Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Erie Basin Marina

Erie Basin Marina

Boaters who rent slips skeptical about year-round plan:
    By Brian Meyer NEWS STAFF REPORTER

Updated: 02/25/08 6:40 AM

"Plans to turn Erie Basin Marina into a 24/7 destination by next year are being praised by almost everyone except some boat owners who rent slips there, according to city officials.

Mayor Byron W. Brown is promising to include boaters in an advisory panel that will help forge policies for making the downtown marina a year-round attraction.

Last week, officials ended a three-decade tradition that kept the marina closed from Oct. 15 to May 1. Amid fanfare, they removed the red and white gates that were winter barriers to keep out vehicles and pedestrians.

City officials are now encouraging joggers, walkers and other waterfront enthusiasts to visit the marina between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. By next year, Brown said he hopes to lift the nighttime ban so the picturesque spot can become a round-the-clock destination.

But some boaters are voicing concerns. Michael Meyers of Grand Island sent Buffalo’s accountability panel a letter stating that he stays on his boat overnight in the summer. He is worried that there could be safety issues if the city keeps the marina open 24 hours a day. Most parks are closed after sundown, Meyers argued, and he said Erie Basin Marina should also be off-limits at night.

“If these issues are not addressed, I must investigate moving my boat to a more secure environment,” wrote Meyers, whose letter was discussed during a CitiStat meeting televised on Buffalo’s government-access cable television channel.

“We do not want anybody to move their boats from the slips,” replied acting city Public Works Commissioner Steven J. Stepniak.

Brown echoed the sentiment, promising that boaters will have a voice on a steering panel that will work with the city to chart a more vibrant future for the marina.

The mayor’s second-in-command was quick to emphasize that plans to expand marina access have won widespread praise.

“It seems like the only concerns are coming from boaters,” said First Deputy Mayor Steven M. Casey.

If anything, Casey said, opening the marina at night would enhance public safety, because additional security measures would be taken.

“The police are going to be down there more than they were before,” Casey said.

Some observers think that a key component for revitalizing Buffalo’s waterfront will include getting more residents to “embrace winter.” One example occurred earlier this month when Labatt USA sponsored a pond hockey tournament at the marina.

Rep. Brian Higgins, D-Buffalo, said planners must find ways to attract people to the waterfront year-round.

“The weather creates both challenges and opportunities. We have to embrace the opportunities,” Higgins said last week.

Extending the marina’s season and hours are not the only changes being considered. Last fall, the Common Council unanimously backed a plan to look into cleaning up a stretch of shoreline near the marina’s observation tower and converting it into a sand beach. While swimming might not be permitted at the site, given the water current and other factors, officials said it could become a special place for boat-watching, sunbathing and other activities.

“It’s certainly a creative idea that’s worth exploring,” Brown said after lawmakers requested a study. “It would seem to be a very good location. It’s a beautiful area.”

bmeyer@buffnews.com"

+++++++++++

Erie Basin Marina is a City park, but it's also a marina and operates under the mission of providing affordable transient and seasonal slips; amenities include, security, electric hook ups, water, "waste storage," bathrooms and shower facilities. They also provide: day launches, fuel, and a full service restaurant and snack shop.

Work done at the Marina and throughout the Park is provided by the City/County agreement and overseen by the Marina Operator, Mike Wolatz. Mr. Wolatz operates the Hatch Restaurant, as well, and is the new lessee of the Marine Tower Apartments Delicatessen. His tenure at the marina has been stellar and has much improved the public and private (the slip holders) components of the Marina. His input in the debate should be recognized, as well as the slipholders who pay an upfront dockage charge of what, more than $1200.00 a season (Not sure what it is- maybe more). They are not "visitors" to the marina, they have rented and contracted the COB to be there and have every right to have their input heard. (In spite of Mr. Steve Casey's smug remark concerning them!)

As far as security- the marina has always had a "gatekeeper" at the entrance to the marina, will they still staff that position 24/7? The BPD are not private security for the marina- which will float how many boats, worth mow many millions of dollars? Oh it can be done, and will be done, lets just use our heads- no, COMMON SENSE, and do the right thing. I think 365/12 (year round for 12 hours a day; 8 a.m. - 10 p.m.).

PS: A "No Swimming" beach at the Marina? How do you create a beach and exclude swimming? I can see why you wouldn't put a swimming beach there, but do you really think that will stop people from diving right in? Some people will because you say not to, others will just be compelled to. I think it's an attractive nuisance and should be scrapped. Better to have reinvested in La Salle Parks swimming pool- what a crime that was!

Let the market decide. The marina is for all of the city. If someone wants closed hours or better security allow them to pay for it.

You pay for what you get. If you want affordable transient and seasonal slips, then you open yourself to these issues. Pretty simple to me.

If they want more security, allow the rates to be raised so the slip owners and not the city cover the expense.

If there is MILLIONS of dollars in boats, allow those who can afford the LUXURY of having a boat to pay the expenses of the boats.

It is comical for the city to provide affordable marinas. What is next, affordable parking for BMW owners?

I wish I could think down to your level, but...

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    Let the market decide. The marina is for all of the city. If someone wants closed hours or better security allow them to pay for it.

You pay for what you get. If you want affordable transient and seasonal slips, then you open yourself to these issues. Pretty simple to me.

If they want more security, allow the rates to be raised so the slip owners and not the city cover the expense.

If there is MILLIONS of dollars in boats, allow those who can afford the LUXURY of having a boat to pay the expenses of the boats.

It is comical for the city to provide affordable marinas. What is next, affordable parking for BMW owners?
    +++

The silver spoon's stuck in my throat from laughing!

Quote Originally Posted by OldTymeRevival
    +++

The silver spoon's stuck in my throat from laughing!
    Well you are choking on something but I doubt it is a silver spoon!

Sterling all the way, baby!

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    Well you are choking on something but I doubt it is a silver spoon!

By choice!

My family keeps a boat at Erie Basin and the only problem I see about the new plans is leaving the park open 24/7 to the public. I think the 10pm closing time is appropriate and fair. But Im also open to exceptions for things like concerts and other special events on a weekend, perhaps midnight or 2am if they were going to keep serving the food and beer.

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan
    My family keeps a boat at Erie Basin and the only problem I see about the new plans is leaving the park open 24/7 to the public. I think the 10pm closing time is appropriate and fair. But Im also open to exceptions for things like concerts and other special events on a weekend, perhaps midnight or 2am if they were going to keep serving the food and beer.

A 10 p.m. closing with extended hours during special events makes much more sense.

A 10 p.m. closing with extended hours during special events makes much more sense.
    Yeah, you know... because sometimes you're sitting on your boat and you look up and wonder WTF? is the party over already. And other times, the majority IMO, its like okay what the hell are those morons doing hanging around my truck. Time to go home you leaches....

Brown, Higgins and their merry band of morons (Casey and Co.) couldn't plan their way out of a paper bag. God help us if we re-elect these bozos. I'd seriously consider a move out of the area if that happens.

His input in the debate should be recognized, as well as the slipholders who pay an upfront dockage charge of what, more than $1200.00 a season (Not sure what it is- maybe more). They are not "visitors" to the marina, they have rented and contracted the COB to be there and have every right to have their input heard.
    They rented the docking space in the marina, and their input should be heard. They have every right to expect safety and relative security, but they should not dictate how the rest of the marina is used.

It's a marina, not a private hotel. We are not required to keep the surrounding waterfront quiet and restricted just so they can fall asleep in their boats by 11pm. It's still a city, and it's still public space.

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles
    They rented the docking space in the marina, and their input should be heard. They have every right to expect safety and relative security, but they should not dictate how the rest of the marina is used.

It's a marina, not a private hotel. We are not required to keep the surrounding waterfront quiet and restricted just so they can fall asleep in their boats by 11pm. It's still a city, and it's still public space.
    discounted to boot!

Well, yes, you are.

[QUOTE=300miles]They rented the docking space in the marina, and their input should be heard. They have every right to expect safety and relative security, but they should not dictate how the rest of the marina is used.

It's a marina, not a private hotel. We are not required to keep the surrounding waterfront quiet and restricted just so they can fall asleep in their boats by 11pm. It's still a city, and it's still public space.[/QUOT

Besides being a Public/Private marina, its also a neighborhood, surrounded by a good many "homes." From the Marine Tower Apartments to the Lakefront Commons, the Rivermist, and all others lining the Marina itself and the entrance to the channel- all neighborhood and entitled to the benefits of "lights out at 11!"

all neighborhood and entitled to the benefits of "lights out at 11!"
    We're talking about downtown in a city.
    There is no such entitlement.

No, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles
    We're talking about downtown in a city.
    There is no such entitlement.
    Yes, it's a City owned and operated Marina; well, actually, the marina is leased to an operator, who also has the lease on the restaurant and an agreement for overall operation of the entire Marina. Within those leases and agreements are
    rules and regulations that serve the needs of the slipholders and limits what access the public may have. Of course, that all can and probably will be reviewed and written to accomplish the goal of opening the Marina up to more access by the public.

As far as the neighborhood of the marina is concerned, it's like any other neighborhood in the COB- and there are ordinances that require neighbors to control noise, dogs, traffic... oh, just a host of things. What, that's not an "entitlement" to be able to sleep at night without excessive or loud noise? That's what a noise ordinance provides.

Are you saying there is a specific noise ordinance written for the Marina? or are you just saying in General. If there is a specific one for the Marina what does it say?

I say there is no entitlement in the city. The people that live near chippewa do not expect all the bars and people to leave by 11pm. Neither do the people that live near Elmwood, Hertel, Main, Allen, or anywhere else downtown. Those streets are "open" 24/7 and bars are open til 4am.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information