Thread: Poor Sam Hoyt

Poor Sam Hoyt

Quarter Mill In Bank...TV Planned As Hoyt Contemplates Brown Challenge
    Written by Glenn Gramigna, Editor
    Sunday, 10 February 2008
    "There's No Explanation For It," Assemblyman Hoyt Says, But Mayor Brown Is Coming After Him!

Assemblyman Sam Hoyt insists that he has no personal beef with Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown. In fact, as WNY's senior Democratic state legislator, he has gone out of his way to pull in record amounts of state aid for the city since Mayor Brown took office. Yet, he is convinced that political forces allied with the Mayor will sponsor a Democratic primary challenge against his re-election next September, though he has no idea who the opponent might be.

"There is no explanation as to why they would want to sponsor a challenger against me," Hoyt declares. "But, whoever they put up, and I know it's going to be somebody, but whoever they put up, we are going to be ready for them. I've got a quarter of a million in the bank I am ready to run TV commercials as part of my campaign to win re-nomination. we'll be ready for any challenger they put up and I will run on my record and I will win."

The veteran legislator believes that the strongest argument for his re-election relates to his experience in Albany and the clout it has won him, especially in recent years.

"I feel that my seniority combined with my unique relationship with this governor offers me a special opportunity to do good some good things for Buffalo and WNY, Assemblyman Hoyt states. "I would much prefer to concentrate on government, on doing good things for the people of my district, rather than being pre-occupied with a political race. But, if they do challenge me, I will meet that challenge and I will beat whoever they put up."

The Assemblyman adds that he has asked Mayor Brown about this subject, but that the Mayor offered no explanations or clarification.

In 2007, political forces allied with the Mayor offered challenges to Councilman Mike LoCurto and party endorsed Council candidate Dave Rivera as well as Erie County Legislature Majority Leader Maria Whyte. All the Mayor's candidates were defeated, though the Brown contender vs. Rivera came close. Assemblyman Hoyt considered a run for mayor against Brown early last year but ultimately decided not to run.

"Why would they want to take someone like Maria Whyte away from working for the benefit of the public and force her to do political work," Hoyt asks. "I don't understand it. It doesn't make any sense to me."

In order of red highlights:

1. Isnt State Senator William Stachowsk WNY's senior Democratic legislator? Bad writing by the author of the article.

2. Sam Hoyt has gone out of his way to pull in record amounts of state aid for the City? Geez Sam, isnt it your JOB as an elected official to get the most for your district? Are you really complaining about doing your job? And where has this money gone? I dont see the City prospering by all this money you claim to have brought us.

3. $250,000 huh? Way to try and intimidate people and scare them out of their Democratic right to run in a primary.

4. Unique relationship with the Governor? How are you and Eliot any closer than the other 108 Democrats in the Assembly? Is it because you cowtail to his desires and support ridiculous ideas from Spitzer, yet when Pataki was Gov. you railed against him as the only problem in Albany? (Side note: I dont think Pataki as a good Gov. either!)

5. You would much prefer to not have an opponent? No kidding. You think you deserve a free pass to continue taking $90,000+ from taxpayers who receive little to nothing in return? Come on Sam, I thought the Democrats were for Democracy?

6. If you and Maria Whyte cant be legislators and run for office at the same time without crying about it, maybe you shouldnt be in office anymore.

You sound like a big crybaby Sam. No one has even announced against you yet. You would think someone with sooo much political and governmental experience would have a stronger backbone and would welcome the challenge and debate the opponent, rather than say look at me. I have done all these things for you, I have $250K and will bury anyone who comes near me. Yeah, just what we need in Albany.....

Oh and another thing. I just looked on the NYS Board of Elections website and it shows Sam as having $56,000 on hand, not $250,000. So, is it a case of fuzzy math or does Sam have the assurances of Spitzer and Sheldon Silver that they will give him that kind of money?

Correct!

Yes, Senator Stachowski s the longest serving dem from WNY. And what Sam probably meant to say was that he COULD raise a quarter million.

Quote Originally Posted by knowsitall
    Yes, Senator Stachowski s the longest serving dem from WNY. And what Sam probably meant to say was that he COULD raise a quarter million.
    Hmmm. The article clearly quotes Hoyt as saying he has a quarter million in the bank.... not that he could raise a quarter million..... either way I think Hoyt is turning into a goon.

Your first problem Crabby, is believing anything that Gramigna says. That guy is as dirty as dirty gets, bought and paid for by the Lenihan crew.

Thread Information