Thread: Italian Wedding Soup?

Italian Wedding Soup?

BTW, I just noticed that we now have a new official forum for FOOD! Hmmm... Interesting...

But anyways, I just wanted to ask you guys if you have any input on "Italian Wedding Soup."

I wanted to make it the other day and I looked at about six different cookbooks and could not find the recipe. After I looked online, I found some clues as to why the recipe may not be in cookbooks.

Apparently, the soup is strictly a NORTHEASTERN THING.

I told my husband what I was making and he said he'd never heard of the soup.. But I was like, "Wait a minute! You've never heard of Italian wedding soup!" They have it everywhere!"

The Wikipedia entry for it reiterates that it is a "staple" food and is included on the menus of many restaurants, albeit only in the Northeast.

So, what do you guys think?

Also, I swear I have also heard of "Mexican Wedding Soup"... Or is it "Mexican Wedding balls?"

What's with all the wedding stuff?

Oh, and my recipe ended up not following the original ingredients for Italian wedding soup...

So we called it "Sicilian Annulment Soup."
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

the italian wedding soup from wegman's is very good....i'll bet that they have the recipe available...or you could just buy some and replicate it...beyond a chicken broth...mini meatballs,a leafy something,and acini de pepe,i don't know what else,if anything,is in there.....mmmmmmmmmm!!!!

found it!!!...

Italian Wedding Soup

MAKES 7 cups ACTIVE TIME: 30 min TOTAL TIME: 35 min

1 medium Wegmans Egg
    1/2 lb Food You Feel Good About 85% Lean Ground Beef
    1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley (flat leaf)
    2 Tbsp Italian Classics Seasoned Bread Crumbs
    2 Tbsp Wegmans Basting Oil
    1 pkg Food You Feel Good About Cleaned & Cut Mirepoix
    1 carton Food You Feel Good About Chicken Culinary Stock
    1/3 (about 2 cups) Food You Feel Good About Fresh Chopped Escarole
    1/2 cup Wegmans Acini Di Pepe Pasta
    Salt and pepper to taste
    2 Tbsp Italian Classics Italian Blend Grated Cheese

Beat egg slightly in medium bowl; add ground beef, parsley, and bread crumbs. Mix well with clean hands. Form into small meatballs, using about 1 tsp ground beef mixture for each.

Brown meatballs on all sides in basting oil in braising pan on MEDIUM, about 5 min. Remove meatballs; drain off all but 1 Tbsp pan drippings.

Add mirepoix; reduce heat to MEDIUM-LOW. Cover; cook, stirring occasionally, 6-8 min, until veggies are soft but not browned.

Add meatballs and stock; bring to boil on HIGH. Lower heat to MEDIUM and simmer for 5 min. Add escarole; return to simmer on MEDIUM-HIGH. Add pasta; let simmer about 5 min until pasta is tender.

Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish each serving with grated cheese.
    Chef Tip(s):
    Check out the cooking video at Wegmans.com.

Rinse hands occasionally with cool water as you make meatballs; it helps keep meat from sticking to hands.

Browning meatballs in the braising pan makes this soup one-pot easy.

Fruits and Vegetables: 0.25 cup(s)

Calories: 200.0

Nutrition Info: Each serving (1 cup) contains 200 calories, 15 g carbohydrate, (2 g fiber), 11 g protein, 10 g fat, (3 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, and 360 mg

First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue
    I love allrecipes
    I use that one a lot too.

Giada has a nice recipe also:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._28928,00.html
    it's very very similar to Wegman's (I agree BPP, they do a nice job of theirs)

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1
    Also, I swear I have also heard of "Mexican Wedding Soup"... Or is it "Mexican Wedding balls?"
    Same confusion here. Italian family, yet Mexican confectionaries.

Italian wedding soup has: Chicken broth, small (marble-sized) meatballs, more veggies (carrots, celery) than normal with plenty of egg noodles.

Perfect garnish = grated parmesan cheese.

Mexican wedding cakes are an oven-baked shortbread cookie, sometimes containing sesame seeds, coated with confectioner's sugar.

Sounds like a balanced meal to me!

I agree. I don't see anything wrong with a meal of Italian Wedding Soup followed by a few Mexican Wedding Cakes. I love them both.

It certainly sounds more appealing than Mike Huckabee's squirrel cooked in a popcorn popper. (Although squirrel ain't bad. We used to eat it when we was poor white kids in Depew. But we didn't use no popcorn popper. Hell, we didn't even have a popcorn popper. Blang dang it, I don't even think popcorn poppers was invented then. We used the old cast iron skillet to pop the corn. Probably the same skillet we fickaseed the squirrel in. Wait, don't be going there, we washed the skillet out with sand and water first.)

Thread Information