Thread: Higgins Gives $93,843 to Vigilant Fire Company

Higgins Gives $93,843 to Vigilant Fire Company

Vigilant Fire Company awarded $93,843 grant

Updated: 02/18/08 6:55 AM

West Seneca Fire District 6, also known as Vigilant Fire Company, has been awarded $93,843 in federal funding through the Department of Homeland Security.

The department awards grants to local fire departments across the country in an effort to ensure that their communities have adequate protection from fire and fire-related hazards. Rep. Brian Higgins, D-Buffalo, announced the grant.
    I can understand the immediate "knee jerk" reaction to keep our country safe from terror but is West Seneca really a "hotbed for terrorism"? Could this money be better invested elsewhere?

I just get a feeling this is a very easy way for Higgins to "buy votes".

Well, will the funds help make sure that WS has "adequate protection from fire and fire-related hazards"? If that's the predominant, or only, criteria, then what's the problem?

If there truly were a national-sized emergency in WNY, do you not think that fire companies from all across the region would be called to help?
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

I like how the title is Higgins gives the Fire Department money.... it should be TAXPAYERS give the federal money to the Fire Department. Higgins is just there to take the credit for it.

Quote Originally Posted by crabapples
    I like how the title is Higgins gives the Fire Department money.... it should be TAXPAYERS give the federal money to the Fire Department. Higgins is just there to take the credit for it.
    That was Enough's title. The actual title of the article was:

But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by run4it

Yes, I know. I was directing the comment to Enough.

Ahhhhh

The joy and wonder of pork, aka member item money, aka earmarks aka votebuying.

The grease that turns the wheels. Good grease in an election year, right?

Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    Well, will the funds help make sure that WS has "adequate protection from fire and fire-related hazards"? If that's the predominant, or only, criteria, then what's the problem?

If there truly were a national-sized emergency in WNY, do you not think that fire companies from all across the region would be called to help?
    It is not the direct responsibility of the Federal Government to protect the residents from fire and fire-related hazards. That's what you pay taxes to your fire districts for. If their was a "national size emergency" in WNY wouldn't ALL fire companies be involved?

What is the Vigilant fire company currently lacking that they need $98,000 for?

Originally Posted by run4it

Yes, I know. I was directing the comment to Enough.
    Do you think the committee reps in Washington were sitting at a table last week and just started saying, "Hey, we got $98,000 here. Why not give it to that Vigilant Fire Company in West Seneca"?

It was announced by Higgins because Higgins is the one the brought it up. You don't think Higgins would have announced it if Reynolds brought it up, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Enough
    Do you think the committee reps in Washington were sitting at a table last week and just started saying, "Hey, we got $98,000 here. Why not give it to that Vigilant Fire Company in West Seneca"?

It was announced by Higgins because Higgins is the one the brought it up. You don't think Higgins would have announced it if Reynolds brought it up, do you?
    I believe that the fire departments have to fill out paperwork to be considered for the funding. After the Federal Government reviews it they approve the grant.

I believe it is customary to have the Congressman announce it but for you to entitle that Higgins gives the money is false. Higgins can announce the funding as the Buffalo News stated, but you make it sound like he donated the money.

I believe that the fire departments have to fill out paperwork to be considered for the funding. After the Federal Government reviews it they approve the grant.

I believe it is customary to have the Congressman announce it but for you to entitle that Higgins gives the money is false. Higgins can announce the funding as the Buffalo News stated, but you make it sound like he donated the money.
    I understand where you're coming from. I didn't mean for it to sound like Higgins is "giving" the money like Swanick used to go to the Senior Center and eat chipped beef with the old folks and give them money a month before the election.

Thread Information