Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taxpayers screwing taxpayers

Taxpayers screwing taxpayers

Why are there so many condos being built in Amherst? Real simple - they get tax breaks. I'll give you an example: a "condo" in Brompton Hgts recently sold for 500K. The "assessed" value of that property is 208K - a difference of 300k. That's 300k of property tax not paid. So who does pay it? All the other taxpayers in Amherst. The developers in Amherst sell their condos by telling the buyers that while they'll pay $500k for their condo, they rest of the town taxpayers will subsidize their mortgage payments by reducing the tax liability on the property. Not bad eh? Is is any wonder your taxes are going up ? Look around and see how many "condos" are being built. The newest one on Sheridan Dr will really put it to the Amherst taxpayers. And what will our esteemed Super do ? NOTHING!
    dono

People who choose to live like congested parasites dependent on materialistic systems and abundance for survival deserve what happens to them.

I can't believe

I no sooner post this thread then I see there is a posting about the condo law on the frontpiece of this MB. It's a piece by Lee Chienowic(sic). Twas never truer - great minds run in the same track. I urge everyone to read it. It's a case of "them that has gets". Just by stealing the last pennies in bank accounts can make you a millionaire.
    dono

Townsfolk
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvoakley
    Why are there so many condos being built in Amherst? Real simple - they get tax breaks. I'll give you an example: a "condo" in Brompton Hgts recently sold for 500K. The "assessed" value of that property is 208K - a difference of 300k. That's 300k of property tax not paid. So who does pay it? All the other taxpayers in Amherst. The developers in Amherst sell their condos by telling the buyers that while they'll pay $500k for their condo, they rest of the town taxpayers will subsidize their mortgage payments by reducing the tax liability on the property. Not bad eh? Is is any wonder your taxes are going up ? Look around and see how many "condos" are being built. The newest one on Sheridan Dr will really put it to the Amherst taxpayers. And what will our esteemed Super do ? NOTHING!
    They are getting a tax break because they don't use town services and there is usually not a lot of land to tax. Wonder why your taxes are so high? You are paying for all those unnecessary town employees, way too many police officers at high salaries, 4 libraries, an ice rink, a senior center, a museum, just to name a few. Do we really need all those golf courses? Do we really need a senior center just so that old people have a place to play cards? Everyone pays for leaf pick-up too, whether you have leaves or not. How fair is that?

I agree that developers are manipulating the system-- but if you want lower taxes in Amherst, get to the root of the problem.

1000 mile journey

The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. The condo owner don't utilize town services? That's a lot of bull crap. The only thing they don't do is plow. Just because they have small lots shouldn't be a criteria otherwise trhere are many houses in Amherst that shouldn't be paying taxes because they have small lots. You're talking expenditures and I'm talking revenues. Smoeone should pay the difference in assessments and market values and it should not be the other taxpayers.
    dono

For my part, I think the taxes are high here in Amherst because of the quality of life provided, and I don't mind that. I lived most of my life in a poor-ish part of Buffalo, and we didn't have nice library buildings or community centers or an ample police force or recreation and cultural facilities or a youth board. I would have liked to have those things in my neighborhood, growing up. I moved out here to Amherst when I could afford to do so because I wanted to live in a community that had those things, and accordingly, I expect to pay for them. But that's just me, and I claim no more validity to my opinion other than that it is my own. (I don't post much, but I've read enough of this forum to know that others do not agree, which is their right.)

But I hope no one minds getting back to condos, because I'm very curious about this.

Townsfolk wrote:
    They are getting a tax break because they don't use town services and there is usually not a lot of land to tax.

I don't know a lot about condos, never having owned one, but I did know that they pay lower taxes (are assessed lower?) but not why. Your explanation makes sense, but how does it work? What town services do condo owners not use?

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan
    People who choose to live like congested parasites dependent on materialistic systems and abundance for survival deserve what happens to them.
    This is a PROPOSED development they are talking about, duh! How can you say they "deserve what happens to them"?

If I'm not mistaken condos are taxed less. That could create the lower assessment. Rather than have separate tax rates, you lower the assessment by a set percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ontario Sailor
    This is a PROPOSED development they are talking about, duh! How can you say they "deserve what happens to them"?
    Because the status quo will never change. That being abundance, self-centeredness, apathy, dependence, and materialism. Has nothing to do with what has been or will be Proposed.

Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    If I'm not mistaken condos are taxed less. That could create the lower assessment. Rather than have separate tax rates, you lower the assessment by a set percentage.
    Do you know what the rationale behind the less taxes/lower assessment, though? I'm not taking a side either way. I seem to recall, though, someone explaining it to me -- and I think it was about services -- but I can't recall what it was. Water/sewer service maybe? Or the plowing of their roads? I could be completely off-base, though, don't quote me. I just thought someone here might know.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish23
    Do you know what the rationale behind the less taxes/lower assessment, though? I'm not taking a side either way. I seem to recall, though, someone explaining it to me -- and I think it was about services -- but I can't recall what it was. Water/sewer service maybe? Or the plowing of their roads? I could be completely off-base, though, don't quote me. I just thought someone here might know.
    This is what I found out so far....

Real Property Law - Article 9-B–Condominium Act, Section 339-Y
    Real Property Law 339-y, adopted in 1983, states that even though a condominium unit is independently owned and sold, it has to be valued as if the whole complex was being sold as a single entity, like an apartment complex. The basis of this law is that condo-miniums own common area together and pay an association fee.

The condominium complex is valued as one entity just like a commercial apartment complex. Once a value is established, then the % allocation of each unit is divided into the value to come up with a unit value for each unit. All of the unit values added together will equal the value for the whole which was established for the complex.

As a result, a condominium unit may have an assessment that is less than its likely selling price, even on an assessment roll that is at 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    This is what I found out so far....

Real Property Law - Article 9-B–Condominium Act, Section 339-Y
    (snipped)
    Thanks for finding that. Sort of that it has to be one parcel, not a sum of its parts, I guess, then.

I called a friend who owns a condo, and she told me that the services they don't receive are garbage pickup, road maintenance/plowing, and something about the water I didn't quite follow -- that it's only provided to the property line of the condo development, and within is the association's responsibility? I'm no engineer, or even a plumber, so I didn't know exactly what that meant. And that's just what said friend said, I'm assuming she's correct.

I don't know if condos bear responsibility for high taxes in Amherst -- I guess anything's worth studying -- but I've heard the bit about them being "taxed less" often enough that I was curious about why. (I also once briefly considered whether I'd want to buy one, but quickly decided I couldn't afford one bigger than a breadbox, lol.)

...something about the water I didn't quite follow -- that it's only provided to the property line of the condo development, and within is the association's responsibility? I'm no engineer, or even a plumber, so I didn't know exactly what that meant.
    Its like having a bunch of your friends over for dinner and everyone sits at the table. Then the pizza guy delivers the pizza to the door. You (the condo complex owner) keep the pizza on the table next to the door. Now, since all your guests dont know how to get up and get their own slice, you serve them for a fee.

Inotherwords, the utilities are brought to a designate spot on the property near the property line, and that is where the Town responsibilty of breakdown, manfunction, etc ends. All installation and maintenance beyond that point to the Condo Units in paid for by the Complex.

I called a friend who owns a condo, and she told me that the services they don't receive are garbage pickup, road maintenance/plowing, and something about the water I didn't quite follow -- that it's only provided to the property line of the condo development, and within is the association's responsibility? (snipped)
    Think of it like this, the water authority is responsible, for pipe maintenance, up to the street curb, you as a homeowner are responsible from the the street curb to your house and within.

In the case of a condo, the water authority is responsible to the property line or some other line of demarcation. Then the association is responsible from that line to your connection, and you're responsible from the connection to the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan
    Because the status quo will never change. That being abundance, self-centeredness, apathy, dependence, and materialism. Has nothing to do with what has been or will be Proposed.
    Kind Sir or Madam, if you are referring to the residents in that area, which you were in your original posting, you are inaccurate. I will meet you at the flag pole after school to defend their honor.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information