get it out

Quote Originally Posted by huh
    Not only because of the dirty emmisons but the way they destroy the earth to get it out

So, you don't quite understand the concept of clean coal power, do you?

Thread Information