Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: studio arena theatre...finis??

studio arena theatre...finis??

from buffalo biz journal...

Mounting financial losses may bring the curtain down on Studio Arena Theatre's final act.

Sources say an emergency fundraising campaign aimed at bringing in approximately $1 million may determine whether the downtown theater survives beyond the current run of "To Kill a Mockingbird." The play, jointly produced by the Road Less Traveled Productions, ends its month-long run Feb. 24.

The campaign is scheduled to be announced Friday morning.

The theater has an accumulated debt of nearly $4 million. Most area foundations and funding agencies are shying away from offering any further financial support.

"Hopefully, we can reverse this," said Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown. "Or, hopefully, we can see a new theater occupy the Studio Arena space."

Studio Arena, a downtown anchor since 1965, has been struggling with budget deficits for several years.

According to the theater's Form 990 filed with the International Revenue Service, Studio Arena has finished in the red every year since 1999. Its 2005 filing, the most recent available, cited a loss of $1.44 million.

Calls to Studio Arena executives and members of its board of directors went unreturned.

"Our foundation reviewed the situation and we don't see any way to help them," said Thomas Lunt, a Margaret L. Wendt Foundation trustee.

At its peak, Studio Arena attracted more than 100,000 to the 625-seat Main Street theater. It's season ticket subscription base, which once topped 11,000 subscribers has dropped to below 7,000. After bringing in more than 100,000 people on an annual basis, the theater is expected to bring in 80,000 people this year - if it can finish its season, scheduled to run through mid-May.

imo...it's been poorly run for at least the past six seasons...poor play selection...and more..

Sad to see it close though...It's a shame that the younger audiences can't afford the ticket prices or don't go to the theater any more...

Unregistered
    I just dont think that the plays identify with the audience anymore...

however there is a bright side....UBs expansion into downtown Buffalo could see the Studio Arena converted to a UB theater for off-campus performances.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    There are other forms of entertainment that people enjoy more than plays.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident

Not necessarily. I'm not quite up there in the "Patron of the Arts" category, but a thriving live theater presence is a plus for any community.

I'd rather see live people acting on a stage versus computer generated special effects projected on a screen.

Go see "To Kill a Mockingbird" at Shea's. Way better than Hanna Montana in 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Effigy
    Not necessarily. I'm not quite up there in the "Patron of the Arts" category, but a thriving live theater presence is a plus for any community.

I'd rather see live people acting on a stage versus computer generated special effects projected on a screen.

Go see "To Kill a Mockingbird" at Shea's. Way better than Hanna Montana in 3D.
    Obviously, "a thriving live theater presence is" NOT "a plus for any community". This place has been bleeding money since 1999.

I think the proof is in the numbers that it is not a necessary part of our community.

sometimes I wonder if reading these stories actually makes some people happy, in a sick sort of way.... I can only wonder based on some people's reaction

In Buffalo, maybe we enjoy pain and suffering
    The truth from a troll is still the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    from buffalo biz journal...

Mounting financial losses may bring the curtain down on Studio Arena Theatre's final act.

Sources say an emergency fundraising campaign aimed at bringing in approximately $1 million may determine whether the downtown theater survives beyond the current run of "To Kill a Mockingbird." The play, jointly produced by the Road Less Traveled Productions, ends its month-long run Feb. 24.

The campaign is scheduled to be announced Friday morning.

The theater has an accumulated debt of nearly $4 million. Most area foundations and funding agencies are shying away from offering any further financial support.

"Hopefully, we can reverse this," said Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown. "Or, hopefully, we can see a new theater occupy the Studio Arena space."

Studio Arena, a downtown anchor since 1965, has been struggling with budget deficits for several years.

According to the theater's Form 990 filed with the International Revenue Service, Studio Arena has finished in the red every year since 1999. Its 2005 filing, the most recent available, cited a loss of $1.44 million.

Calls to Studio Arena executives and members of its board of directors went unreturned.

"Our foundation reviewed the situation and we don't see any way to help them," said Thomas Lunt, a Margaret L. Wendt Foundation trustee.

At its peak, Studio Arena attracted more than 100,000 to the 625-seat Main Street theater. It's season ticket subscription base, which once topped 11,000 subscribers has dropped to below 7,000. After bringing in more than 100,000 people on an annual basis, the theater is expected to bring in 80,000 people this year - if it can finish its season, scheduled to run through mid-May.

imo...it's been poorly run for at least the past six seasons...poor play selection...and more..
    It really is too bad. It's such a great theatre, location, etc. Was really hoping the new director could pull it up and out of it's troubles. Things haven't been the same since Blossom passed away (did you know her BPP?)

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    That's true - they can always turn the space into a Lasertron.

It's funny, but there are a bunch of high school kids going to see "To Kill a Mockingbird"

Up until about 100 years ago, plays and live music were the only forms of entertainment. To me it marks the ending of an era to some extent. That also saddens me.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy H
    It really is too bad. It's such a great theatre, location, etc. Was really hoping the new director could pull it up and out of it's troubles. Things haven't been the same since Blossom passed away (did you know her BPP?)

blossom (and mitch) were sweethearts.....the nicest people imaginable...

from what i hear...the rest of the buffalo theatre community seems to be doing allright....the problem with SA is incredibly poor play selection and abysmal marketing......do things correctly...people will probably come..

Quote Originally Posted by Trolls_r_us
    sometimes I wonder if reading these stories actually makes some people happy, in a sick sort of way.... I can only wonder based on some people's reaction

In Buffalo, maybe we enjoy pain and suffering
    Where do you get your assumption from?

I haven't read that into any of the above posts.

Unregistered

theater will go dark?

More bad news from a reliable source . . . .

With respect to Studio Arena, the guy who used to run the place ran up all kinds of bills. They now need a million dollar plus bailout. From what I understand, the theater will go dark. Season ticket holders and such will not be getting refunds.

Quote Originally Posted by kernwatch
    More bad news from a reliable source . . . .
    Do you have a reliable source that provides you with bad news on a regular basis?

from what i hear...the rest of the buffalo theatre community seems to be doing allright....the problem with SA is incredibly poor play selection and abysmal marketing......do things correctly...people will probably come..
    Exactly. If the formula ain't working, change the formula, DUH!

...true, the strip clubs are at least equally entertaining, however, RES...in a town like Buffalo, there is room for all forms of entertainment to thrive and believe me, if one cultural institution goes under, it impacts all of them in one way or another.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information